1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whiz White - PW question or anyone who knows

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Platinum 2000 12 ga. 2 3/4. If I buy a set of dies for 20ga, 28 ga etc. is it a simple change out without changing a lot of adjustments. Also will I only be able to load 2 3/4 shells in these gauges??

lou

2. cubancigar2000

3. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I have a Platinum 2000 12 ga press and routinely change it over to 20 and 28 ga. It takes about an half hour to convert and the adjustments are minor. In addition to changing the powder and shot bushings, you usually have to adjust the depth of the wad ram a bit, set the crimp starter height and adjust the final crimper. Once you set it up the first time, the conversion goes a little quicker. Both the 20 and 28 gage loads are for 2 3/4" shells. Overall, the gage conversion is easy and it beats having to deal with 3 loaders on your bench...try it, you'll like it.

Scott

4. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have a PW2000 with all the gauges, changing the gauges takes 20 minutes or so. Once each gauge was initially setup I measured/recorded all the stations to facilitate a quick change. The wad ram and pre crimp are the only stations where the measurements really apply as the other stations have either a set screw or barrel that should not change once initially set up. I am not sure on the size of the shells past 2 3/4. Dave

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Seems to me I read a thread a while back where whiz white was telling Poseness to go away.

6. cubancigar2000

No, I think Whiz and PW made up

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

P/W is under new management. Bruce is a jewel to deal with.

The Platinum 2000 was not designed for a quick gauge change-over. The 800 Plus, on the other hand was.

Reason is that the Platinum 2000 and 900/950 machines all use the center shaft for rotating, whereas the 800 Plus uses the star gear/index pad arrangement.

Consequently, non-Plus machines involve changing the entire top toolhead, its individual dies, pre-crimper, final crimper, and knockout shaft, and drop tubes, etc. to make the change-over.

On the Plus machines all the tooling is already located in and adjusted in the toohead and all stays put; there are very little tweaks necessary.

Whiz

8. cubancigar2000

Thx Whiz for all the help you give here on TS

9. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

30 minutes? 20 minutes? I change my 800+ in less than ten minutes, and I'm loafing when I do it. I could probably do it in about 5 minutes if I were trying to get it done quickly. The tooling is a bit bulky, because of the attached toolhead, but I've got three Rubbermaid containers sitting on my bench near the machine, each one holding an entire toolset. Pick the right one, grab the allen wrenches and have at it - quite literally less than ten minutes while loafing through it, a can of sparkling water within reach but safely away from the immediate area. To tell the truth, it takes longer to get out the hulls and wads for the second gauge.

Convenience is good.

Tony

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Tony: I have always said it could be done in 5 minutes, but got some responses that that was not true. I can do it in fives minutes, but some folks probably aren't very good with tools.

One of my friends, a retired cop, jokes about his son always reminds him NOT TO EVER TOUCH A SCREW DRIVER.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

whiz white