1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who can change Browning Comb to Trad'l Comb?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Here's the thing, love my XT, absolutely hate the factory Browning comb hardware/ setup. I hate having to go thru the butt-end of my stock to make adjustments, hate the multi-washers that I have stacked to keep the comb from falling, hate hearing the comb creak every time I mount the gun to shoot, and I hate the fact that I have to practically use a vise to keep everything in place while trying to make adjustments. I would like to just put the little allen wrench in the 2 screw holes at the top of the comb, pull it off, use the same wrench to adjust the posts up/down or sideways, put the comb back on, tighten it up and shoot.

So, does anyone do the switch, knows that it works and works correctly and it doesn't cost 2 arms and half a leg? I realize it's a pain in the back end to change the hardware, but I've had it with this system (can you tell).

Your help is appreciated - my email is above.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I do them on a regular basis, Sherree....I fill the pockets where the factory junk is with walnut, sand and finish the surfaces and install my hardware.

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

3. srvfan

srvfan Member

Rods custom stocks also has a conversion kit for the new Browning adj stock.

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Ken, you have mail. Thanks!

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually, the washers are a much more repeatable way to set your comb if you change it occasionally - for instance, raise it for handicap. Counting turns of a screw is not very exacting and washers allow you to tell at a glance which position the comb is in. Krieghoffs come with the screw system but I've always left them all the way in and used washers.

I have heard numerous horror stories about Browning's adjustment hardware, though, and think that I'd prefer to buy a standard Monte Carlo stock and have it cut locally.

Ed

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

PSSSSSTTT...just a hint,...don't complain about the hardware....I was yelled at that it was the greatest hardware in the world...What Ed sed!!

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Ed, the washers are in place only to keep the comb from collapsing. I had an unfortunate incident happen when I first got the gun while at a shoot - the comb kept collapsing and I was losing my POI. I typically don't use washers when adjusting my comb, but you do have a good point for those that do.

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Starshot; Have Ken do his VERY professional job on your gun. Ken has done work for me and I have never been dissapointed or overcharged...merlyn..

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Merlyn, I am!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.