1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

White Grease Pattern Board????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

My club has a sheet steel pattern board which we have always used cans of spray paint and lots of it. I had heard about using some kind of white grease which can be erased so to speak, with a paint roller. Any ideas out there? Thanks, gyrine

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

yeah that will work

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

4. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

they just put one up at Sparta WSRC it sees a lot of action the warmer the weather the better it works can shoot up to 40yds its the only free thing out their much better than paint or paper i use digital camera if i want to study patterns back at shop

jpark

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Gyrine,

Check you PM.

Matt

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

BigM, Thanks for the hint, don't know how I missed that thread since it is something I have been thinking about for a while. gyrine

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen several metal patterning boards but I never could figure out what to do with them. If you want to shoot a sheet of metal with white grease or even white wash and look at the pattern, they are OK. But, you can't get any useful information from doing this.

Unless you are willing to shoot about 10 patterns with each load, count the holes and do some simple math, I suggest you stay away from a pattern board. Doing it right may, or may not, give you some useful information. Doing it wrong will probably give you some bad information. Having no information about your load is better than having some bad information.

Pat Ireland

8. wizard!

wizard! TS Member

GREASE BOARD SPECS
    BOARD IS 36” X 36” 1/8” THICK WEIGHT 99 LBS

GREASE COATING FORMULA
    5 TUBS WHITE LITHUM GREASE
    APPROX ½ QUART SYNTHETIC OIL
    ½ + QUART OF WHITE PAINT PIGMENT(available at ace hardware paint)

stir all of this up in container smear on board with rubber gloves and roll out with paint roller. The synthetic oil keeps the grease soft in the cold weather.

After shooting grease board and taking your pictures load them into Dr Jones program at www.shotguninsight.com. it counts the pellet holes and spacing for you. It is a world of wealth

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try this: Crisco mixed with white Zink Oxide Heat a pan of Crisco, pour in a few tablespoons of Zink Oxide powder, and let cool. Cheap and works good. But, papper is much better.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i am not joking, we use crisco that has butter in it. it is yellow in color. it's cheap, it does the job. you can roll it on with a roller.
    steve balistreri

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

How do you take the pattern results home to count the holes?
    A digital camera shot?
    Our club put a grease board up a couple of years ago and I have used it. Frankly, it's messy when the wind is blowing. Brush against it and your clothes are wrecked. Oh, and for some reason our club uses black grease.
    That said, it does the job if all you want is a visual snapshot of your pattern. IMO, shooting on paper is better.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

We use a commercial type of white gease that is used in food processing plant equipment. It has a shelf life that must be followed for food processing safety regulations. Botteling plants and food canning and processing plants are always throwing the stuff out because it has passed the required safe shelf life. Easy to get and free.

13. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Put oil based yellow paint into the grease. The shot makes black dots that you can see from where you ae shooting from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grease pattern board

pattern for grease

white grease on patterning board