1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

White targets in NY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does anyone around the Rochester, Syracuse, or Buffalo area throw white targets during the winter? I was thinking about it a day or two back and thought it would be a fun to try in the winter against a white background.

2. porky

porky TS Member

The only place that I can think of that threw white targets was Camillius. But that was in the summer. Winter, especially now with all the snow they just got, I doubt it. The lime green birds were hard enoght in the snow. Unless you are speaking of nite shooting. Then the light colored birds work very well.

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Rich, Back in the "old days" a lot of clubs threw white dome targets. In my opinion they are easier to see. All white targets also show up very well. Back in the 70s, clubs in Western NY threw orange dome and solid orange and if you ventured to the Syracuse area you got white targets. See you this weekend? Larry Evans

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yes, I will be there this weekend. Conesus around 9am and then Victor in the afternoon.

I confused the Livingston county league and Inland water league cut off times on Sunday and pulled in the parking lot @ Lima at 3pm and then it hit me that I had my times wrong. :(

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"The only place that I can think of that threw white targets was Camillius. But that was in the summer. Winter, especially now with all the snow they just got, I doubt it. The lime green birds were hard enoght in the snow. Unless you are speaking of nite shooting. Then the light colored birds work very well."

The difficulty of picking up a white bird on a white background was main reason I wanted to see if I could find some white birds to shoot. Anyone know if Beikirch's sells birds?

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Beiks is a distributor for White Flyer, and possibly Champion (the Federal line).

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does anyone around the Rochester, Syracuse, or Buffalo area throw white targets during the winter? I was thinking about it a day or two back and thought it would be a fun to try in the winter against a white background.

8. porky

porky TS Member

The only place that I can think of that threw white targets was Camillius. But that was in the summer. Winter, especially now with all the snow they just got, I doubt it. The lime green birds were hard enoght in the snow. Unless you are speaking of nite shooting. Then the light colored birds work very well.

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Rich, Back in the "old days" a lot of clubs threw white dome targets. In my opinion they are easier to see. All white targets also show up very well. Back in the 70s, clubs in Western NY threw orange dome and solid orange and if you ventured to the Syracuse area you got white targets. See you this weekend? Larry Evans

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yes, I will be there this weekend. Conesus around 9am and then Victor in the afternoon.

I confused the Livingston county league and Inland water league cut off times on Sunday and pulled in the parking lot @ Lima at 3pm and then it hit me that I had my times wrong. :(

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"The only place that I can think of that threw white targets was Camillius. But that was in the summer. Winter, especially now with all the snow they just got, I doubt it. The lime green birds were hard enoght in the snow. Unless you are speaking of nite shooting. Then the light colored birds work very well."

The difficulty of picking up a white bird on a white background was main reason I wanted to see if I could find some white birds to shoot. Anyone know if Beikirch's sells birds?

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Beiks is a distributor for White Flyer, and possibly Champion (the Federal line).

13. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Lansing Rod & Gun is throwing white targets fir the next week or 2. Call 607-533-7711(club number) and find out the times.

14. Cray

Cray Member

In the late 50's and early 60's the Hamburg Rod and Gun, Hamburg, N.Y., threw white targets during their Friday night league.
    I wish clubs would start throwing them again at night!
    I've been told they are cheaper than the NY style target!(????) Cray

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"White on white? Rich that wont help your STUCK scores. Jr "

Haha, I'm just looking to play around with some white targets in the snow.

Skeetman,

Thanks for the info. I'll stop in there next week and see if they might have a case or two of targets I can pick up.

16. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Mingo Rod and Gun south of Pittsburgh used to throw white targets year-round. Lots of fun on some of the winter nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.