1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whiz White

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by philk, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philk

philk Member

Whiz, what do you think is an acceptable variation in powder charge weight thrown by my PW. Loading 17.5 grs Red Dot, with 1 1/8 oz hard eights in a AA hull with WW wads and primer. Weighed charges seem to vary +/- almost 1/2 grain. Probably not much I can do about it but it seems like a lot of variation to me. Phil.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

philk- Pulling the handle on any press with different speeds/force will result in powder drop variations. Presses with an Auto Mate or hydraulic system typically give more consistant powder drops than hand operated presses.

Also, at this time of year, static charge build up can cause irregular powder drops.

Pat Ireland

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Are you weighing charges in process (during actual loading with a good digital scale)? To do this you need the P/W Shot and Powder Measure Kit. If you are not weighing the charges during actual loading you will not get accurate results.

The powder hopper should be at least half full. This will help overcome any static problem.

Jim Skeel

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

What is a PW "Shot and powder measure kit"?

The link is above. Hmmmm

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I think that another thing to remember is that you should always have the operating handle in the DOWN position when adding primers or tapping the primer tray to keep the primer chute full. That way, the bushings are in the EMPTY (DROP) position rather than in the FILL position like they are with the handle UP. Doing anything that taps or vibrates the machine while the handle is up will result in the next drop being a little heavier due to settling that the tapping or vibration causes. .....Rick

6. philk

philk Member

Yep got the baffle, Weighed charges came from cut open shells and checked on a Dillon digital scale. Maybe I just need to stiffen up the bench a bit but it is pretty solid allready. Phil.

7. philk

philk Member

I did pull the top off to check bushing alignment, not sure what it was before but after I cleaned up the mess and reassembeled it looks good. Note to self, DON`T lift up the hoppers and mounting plate while it is full of shot.

8. JACK

philk. NOw that is funny.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

yes, that is funny......but the real funny part is that he isn't the first nor will he be the last to do that trick.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The comment about lifting the mounting plate with the shot/powder bottles full brings back memories.

Align the gears with the mark on the gears and not with the drop hole. The gears bring the bushing over the drop tube when the handle is down. They also move the bushings under the shot/powder bottles when the handle is up. If you align the bushing exactly over the drop tube, they may not go back under the shot/powder bottles correctly.

Pat Ireland

11. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

phil,thats got to be worse than forgetting to turn off shot after draining hopper,mark

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, That one really got the (Laughing Out Loud), Yes I know the feeling of self stupidity as it looks like a few others here do too. You mentioned "tightening up the bench". I load with a Spolar with hydraulics and also PW,s hand powered on the same rugged bench. At one time I had the machines screwed down fairly tight I thought, but always had the(infamous primer feed problem) with the Spolar. I saw somewhere where Dixie Spolar mentioned bolting the machine securely to the bench. I decided to through bolt the machines with bolts that filled the holes on the bases so there could not be any movement. I couldn't believe the difference in all the machines and my primer mis feeds are gone. The screws obviously were flexing enough to create in-consistant operation. You are correct in removing any movement of your machine. I check my shells the same manner as you do and I've not found the variation you are. Good luck, Bob

13. JACK

philk. NOw that is funny.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

yes, that is funny......but the real funny part is that he isn't the first nor will he be the last to do that trick.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

The comment about lifting the mounting plate with the shot/powder bottles full brings back memories.

Align the gears with the mark on the gears and not with the drop hole. The gears bring the bushing over the drop tube when the handle is down. They also move the bushings under the shot/powder bottles when the handle is up. If you align the bushing exactly over the drop tube, they may not go back under the shot/powder bottles correctly.

Pat Ireland

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

phil,thats got to be worse than forgetting to turn off shot after draining hopper,mark

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, That one really got the (Laughing Out Loud), Yes I know the feeling of self stupidity as it looks like a few others here do too. You mentioned "tightening up the bench". I load with a Spolar with hydraulics and also PW,s hand powered on the same rugged bench. At one time I had the machines screwed down fairly tight I thought, but always had the(infamous primer feed problem) with the Spolar. I saw somewhere where Dixie Spolar mentioned bolting the machine securely to the bench. I decided to through bolt the machines with bolts that filled the holes on the bases so there could not be any movement. I couldn't believe the difference in all the machines and my primer mis feeds are gone. The screws obviously were flexing enough to create in-consistant operation. You are correct in removing any movement of your machine. I check my shells the same manner as you do and I've not found the variation you are. Good luck, Bob

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is the press grounded? HMB

19. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I had a older 800B 16XXX that was updated with all the latest updates except the new power hopper/plastic bottom plate. I purchased one at the Grand in 2005 and proceeded to load. As I hadn't shot any trap for years I had two 12 lb steel canisters of PB powder that were 14 years old.

I started to load and the shells varied in powder drops. I was also getting a lot of powder leaking out around the powder shutoff handle/disk. After approx. 85 loads the powder wasn't dropping at all. A friend told me to ground my machine which I did. Another told me to wash the black plastic bottom plate with soap and water and let it dry with the soap on it to reduce static-electricity.

Nothing seemed to help. If I put my old metal plate with the round tubes back on and loaded everything worked perfectly and dropped the correct amount to within 0.1 grn.

Puzzled I tried an experiment. I delibertly let the powder run out on it's own by cycling the machine without jarring the machine as if I were loading shells. I carefully removed the powder/shot hopper from the plastic plate and viewed the inside of the powder hole. What I found was powder stuck to the inside of the plastic hole which was causing my problem. If I removed the plastic plate and blew through it with my mouth the powder would not come out. I had to remove it manually with a bottle brush.

I went back to the metal plate and tubes and loaded on it until I ran out the old stock of PB powder. After that I switched to Clay-Dot. With the new powder hopper/plate in place I had no more problems although the powder still leaked out.

I can only deduce that the old PB powder's graphite or coating was causing the issue as the loads shot great with the old PB.

I have since moved on to a PW 800+ with hydralic and shell feeder. One change I made however was to order the aftermarket aluminum plate that Jim Skeel makes on this forum. No more 'bridging' of powder, no more leaks, priceless!!

My two cents and hope this might help.

Michael Stephenson

20. philk

philk Member

Interesting, never thought about grounding it. I have always been a little worried about a static spark igniting the powder. I`ll run a ground wire and try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.