1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whiz White

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Whiz;

Didn't you offer a $600 adjustable stock a while back? I tried emailing you a couple of weeks ago but received no reply.

I am in the final stages of editing my book for a second printing and would like to include your stock if it is still available (and if it was you who offered it originally.)

Rollin

2. 6878mm

6878mm Member

I am waiting for a reply from Whiz as well his email might be U/S

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've been getting emails, but not from you.

I did have a computer crash with XP Pro and in the process of working on-line with Microsoft, the power supply fried a motherboard.

It was my main system, but I have two others here at the shop all receiving emails. Been testing a Duo-Core 3.8MHz Vista machine, but it doesn't recognize one of my color lasers.

What email address are you using? The above is my standard address. If that is what you've been using, and they are coming back or not getting through, do this:

(1) let me know your email address and at least one of the dates sent.

(2) I'll chew some butt at the local ISP. They are getting a bit too controlling. Seems that I'm on the hone with them weekly.

ROLLIN: Yes, I have an adjustable, different one, and forearm. I only want $350 for both. Has a neat adjustable butt-pad (nice pad too) assembly.

Whiz

I need to get ipell up and running here...

5. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Whiz:

What kind of box is that new Vista machine?

6. jmas

jmas TS Member

Did that adjustable stock come off am MX-3 Special????

7. whiz white

jmas: It came of an MX8.

Art: It's a tower black box - ha!

I just put it together in a black case with some funky blue led's, that I'm not impressed with, but it has a 600W PS and 4 fans (I put in 2)...am a firm believer in cooling. I was even going to try out a water cooling setup. One of my old students was on the Pentium 4 development team with Intel in Folsom, CA. He tells me to run it in liquid Nitrogen... ya, sure, that's easy to do - not!

This is the Intel D955 series motherboard 1066/800 MHz FSB. I have 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 RAM on it, a WD 500GB 2MB cache hard drive, some other stuff,... DVD±RW, and my old stand-by HP9300 burner.

Here's a kicker... VISTA will not recognize an HP1500 COJ that my son gave me for my HP2500 for his dorm room. I will recognize an old Seiko Smart Label Pro printer, however. Go figure.

It's quick, and I expect that by Wednesday I will have another motherboard just like it. I will run that system on XP Pro as my main shop system. Both have the Intel 800MHx 3.8GHz/2MB/800/04B Core-Duo processor. Here's a laugh... cpu is made in China.

Hey, if you ever need a big WD hard drive an dhave one of theirs alreaday, you can log into them and get some or several at some pretty good prices. You only void your present warranty to get the new ones cheap. I got 2 of the 500's a month or so ago.

Whiz

8. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Whiz:

Chip made in China-what else is new?
    You have to laugh when the quarterly, “buy American” thread pops up here. I dare say that there is no one single TS’com user that does not have a computer with all or nearly all of its components made in the Orient.

Thanks for the info. I keep my CPU in a cabinet in my desk, a high end piece of furniture for our living room & the Mrs. does not want all "that stuff" showing.

I looked into the liquid cooling system, but, like you, backed off from THAT. I went the same route with extra fans, plus an exhaust fan for the cabinet. Note: There is no way, NO WAY, to keep all of the pet hair out of the cabinet, it is like trying to keep powder residue out of an action/barrel-so, just as in guns, frequent cleaning is a must.

My system is a high end Dell, with 3.2 Duo, an 4 Meg of Ram.

Thanks for the tip on the HDD's, but I don't need that much storage.

I'll give you a tip. Job one, was to clone the HDD using a program called Casper (read about it here on TS some time ago). I made the cloned copy on an external USB drive, and keep that in a safe place. That way, no matter what I do "tinkering" I can go back to day one with all drivers in working order.

Are you using PCL 5 or PCL 6 with your printer? Try switching between the two.

Afterthought: I just did a spell check, and found a typo on the word “like” that would have caused you/David to “bounce me”.

Jeff

9. whiz white

Jeff (Art): I always run dual hard drives and just Ghost C: from time-to-time.

I'll look into Casper, as Ghost takes so much time, I normally do it prior to hitting hay.

You're not getting bounced. I like law enforcement folks.

Whiz

10. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Whiz I had Norton Ghost, and di not particulary like it.

Casper has more to it (it will detect & auto resize an HDD AND partitions-just for starters). It alos runs quicker.

11. whiz white

Jeff (Art): Where did you find Casper?

Whiz

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Whiz does yours look like this. Some of these guys go hog wild. See above.

Jerbear

13. Tax Man

Tax Man TS Member

Whiz,

If you have room in your tower, put in a 2nd or 3rd drive and get Novastor backup and recovery software. Set it to do daily scheduled backups and also weekly full backups. Start with a Mirror copy of your C drive. Also, if you have multiple hard drives already installed, use one for the operating system and program files and the other for data and other info. It makes backup and recovery much easier.

I just built a new PC and it has twin 1 gig hitachi drives and 7 cooling fans. I like the quad core CPUs.

Hope this helps, I do a lot of scanning and design of scanning based document management systems.

Paul

14. whiz white

Thanks, TAxMan: I will definitely look into that.

Actually there is all kinds of room. I just used two removable SATA drive holders, but I can run 4 off the SATA and a couple more off the IDE.

Whiz

15. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Hello Whiz
    I have sent a couple of messages, no reply, is your gear on the blink??

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Geek friend of mine put his pc parts in an aquarium and filled it with vegetable oil for cooling. Had plastic plants, rocks, etc in it. Worked pretty well until the tank sprung a leak and ruined his carpet, and his bank account.

17. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Whiz and Admiral,

You are running 4 and 8 Gigs RAM on your machines. Does that mean you are running 64 bit versions of Vista? I was told that the 32 bit version of Vista only recognized something like 3.2 Gigs of RAM.

I have an HP with the Intel Core 2 Quad Processor. I was hoping to increase the currently installed 3 Gigs of RAM with some more, but if Vista won't recognize it, I can't. Thanks.

18. whiz white

6878mm: No, as far as I know my email is working. I was down with one system then another, but I still had my shipping system receiving mail.

If you just clicked on my email above (whiz at swsupply dot com) that, of course will not work. You had to type it in in standard Internet format.

I had that version right here above this thread.

BUCKGURU: As far as I know, the 8GB of ram is working fine. You system will run all its programs in one's ram until it runs out of ram, then is get into the swap drive mode. This system is absolutely flying in afterburners... it's just the problem of reinstalling everything that is a PITA! I do have two new copies of 64-bit XP Pro, but I'm not running them because there is not much out there taking advantage of it.

Whiz

19. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Whiz,

Thanks for the response. I'm still a little confused. Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Vista?

I did a little research on this, and according to Microsoft and some other sources, a 32 bit system can address a maximum physical memory of 4 GB. That's because 2 to the 32nd power equals about 4 billion. A 64 bit system has many times that amount available.

Some of that 4 GB is taken by the peripherals like the graphics card, system BIOS, etc. so the largest amount of available RAM for a 32 bit system would be 4GB minus whatever your peripherals use, or somewhere around 3.2 to 3.5 GB.

If you look under the accessories/system tools folder of your programs you will find a "system information" program. When you run that, it will tell you the amount of RAM available to the system.

20. whiz white

I'm only running the 32-bit version. I have no clue why I would need the 64-bit because there is not much out there addressing it.

As things change, I will have the ram needed.

Anyone need a couple of the 64-bit versions of XP Pro???

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.