1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do FFL holders contact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mikeinmich, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Have you ever wondered? Who exactly do FFL holders contact to verify information for a firearms transfer? With all of the homeland security and all it just struck me as odd that I never even thought about it before. Is it an automated system? Available online? With all the compuer "hacking" going on I have to wonder just how secure this system is at the present.

2. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

We call 1-800-you-a-crook...

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

ATF has a website to check licenses

Ed Yanchok

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

The State Police in the home state, by telephone. They check their (and maybe the feds) database.

5. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Thanks for the serious responses. The point is; does anyone really know! We all go through the process and what does it accomplish? Once I sell or give away a firearm to someone in another state it's up to them to register the firearm in their state unless the transfer went through an FFL holder. The state of my residence doesn't track the transfer!I've gone to them to tell them that the firearm is no longer in my possession and they don't care!

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

ozbud, your violating rule #1 when you sell a firearm to an individual from another state without the benefit of an FFL holder.

If you get caught, while unlikely, it's off to a small cell with roomate Bubba!!

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

ozbud, the plethora of local, state and federal laws make it difficult to answer any question about what is legal/not legal when selling/buying a gun. Technically, there are no ownership data files at the federal level for a specific firearm

Let's say you purchase a long gun from your friendly local gun shop. In most states you will fill out the federal form. They will do a phone call to check against the national data base. This will either be done to a state agency or to a national toll free number. The gunshop will provide a 15 digit code to identify their shop and a separate password. They will then identify you by name, gender, age (and ss number if available). The check comes back as either OK, delayed or denied. (there are some exemptions for people with carry permits issued by a state etc). If OK, the feds keep the info about the transaction for up to 24 hours. If it is a state agency they can only keep the info for 24 hours. After that the feds have no info about the transaction. This is an attempt to protect your privacy rights.

In most states there is no data base of gun ownership. Some localities do keep info on various types of guns. For example, in Omaha all handguns are required to be registered with the local police. Long guns have no such requirements.

So when you sell your gun. If you sell to a private individual in most states there is noone to notify. In most cases there is no record of what guns you own so no need to tell them about a sale. For me in Omaha, if I sell a handgun I need to let the local police know that I don't own the gun any more. Any long gun, there is no one to notify as no government agency keeps any info about these guns.

Every state/locality is different. YMMV

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's where I connect to: http://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov/servlet/echeck.http.Index

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

we call the nics its in Morgantown WV they have the online way now but if you only have one name to run its quicker to call if you get a delay order then the online way works to all you people that worry about gun regestering that dont mean anything just keeps a lot of people working i have the info on file from 1976 some of the people that i sold guns to are long dead and family have sold their guns there is no way to trace that if the gun is found at a crime seen the police run a check to see if they can find where it came from [that is what they want you to think] i have NEVER had a call it is a dead end all we do is follow the rules to keep our ASS out of jail the new 4473 has a question added 11 f [ have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective ] HELL thats 90% of you all rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.