1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who does good rust refinishing, bluing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by magnumshot, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I've got a Winchester 1400 Ranger smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights that was resting on the bottom of a safe in contact with the metal and it's got surface rust on the outside of chamber area where it contacts the receiver. The rest of the barrel looks excellent. Probably useable like it is, but I've had it sitting in a jar of Kroil for a couple years now just so it wouldn't get any worse. I've always thought about having it stripped and reblued. Either that or sell it like it is for $75.

I also have a 50's vintage pellet gun that is very nice but was kept in a shed. Surface rust not too bad. I don't want to sell this, rather I'd like to restore it.

Any recommendations?

2. mt

mt Member

I've heard they do a nice job
    www.gunbluing.com

3. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

Try this guy I've only heard good things about him.

Jim

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Sycamore Hill Design did a nice job on my Ithaca 37R.
    Make sure you specify hot or cold treatment. I think you need the cold rust for a soldered rib.

Pictures are not nearly as nice as the actual work.

The fade in the letters is only in the picture. Blue work is stunning!
    Lou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

magnumshot- I suspect that the cost of hot bluing your Win 1400 would not be equal to the value increase of the gun after it was reblued. You can refinish the metal with hot blue. You do not need to use the slow rust method.

Roger C. Once the metal has been polished and the tanks are hot, hot bluing from the start to the finish takes only around 15 minutes (using 6 tanks- cleaner, hot water,salts, hot water, salt killer, oil).

When I slow rust blued, the job took about 30 days. Buffing only required about 5 minutes per day but the process lasted about 30 days.

Hot bluing takes a lot of shop space and usually requires a dedicated room. It makes a great mess. Slow rust bluing requires a rather small wood box and a very small light bulb. It does not make a big mess in the work area.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.