1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whn is it time 2 consider going 2 a shorter barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    For the major part of my shooting career I have shot a Remington 870 TB. With every year that goes by, my 16 yard average goes down, as well as my handicap yardage and average. The furthest back that I was ever handicapped in the ATA was 25 1/2 yards. I am now down to 20 yards. Recently, I was speaking to an old timer and he said, "maybe it's time that I shoot with a 28 inch barrel"? So my question is, when do you know it's time to consider shooting with a shorter barrel? What benefits would there be if any, for someone that is getting older? If anyone has gone to a shorter barrel, did it help in any way?
    Steve Balistreri

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One day while shooting my 1100 with a 30 inch barrel a fellow walked by with a 28 inch barrel with 5 choke tubes for sale. Best $100 I ever spent. Try as many barrels as you can, you may get a pleasant surprise. HMB

3. senior smoke

THE UNLOADER:
    1986 that happened.
    Steve

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The time for shorter barrels is when you tumble to the BS that is the long barrel fad. Shorter barreled guns are the standard in the most difficult shotgun disciplines so thinking they won't work in the easiest has always struck me as just way funny.

Charlie

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno about the shorter barrel but at my age I don't think I would be happy with a gun heavier than the 8 1/2 lb gun that I am used to shooting.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You better get enrollled in college quick Steve. You have way to much time on your hamds

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is some good wisdom on this post.. Declining upper body strength is the biggest factor.. Excercise is a must for you to shoot well.. So is good eyesight.. You need a lighter,more dynamic barrel.. Length is not the whole issue.. I shoot a 1.36KG 31.5" MX10 barrel.. Most of the factory 29.5" barrels weigh more.. Shoot a lighter barrel/gun.. and see how you do.. If you come to the GRAND.. I'll let you shoot mine..and see how you like it.. All Good.. Mike

8. senior smoke

cubancigar2000:
    It is funny that you mention that. I just had a guy PM me asking me to give it a rest. Wanting to see if I can not post anything for two days? He asked if I like to see my name in print too? My answers were No, and yes.
    Steve

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke........Rat the guy out, if he's rat enough to complain hiding behind a PM make him a man and expose him. There are more people who enjoy your posts than there is slime balls who complain about everything that doesn't even concern them.

Eddie and PBB are on to something, I've found that when my back is bothering me my scores are affected no matter how hard I try to ignore the discomfort.

P.S. Keep up the good posts, ;-)

Bill

10. senior smoke

Bill:
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Like my mother told me as a boy, like water off a ducks back. The gentleman was nice in his PM. Let's face it, not every man is like Will Rogers.
    Steve

11. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Steve, I will not try to tell you what to do, you have been at this a lot longer than I have. I would like to ask you a couple of questions though.
    I was wondering if you have treated yourself to a new custom stock lately, I just know as big as you say are you are surely not shooting a factory stock, I'm only 5'9" and 175 and after shooting the stock on my 90T I find my 1100 with ajustable comb and pad seems downright wimpy.I also find the heaver stock seems to lighten the front of my gun. I also was wondering with all this time on your hands are you using a wall chart or just mounting your gun a 100 or so times a day,I use Dryfire to work on my doubles during the winter and I do not seem to have much trouble getting through a 400 bird day and my 90T weighs 12lbs or so.I may be a little younger tha you at 62. John #8703697

12. senior smoke

John:
    I never had a custom stock. I usually make adjustment to my stocks. The days of me lifting a gun 100 times a day a few if any.
    Steve

13. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Steve, its great if you want to be a social shooter, but remember the old guy on TV that made the Harley commercial,saying he always wished he would have bought a Harley. John

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I tried the shorter barrel approach but all of my lady friends complained

15. senior smoke

A guy let me try a 28 inch 870 mod barrel. I shot two 16 yard rounds, and 2, 24 yard handicap rounds. Reason for 24 yds, I shoot 30 bird events on Sundays, and that's the yardage we shoot. I wasn't surprised, I was shocked on how well I did. I am going to make a statement that I admit makes no sense, but I have found it to be true in most cases over the years.

This only pertains to using Remington 870 barrels, not choke tubes, I have found if you are a good seasoned shooter, going to a modified 870 barrel seems to lower your scores. If you are new to the sport, or are not that good of shooter, going to a modified 870 barrel seems to raise your scores???? I know it doesn't make any sense, but that is what I have found to be true. What I have also found is that 870 mod barrels are anywhere from .17 to .23 constriction. This 5 or 6 amounts of constriction means a hell of a lot in 16 yard and short handicap shooting. I have tried .17 rem mod barrels and chipped away at targets. On the other hand I tried a .22 mod 870 barrel and I hit the targets with absolute authority.

Only time will tell, but I purchased this .22 mod 870 barrel. I feel like it's 20 to 30 years ago when I shot better than I do now. I smoke the target more often, I also do not need a bus transfer to catch up to my haRD LEFT AND RIGHT ANGLES FROM STATIONS 1 AND 5. Who knows, I just might be competitive again??

This barrel has renewed my enthusiasm for shooting ATA events.
    Steve

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Steve, since a shorter barrel has no perceivable effect on shot pattern the only difference is in gun balance and quickness of target aquisition. That said, I suspect that as we age a shorter barrel may overcome some loss of motion.

When my wife who is 5'5" and 120lbs started shooting with me her complaint when shooting my 1100 Trap was the weight of the gun. I found a deal for a 26" skeet barrel with rem-chokes and she fell in love with it. My suspicion is that the balance of the gun was more significant than the weight.

I own a Browning GTI with 28" barrels which has beem my go too gun for doubles trap, sporting clays, 5-stand, and skeet for 20yrs. While I was at one time decent at skeet shooting I tried it recently for the first time in probably 15yrs. I was horrible, frustrated I took out a Browning Signature Citori 20ga. with 24" barrels that I bought for my grandson when he gets big enough to shoot. What a difference, the gun speed made all the difference and I hit 21 out of 25.

All that being said, please give us future feedback on your quest for the fountain of youth.

Robert

17. senior smoke

RobertT:
    I am starting to think as you do, that the shorter barrel may help us out as we age. For the older guys that still shoot well with long barrels, I tip my hat to you.
    Steve

18. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

When I turned 78 I dropped to a 32" barrel on my K-80 and KS5. made a real differene.

Hank Cross

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Before going to the expense of a shorter barrel/gun try about 6 oz of weight in the butt stock. It moves the balance back and makes the gun seem lighter in front.

20. senior smoke

ou.3200:
    That's a really good idea. Never thought of that.
    Steve

jr:
    Another thing I didn't think of. Must been really slipping lately.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.