1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO DO YOU MISS DURRING THE HOLIDAYS?????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy Holidays:
    i miss my father especially during the holidays. my father was born the oldest son of two immigrants Stefanu and Maria Balistreri. he only went to 8th grade. his father passed away when he was kid, and he quit school to help support his mother and 4 brother and sisters. as a growing young man, he worked at commision row loading and unloading fruits and vegetables. when he was 18 he was called up to fight for our country. he found himself on an island by the name of Okinowa. he had a flame thrower on his back and had to go into numerous tunnels on that island. i found this information out from my mother after he passed away. he would never talk about his experiences on that island. When he returned home after the war he was always in pain due to substaining injuries. he would never complain, he was the touhest (sob) i ever knew. when i called my mother a name one day, he chased me all over the neighborhood to talk to me and to appoligise to her. when i did something good, all he had to do was wink at me, and i knew he was proud that i was his son. he was a garbage man for the city of MIlwaukee. he worked for the city for 38 years. he never missed a day due to illness. on august 8th 1967, he got to work 5 minutes late and his boss docked him the 5 minutes. we had the Milwaukee race riots that day, a police officer was shot, and traffic was slow and being rerouted until a curfew was imposed. he was a kind and gentle man to my children too. when he got ill from years of smoking, i went to see my dad in the hospital. he lost alot of weight and was gasping for air. outside his room, i asked the doctor, how much time do you think he has? the doctor said probably about a month. i said goodnight to him, and i said i would see him tommorow. as i was walking to the elevators, something made turn around and go back to his room. i thanked him for being such a good father, and he grabbed my finger and held it tight. the next morning at work, i got a call at 8:30am, my supervisor came over to me and said i had an important call from my wife. i knew what had happened without even talking the call. i remember the shock of hearing that my dad passed away that morning. that is something i will never forget. for all of you who have lost a mother or father, you know how hard the holidays can sometimes be. i hope the pain will lessen over time. i will go downstairs now and clean up my reloading room. my wife said she notices that i spend more time down there when i have something bothering me. i remember my dad saying something to me when i was a little boy" he said the good die young" i suggest that you call or visit your parents today, if you are lucky enough to still have them. i would give anything inorder to do that today.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Now that Grammie has told us the TRUTH about Christmas, nothing is missing! Oh yeah.....I do miss Bing Crosby!

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Steve I too miss both of my parents this time of year and also two brothers. My father also worked hard all his life to make sure his kids had a roof over their heads and three square meals. I remember one Christmas he worked a second job selling Christmas trees in the evening to earn enough money to buy presents for us kids. And my mom could make a silk purse from a sows ear and spent most of her time before Christmas knitting and crocheting presents and all the while taking care of six children. There were tough times but my parents somehow always kept it away for us kids. I was really lucky to have been raised by TWO loving parents and a mom that was always at home when I came home from school.

I think times are tougher now, that almost always both parents have to work and the day care centers are raising our children. My wife and I made the decision when my little boy was born to raise him with a parent always at home. There are times you have to go without what the joneses have but in the long run our child will be raised with our values not someone elses.

Merry Christmas to you all!
    Jim Trujillo

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

sbray:
    sorry to hear about your mother's illness. my mother inlaw has Alzheimer's too. my mother inlaw has had it for roughly 10 years counting from the start of when we first started noticing problems with her. try to have a nice holiday. i agree, xmas doesn't seem the same. no one can take away our memories.
    steve balistreri

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Ronald Regan. Everytime I turn on the news.

Jim

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, at least you had the chance to tell your father how much you loved him BEFORE he passe away. I only hope that I will be able to do the same. Thank You for the message. I will try to make the most of the time my parents have left. You just never know how much or how little that may be. Merry Christmas to all. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Steve,

What you wrote here was eloquent. I'd not critique it's motivation, as Pukey did, but take it as it is, something you kindly shared with all of us to help us appreciate life. Yesterdays are past, Tomorrows are not promised, and we only have Today.

Sort of like trapshooting Pukey.

SEASONS GREETINGS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I lost my grandfather a few days before Christmas back when I was in my teens. He went steelhead fishing and never came back. I just got home from a search and rescue (I was in the Civil Air Patrol, a USAF auxilliary) and my dad had me get in the car to drive from Portland OR to Auburn WA. I didn't have time to change out of my uniform. It was late when we got there, and a search was to start early the next morning. His car was found on the Stuck River a few miles east of the main Northern Pacific rail line next to a hwy (I forget the highway number). I said based on the info, he would be at one of three rapids, since I fished those rapids. We started out and within a few minutes they found him right where I said he'd be. It was my first experience with death, and it was totally surreal seeing him there. He had a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the ground. He was still clutching his fishing rod.

Many years later, after I was married, I got a call on Christmas Eve that my grandmother had passed away within the hour. That sure put a damper on things.

The simple fact is... people are born every day, and people die every day. Including on or around Christmas. We take it harder around this time because it's suppose to be a time of joy and happiness. But if you stop to think what we are really celebrating, and the message (redemption and rebirth), then it should not be sadder than usual at all. We feel sadder because, well, to be frank, we're selfish and we're thinking about ourselves and how this is affecting our good time. Keep it in perspective and reconsider the true meaning of Christmas, not the commerical meaning.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pukey, if you ever cared in your life for the feelings of your fellow man, you'd delete your posts in this thread. That's all I'm going to say about it.

10. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I guess Pukey broke the truce. Why even comment on Steve's post? So much for the "Spirit of Christmas." Sad....

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Dad mostly....he was my shining example and I'm still trying to feel my way into being the patriarch of my family...but then again it's only been 7 years...

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Christmas day 1969, 5 days out of Dac Sut, central Vietnam, our recon team was operating near the village of Ban Phon in southern Laos. We were moving toward extraction at a river LZ when we were hit from behind and above by a reinforced platoon of NVA. Our one-one, Sgt. Calvin "Skeeters" Daubert and two Yards were hit hard in the first rush. Daubert couldn't use his legs. He and the Yards stayed by the trail to cover our withdrawal to the LZ. The recovery force the next day found hundreds of 5.56 and 7.62 casings and some pieces of web gear but they never found anything more than a trace of the three men.

I go to visit Calvin's wife for Christmas every year. I miss him as much now as I did then and I hope I always do.

Morgan

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't miss anybody. They are all here. 4 Children, 8 Grandchildren. All have holidays and extra time. So it's a nuthouse here for a week.

Sometimes I have to go to the loading room for a while because the noise and ruckus gets heavy.

But that's okay. I'm glad they're all nearby instead of flung all around the country like some I know.

And the Grandbabies are really proud to give me the presents they picked out themselves.

Soon It will be quiet again.........till Easter.

HM

14. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Usually the family as i am usually workin.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I am now missing all the guys I had so much fun being nasty with!Where did they go?

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I miss the Wall St. Bull....

Curt

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I miss my buddy Tom P. He was genuine good old boy from Georgia. What a great person. God Speed Tom.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I miss my Amish grandparents who raised me every day of my life but the holidays are especially hard. They were the hardest working, most ethical caring people I have ever met. They devoted their lives to helping others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.