1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whiting,In.Gun Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Anyone care to share a story or photo of the Whiting Trapshooters Club ?

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn1/fishguts49/?action=view&current=001-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thanks,

Wayne

2. redjones

redjones Member

The only one I can think of,shot right on the shores of Lake Michigan it sits right on the water.
    They threw over the water,I think they had three traps and a small clubhouse.
    They also had a boat ramp you could use if you were a member,the boat ramp is still being used.
    I am pretty sure they stopped the shooting because of the lead in the lake but I might be wrong.
    Kind of sad they dont shoot there anymore it would be a pretty cool place to go.
    It sits in one of the most polluted areas in the country,steel mills,oil ref. anything you can think of that dumps millions of tons of pollution in the air and water every year.
    Hope this helps.

Greg

3. mooner

mooner TS Member

As a child I used to go watch my father shoot there in the evenings, it was such a good time. During the summer months we used to take a raft and dive for the unbroken targets. The water was around 8-10 feet deep so it was a challenge to see how many targets you could pick up before surfacing. Unfortunately , the club did close due to the lead.
    Had to recently clean out my parents house, my father had several trophies that he had won over the yrs. I ended up taking a marble ashtray with a trapshooter standing in the middle. I guess I'll always have a piece of the Whiting Gun Club. I'm sure you will know who my father was from my screen name. Thx for the post.

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Yes, I knew him, worked at the same plce too.

Wayne

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I shot there too, the wind would come off the lake and plane the targets like no where else.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Let's all hear for Denny Galliger who took care of the club for a time. How many times did you say 'Is Denny coming?' or 'Where's Denny'. Denny,who kept us all in componants & shells from the gray Ford van. I bought quite a few hundred pounds of power,cases of wads & primers,bags & bags of shot. And I bet a lot of those that shot at Whiting shot at Lansing Sportsman Club,Frankfort & Ike's too. Tom from Munster,now in Hamilton,MT shooting trap & 5 stand there.

7. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Wayne,

I see you found your patch, and it still looks good after ALL these years. I too have fond memories of shooting on the lake. After accompanying a friend and his Dad several times, I bought my first shotgun, an 870 in 1968 I think. I recall many an evening there.

There are several theories why Whiting Trapshooters Club was shut down. I recall that night when the Indiana Department of Natural Resources came out to shut it down. The officer kept his hand on his 9mm most of the time when telling us to leave, or have our guns confiscated.

After that, Denny Gallagher gave me some the records. We tried to get someone to act on the club's behalf to keep it open. It was a hot potato. No politician would touch it.

IDNR told us that there was a law on the books that stated it was "illegal to shoot over water unless in the pursuit of game". And, that we were not grandfathered. Of course, we couldn't get a lawyer to pursue it, and none of our elected officials would look into it.

That was about the time that the gambling boats were coming into the area. Whiting had high hopes of being one of the chosen sites. I believe that just east of the club is where there was the possibility of a boat mooring.

I started going through some of the papers Denny gave me when I read this thread. There is a bound minutes book. The first entry is dated June 6, 1918. That meeting was for the purpose of organizing a trapshooting club. As I read it this morning, part of the first meeting stated in part, "the president shall appoint a committee to purchase traps, necessary equipment for operations, construct trap houses and purchase other incidentals necessary, not to exceed $150."

I found a business card in the book from 1938.

Bill Radwan

8. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Did anyone ever go to Denny's place to pick up components, at the horse stables. I always enjoyed going over there, just down the ways from Griffith Ikes.

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Found more stuff in the material I got from Denny, a program for a shoot in 1969.

Bill Radwan

10. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

the scherwood golf club used to have trap fields back in the day and there was a club between schererville and merrillville on old rt.330 you shot over a small pond at that one. both are long gone now.

11. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

How about Ewing's, on Central Avenue just north of Interstate 80. They used to shoot on Sundays, also long gone.

12. fishguts

fishguts Member

Friday, October 18, 1918

Whiting Trap Shoot Meeting Shooting Announces the regular season of the Whiting Trap Shooters Club and lists the results of the first meet

Bill, it seems money, $150, was allocated in June 1918 and the first "meet" was in October, 1918. World War 1 was still happening. I wonder were they shot at?

Wayne

13. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Upon reading further, the book states that the club members were originally meeting at the OWLS CLUB. In August, 1918, a committee was formed to get prices of a club house. In January 1919 there was discussion of issuing "clubhouse bonds" to pay for the construction.

Interesting that in January 1919 they also sent $5 to South Bend for membership in the Indiana Trapshooting Association, with the first registered shoot to be held on July 20, 1919.

The June 5, 1919 meeting discussed some complaints and comments:
    "There should be something done with the shooters position next to the lake (trap #1). In the kind of a day like Sunday last it is very disagreeable for a man & especially a lady to dig around in the hot sand ankle deep."

This implies that they shot on the lake, even though a clubhouse was not yet built.

For a fee, I can let you read the book. Or I can email you installments.

Bill Radwan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the whiting gun club still exist

the gun club whiting in
trap shoting whiting
whiting gun club
whiting indiana shooting club