1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who can explain how to use a compass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Google <I>how to use a compass</I> and take your pick.

What you're talking about is land navigation and it takes the military weeks to teach it.

MK

2. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

It is really quite simple. First, pick an easily point on the mountain in the area you want to hunt and take the compass and shoot an bearing on it. Make sure it the point is easily seen from your truck and vice versa, from the point back to your truck. Once you have shot the bearing to your reference point all you have to do now is do is a back azimuth from that point. This is really simple, if the bearing you shot to your point is more than 180 degrees, then subtract 180 from that bearing. example, from your truck to the point on the mountain is 270 degrees, subtract 180 from it and your back azimuth is 90 degrees from that point back to your truck. If it is less than 180 degrees, then you add 180 degrees to it, example, bearing to your point on the mountain is 90 degrees, then add 180 degrees to it, which is 270 degrees and that is your azimuth back to your truck. On your return trip, shoot a bearing on the same as your return azimuth to a an easily found lanmark and walk to it and continue this process till you return to your truck. Till you get used to doing this, try and keep your way point somewhat short so you will stay on track. Any more questions, just ask.
    Van

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

as cheap as hand held gps's are,that might be the way to go.Save the route you take,and follow it back.very easy.

Doug H.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second using a GPS, fool proof and much easier. I am trained to use a compass but i prefer a GPS

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a free ebook at Amazon

Click the links on the left to advance through the book.

...and as SF SGM said, always walk in a straight line. If you go into the field and wander around for half a day, a compass isn't much use unless you record each direction change and take a back bearing for the return trip (and count your steps between each direction change).

MK

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Where's Tron when you need him??

Wayne

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzCFqnzt1DU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzCFqnzt1DU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Learned how when I was a cub scout. Learned again when I was a boy scout. Learned again when I learned to scuba dive. Never needed to learn again, since I just do it naturally. A GPS has almost replaced the compass, but what do you use for a backup? Best way is to get a simple book and go out and use the compass with a map. Leave a trail of breadcrumbs, just in case.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@Carl!!!! Hap

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Spin yourself in circles. When you stop the front of you is north. Well it could be south to LOL

10. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Forget the compass.

Carry a stake, marker, and a hammer, upon getting lost simply pound the stake into the ground, place some grade numbers on it, then step back, and within 10 minutes atruck driver will back over the stake, and give you a ride out.

Tom R. ( retired operating engineer)

P S If no trucks are around, a dozer operator is just as good.

11. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Here is another simple method, if you are lost, just look on the map and where you think you are, add 100 meters and call "redleg" for one round of smoke and watch where it lands, used to work a long time ago before GPS and the the world of old maps..

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as being lost!

Just look around ... there you are ... only problem is where is the rest of the world?

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

ran200,

SF SGM nailed it with his first reply to you. Get the compass out and go over to the nearest athletic field where you can see clearly and have at it. Just follow his instruction and you will have the hang of it in no time. Land navigation is actually kind of fun, (well most of the time). Then there's night land nav....save that one for another day, or night.

CSM Jon Reitz (Ret)

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

GPS may not work under heavy tree canopy so be warned; It isnt foolproof

We have parts of the NY Adirondacks that are so thick, you need a flashlight in the daytime. Can you say Moose river plains?

be safe

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

For the purposes of most hunters and outdoorsmen, my Dad's old common sense compass methods are sufficient. He had a cold-trailing coon dog that sometimes would take us 5 or 6 miles into the woods thru thickets and swamps. So when we went entered the woods, my Dad would stop, show me the compass and say, "We're heading in East so we'll need to come out West, got it?" Then at some point later he'd stop and say. "The dogs dragged us pretty far South, so now we have to come out NORTH-West, got it?" The mandatory answer was "Yes" whether you know what the hell he was talking about or not. He'd stop and make these periodic mental adjustments all night long until I was sure we'd never get out of the woods alive. Finally we'd come out of the woods right into the same damn cornfield where we released the dogs five hours earlier. We always said, "Dad is a lucky SOB." ...Every time.

-Gary

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If outdoor navigation interests you, and you want to really know your subject, I suggest this book.

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Gary,

It sounds like your dad knew how to navigate with a compass.

To the OP:

The needle of the compass always points North. All you have to do is then turn your compass until the needle is pointing at the "N" mark on your compass. Then hold the compass in front of you and the direction you are looking will be the direction on the far side of the compass from you.

For example, if (after aligning the needle with the north arrow on your compass) you look at the mountain in the distance and the side opposite of you (i.e. the side closest to the mountain) says NW, then you would be traveling NorthWest if you walk a straight line to the mountain. To get back to your vehicle, you would need to return in the opposite direction which would be southeast.

Again, ALWAYS align the needle of the compass to point at the north arrow on the compass while holding the compass in front of you. Then whatever direction you are looking will be the direction that is on the side of the compass FARTHEST from you.

Easystreet

18. Mapper

Mapper Member

SGM has it about right, as far as he goes. Use only USGS topographic maps. They are the best. I made many of them. Get a good compass. Practice with it in an area that has some natural features(tree lines, hills, streams, etc) that appear on the map. Better yet, take an orienteering course. Even better, buy a Beaman Alidade and plot your way in to where you are.:))) Using a compass to navigate takes a little practice, otherwise get a GPS unit.

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Marked for later read. Ray

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Daniel Boone was once asked, "have you ever been lost in the wilderness on your journeys?" He said he'd never been lost but mighty bewildered for days on end.
    A friend and I once got caught in a white out snowstorm while deer hunting in a huge pine thicket of several hundred acres. I walked for quite some time before I came across boot tracks. After I followed them for quite a ways, I realized they were my own tracks!! I was walking in a circle to my left! I had to deliberately veer to my right every once in a while to get out of all the white and back to the road. My friend found his way out listening to the truck horn a couple hours later! I coulda used a compass that day for sure!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.