1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who can reshape a comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

When I looked at MIA's new custom stock for his BT 99, it got me to thinking about mine. I have a Grade 3 BT 99 with non adjustable Monte Carlo stock. As I place my hand around the pistol grip the front edge of the comb hits the edge of my hand at the base of my thumb. I thought about having an adjustable comb installed but not sure this will solve the problem. So I wonder if the comb and stock could be reshaped to allow for a better grip. i suppose this will involve refinishing an essentially new stock and maybe would be too costly but interested in knowing who might be able to do this.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

IMHO an adjustable comb is never a mistake. If a stock doesn't fit you or causes you some discomfort, you will never shoot the gun up to your capabilities.

The good stock guys that I have seen work will have some tricks up their sleeve when it comes to altering wood. A small alteration to a non checkered area can have the finish touched up with some two part epoxy and some brown dye. I saw this done when I had an adjustable recoil pad installed. You would never know the stock had been touched. Bill Malcolm

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All you need is a file and sandpaper. Only you knows when it fits.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I had to re-shape the non-adjustable M/C comb on my BPS Trap gun to get my eye in line and lower to the rib. Filing and sanding, and shooting until it felt perfect was fairly easy. Stripping and re-finishing is the tougher part, but doable. Now I have a Trap gun that I wouldn't trade for anything! Well......almost!

AndyH

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If I understand correctly, the installation of an adjustable comb will not solve your problem. Again, if I understand correctly. the front nose of the comb is too far forward and when the gun is mounted, the front of the comb forces the base of your trigger-hand too far forward.

Conceptually, the job is an easy one. Wood would be removed to allow comfortable placement of your trigger-hand, assuming there is no stock bolt hole to cause problems.

As was mentioned, the stock would need to be refinished and getting an even contour of the grip where wood is removed is not as easy as it may sound. I suggest you have a professional do it, ideally in your presence.

Rollin

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

On a browning I would charge around $300 for this kind of work including the refinish. It is not hard to do but it may involve some recheckering as well so make sure you have someone who can checker as well.

If you'r anywhere in the Northeast I would be happy to help.

Joe Goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.