1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who could make an add-on rib like this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Had some time on my hands yesterday, and was toying around with the idea of a new add-on rib for my gun. I'm presently using a piece of delrin which was waterjet cut, 1/4" tall. Very simple and straight forward. I would like to try one which would very closely replicate the new Kolar Max rib (I really like the idea, but not nearly enough to drop $4500 on a new set of barrels LOL).

This is what I came up with:

skeetman_2008_030321.jpg

The biggest issue is that it will need to be tapered in at least width (from approx 11mm to 8mm), because the rib thats attached to the rib is tapered, and will probably need to be tapered in height was well to facilitate the correct POI (as i have it set now, its just under 7/8" at the tallest point). If the rib was made parallel in width, it'd be ALOT easier to have cut...

Right as I have it set now, its about 3.5oz if done out of aluminum according to the program I'm using, and is about as hollowed out as I think it could get (.1" of material top and bottom, with .25" wide pillars/posts). I could do it in delrin or ABS, and would make it a little beefier if I did, my biggest concern is not going over about 4oz on the weight, and the lighter the better.

Any thoughts on who could do something along these lines? I have an email into keensites to get their impression, based on what I can surmise on their website, it should run around $250 if its something thats possible for them to create (CAD kinda sucks that way some times, you can design all sorts of neat stuff that would work perfectly for what you need, but there's no way to make it, or no way to make it economically LOL). I know devault probably could in delrin, but I'd be looking at close to $450, and would really like to get this done for half of that or less.

I'm guessing wire edm, or possibly waterjet would be the easiest way to get this done as closely as possible to what I have drawn, since all the inside angles would have to be radiused if milled, which would add even more weight. I'm guessing this project is a few months off, and alot of trial and error with mock-ups at the patterning board anyways, so I'm in no real rush, as I get closer to completion, I can probably shop the design around to a couple shops in my area and see what they have to say...

Thoughts appreciated. I have a buddy who can powdercoat it for me for nothing, or I can send it out and have it anodized, so finish isn't a concern at this point.

2. skeet_man

Finally figured out how to do radius' on the program I'm using (free CAD software from emachineshop.com, they provide it free hoping you'll use them to produce your parts, but it will also export .dxf files that your stuff can be made from). Ended up gaining 1/4oz, but I think it looks better anyways, and will be alot easier to make on a mill...

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Before you stray too far re-inventing the wheel, why don't you talk to Josh.

Bob

4. skeet_man

put an email into him as well earlier this evening.

5. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

Jerrie White in Fort Collins, Co. has been making these using Delrin for many years. Slips on existing rib and is held in place using the front sight hole. No additional holes in the rib and you can slide it off and you are back where you started. Point of impact per your requirements. Very kool and great workmanship. Ph #1-970-484-4784.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.