1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who can recommend a good air rifle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shootrman, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Looking to buy a good reliable accruate air rifle. Spring loaded is preferred because I dont want to be dependant on cylinders. I dont know alot about them. Been looking at the Gamo varmint hunter and the CFX. These go at 1200 fps. They have another one that is at 1650 fps. with a cocking pound rating of 58 pounds ( which I wouldnt know how to judge). plan on it for target practice, shooting squirels, crow and groundhogs. Appreciate any and all opinions

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Check out the Beeman line of air rifles, or the RWS. If you want a springer, your best best is in the 7 to 12 fp range.

A Beeman R-7 is a 7fp spring operated air rifle that will kill squirrels and birds out to 30 yards with no problem. If you want a little more umph, go to a 12fp model. .177 is the way to go for target and small game, because many air rifle ranges and courses don't allow anything bigger.

3. Wass

Wass Member

I just bought my first air rifle for the family for xmas this year. I got lucky and found it on craigslist, used.

It is a Diana RWS Model 48 with scope. Very nice set up. These are accurrate tack driving machines.

Wass

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've owned a number of air guns, and still do, including springer and compressed models. All have their advantages and disadvantages. From what you've said, I believe that you will find a Nitro Piston model much more to your liking. No mess, no fuss, fast, accurate and deadly for reasonable money.

Since I bought my grandson's Remington Nitro's I've come to really dislike my RWS springers. MY 48 has become a cocking and loading millstone, and my 52 swings like a possum on the end of a rake.

For the money, ease of service and fun-factor go Nitro .22.

IME,
    Kip

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What ZZT said.

6. jwells

jwells Member

where did you find the 48 waas? city i mean

7. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

If you want an air rifle for mainly indoor target shooting 5 meters or 15 feet, look into the Daisy 499 BB gun. Not only good to teach your younger's with, it fun to shoot when they're not around. The 499 is a single shot muzzle loader.

For shooting 10 meters or 33 feet, there two that is use and they are both Daisy's. The 853 is a single stroke pneumatic and the 888 that is a co2 type. Off hand I use the 853 at 10 meters and from the sitting position, I use the 888 at 50 feet.

At 50 feet I shoot 10 shots, one shot per bull on a 10 bull target. My goal is to shoot ten 10's on one target. Been doing this for several winters and have done it yet. A few target with eight 10's, not many with p of them and no all 10's, yet.

Jim Morrison

8. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

I bought a Remington Nitro .22 about 6 months ago. I haven't had many air rifles but I needed one that was accurate and quiet. I'm very happy with the rifle that I got. Out to 30 yards it is very consistent and quiet. I've shot up one can of 500 pellets so far and really look forward to the next can. Nice air rifle. Don't know about groundhogs but the squirrels and crows certainly won't like it.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Beeman R-9 in .20 cal. No need to look futher!!

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Mr. Kipling, when an air rifle is listed as having a nitro piston or gas piston, excuse my ignorance, does this mean it operates on a gas cylinder such as a co2 cartridge or nitrogen. This is something I wanted to stay away from.
    There is alot I wan to know before I jump on it and just buy one.

11. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

I've had a Beeman R10 for over 15years now. I can't tell you how many squirrels and crows I've put down in that time. The trigger is very crisp just like my Perazzi and it's super quiet.

12. cnsane

cnsane Member

Friends don't let friends buy Gamos. Beeman's old line up was quality air guns. Now half of them are crap. Stick with the German and English air guns if you want accuracy and a lifetime of rebuildable quality. See the straightshooters.com web site for ADULT airguns and pellets. All my H-W's RWS's and my old Webley will keep every pellet in the bottom of a beer can at 50 yards, standing off-hand. Just like optics, you get what you pay for. And some folks will argue tooth and nail that a $200 dollar airgun is every bit as good as a $600 dollar one in their opinion. They'll also defend their affordable Tascos against unrealistically priced Zeiss Conquests.

BTW: Nitro piston is just a gas strut instead of a coil spring in a "springer" powered air gun. They're just hyped to be faster, better, and less maintenance. In my first hand experience, they are only smoother than a coil during the shot cycle.

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I have a 177cal Beeman's "R1" with a scope that I am thinking about putting up for sale after the first of the year. The rifle hasn't been shot very much and I am the only owner of this rifle.

I will be right up front with you the rifle has some age on it but it still shoots hard. Why I am even thinking about selling it is I just don't shoot it and it just sets in the safe.

I am still working on the first box of jet pellets that I got for it and I think its still 1/2 full.

PM me if your interested?

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have a RWS #45 that I picked up 24 years ago and still in perfect condition, also the older BSA made in England are well made.

15. ron y

ron y TS Member

buy a hw 77,,great trigger,,very accurate,,fair price

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Good luck as your little project can drive you nuts unless you are dedicated! I bought an R7 this summer and so far have tried 5 different pellets with 3 of them horrible from a bench, 1 fair, and 1 of them good! The tough part is that this thing will shoot outstandingly if I use free recoil and just decent if held onto! I am still trying to figure out how to shoot the damn thing using free recoil out my patio door when needed?! Tom Rhoads

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

As far as the cheap ones go (under $70), I don't think you can come close to the Crosman 2100. It has a rifled barrel, metal receiver, is powerful and very accurate. The Benjamin will cost you twice as much, but you do get what you pay for.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tom, the R7 is a springer so bench rest and hand-held shots have a very different POI. I solved the problem by resting my wrist on the bench and holding the rifle in my hand (from a bench rest). From a doorway, I grip the edge of my sliding door with my left hand and rest the rifle on my forearm. That way POIs are the same at home at at the range.

My R7 simply loves the JSB Diablo Exact pellets. I prefer the blue labeled can (7.5gr) and the orange/red labeled can. 8.6gr. Both are equally accurate, but the lighter pellet shoots flatter. It also likes the 7.5gr flat points. They cut a rounder, neater hole in the target, but the Diablos work much better on game, silhouette, etc.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

.177's for fun. .20's for accuracy and .22's for killing bigger stuff. Push the 177's too hard and accuracy often suffers but they do shoot flat. .20 cal. is a great compromise but pellet selection is somewhat limited. I've found the .20 cal. tends to shoot the most accurate. A Beeman R9 in .20 cal. is deadly on horseflies when they land on your target and cocking effort is reasonable. The next step up in power is either a Beeman R1 (springer) or an RX2 (gas piston). They require man sized muscles for cocking and are the minimum for killing Groundhog sized animals. .22 Cal. pellets are necessary for decent kills. The RX2 with the gas piston can be left cocked indefinitely while springers should be fired immediately.

That said, I've owned nearly every RWS made and never was happy with any of 'em. Be prepared to pay extra dollars for a quality scope. Anything less will soon self destruct from the recoil of a high velocity springer!!

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Actually, it is not the recoil of a springer that kills scopes, it's the rebound. You definitely want to buy a scope that is designed for spring powered air rifle use, AND you want to buy air rifle mounts. The have a small screw in the rear mount that you can lower into the hole in the receiver to keep the scope from sliding. Otherwise you'll have to really, really tighten the mounting screws. I first tried an old Beeman scope with the adjustable width dovetail mount. No matter how much I tightened the screws, I could not keep the thing from sliding.

I've never shot a .20 cal, but my R7 in .177 is accurate enough to consistently hit a hanging cloths pin at 50 yards. I bought the .177 because the club I belong to does not allow anything bigger on the field range or on silhouettes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

7fp air rifle