1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who can resolder rib?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Who can resolder loose rib? Have an old SKB that must be resoldered to hold properly. All attempts at adhesives, glues, etc., have been temporary at best. SKB wants $300+ to fix, but will require shipping to Japan in Sept. and return in Jan-Feb. Simmons wants $400+ for same job. Both will reblue. Who else can do this? Rib is attached at both ends, but loose in the middle. Makes a funny vibration noise when closing the gun.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Stu Wright, but I don't know what he charges.

Ken Rucker

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Giacomo did one for me and I was very pleased with the results. I don't remembr the price.

Ed Yanchok

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are located, but the guys st Woodcock Hill can do the work and re-blue the barrels. They are located in Benton, PA.

Not sure of the costs, but they work on old English guns and should be able to handle anything.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have done about 4 SKB O/U and Century single barrel shotguns. 1st. one was 4 years ago and still holding. What I did was get under the rib and clean with 220 cloth for several inch's hammer a 1/16 lead solder down to about .010-.015 then place it with flux between the barrel and underside of rib, a few clamps to add enough pressure so when the solder flows you will force the rib down on barrel. Use propane torch moving constantly in the repair area switching from one side to the other to get uniform heat. You don't want to over heat and discolor the area, and when you see the solder oozing out remove heat and let cool before moving clamps. You have to make sure the effected area is clean after putting all that epoxy or glue under there or the solder will not stick.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It costs twice as much.. if they have to clean out all the gunk you put in to try to fix the problem..

7. wanderer

wanderer Member

Phils Gunsmithing. Phil Crenwellege does resoldering of ribs. Ph. is 210-313-5988, E-mail is pgcrenwelge@yahoo.com. GEG.

8. rocktire

rocktire Member

I have soldered ribs on shotguns with the method toolmaker used. I put the flux under the cleaned rib and then tied it down with soft iron wire over every other post. Then wedged nails under each wire to tighten. Heat the barrel and rib until you can get solder to melt by touching the area where they butt together the flux will pull the solder under. When solder starts to flow out of both sides you are done. Clean up by grinding a 45 degree angle on then end of a file and use it to scrape the area where they butt toghether be carefull not to scratch the blueing. If you don't want to take the risk of hurting the bluing just don't put as much solder under it stop before it comes out. I like to use plenty to make sure it will hold. You can go to You Tube and search soldering a rib and watch it being done.

Good luck,
    and good gunsmith should be able to do it fairly easily.

9. new loader

new loader Member

TOOLMAKER check your private message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does simmons resolder ribs
loose shotgun ribs
resolder loose shotgin rib
resolder loose shotgun rib
resoldier shotgun rib
solder and flux for shotgun rib