1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who does good backboreing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twcpdc, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I am considering back boreing my gun. Would like some in put on who you have used and cost. O/U not lined screw in chokes do they fit the chokes also. Thanks for info. Tom

2. warren

warren Member

I have a Browning XT that is backbored and a Rem. 870 that is not and there is a noticable difference in the recoil. In fact the Browning is the softest shooting 12 ga. I've ever shot which is a consiterable amount of different shotguns.

warren

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont waste your money

Dont ruin your guns value

Dont ruin your gun

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

money makers guncraft- omaha ne. 402-556-0226

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Unless your gun has something REALLY wrong with the bore that can be corrected only by an overbore. leave it alone. You won't see or feel any change in performance.

MK

6. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

The gun is a MT6 it has a lot of things done to it ported and is plated in a satin nickel finish so it is not near orginal the barrel are marked 18.4 but I measure is at 728 to 730 it is not the same all through the barrel I guess before me it was neglected and has been honed or polished. This is why I am looking to make sure it is even and true the full length of barrel. I like the gun and plan on keeping it. Thanks Tom

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

How does it pattern, Tom? Does it shoot straight?

Backboring is like having all your teeth capped. Possible, but probably not necessary. You're talking about two ten-thousandths of an inch. If the gun shoots where you look, I'd leave it alone and save your money.

Put it in terms of what you expect to improve by throwing a grand at it. What do you expect to get for your money?

Just one opinion.

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

bobdog is right on!!!!

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Good post bobdog.

Tom, at least pattern your gun first - do a minimum of 5 patterns. Use factory shells and record the load data.

If you send the barrel out, include the patterns and what you want to change in the pattern.

When it comes back, do another five patterns and share your "improvements" with us.

Most people who have had barrel work done are happy with it; but not many know what changed or by how much. I often wonder if their satisfaction is part of justifying having spent money.

I know one case where a barrel came back and the guy could not shoot a decent score with it. He reverted to using his O/U. A fluke, or maybe it is him - who knows. I have not seen him pattern the gun he just shoots at birds.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.