1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

White Flyer Biodegradable Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Springle, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Springle

Springle TS Member

Looking for clubs that have experience with White Flyer Biodegradable Targets concerning issues with humidity. We are located in the Northwest, but can be damp in the winter and spring months. We have good dry storage, not heated, but how about targets loaded in machines and stored in trap houses.
    We have one sporting clay club that will not buy them because of sticking together issues.
    If you have experience with these targets, we would to hear, so we can have real experience to help make a decission. Also how are they working in skeet machines if anyone can shed light on that too.
    Nyla J.

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

We throw them in Alaska at BRSP and don't seem to have problems with them.

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

We throw them all the time on the foggy coast of Central CA. No problems. But how long do they take to degrade??? I left one broken in my garden and 2 years later it is till there...

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

We use them in Naperville, Illinois and haven't had any trouble with them. 10+ years experience using them.

Our storage area is also dry but not heated (an unattached garage). From late fall thru early spring we keep a small electric ceramic space heater running in each house when we are not shooting. Just enought to keep the moisture down, not really hot.

We have three Pat traps and haven't had any issues with the using these targets in those machines, or any issue with corrosion on the machines like some have reported.

Scott

5. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

They throw bio targets at the Bremerton gun club here in Washington, or at least they did last year when I was shooting there.
    Jim Bradbury

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?ThreadID=271674

Here is this discussion a couple weeks ago. Opinions are overwhelmingly negative.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most guys can't hit any targets with consistency-bio or standard. Just another excuse for failure all us real trapshooters need more of. Better color than pitch targets and really smoke if you hit 'em here in PA. No need for target debris removal that accumulates in front of traphouses. You may have to adjust the arm on some traps so it strikes the rim properly-especially Super-Star traps. They're cheaper too!!

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They may be biodegradable but they aren't friendly to grass and other green stuff.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

They have been quite a bit cheaper and we use them in Garfield and Turnbow flat which is near Pullman.We have had pretty good luck with the ones with just the orange dome and the black rim,the all orange ones gummed up the arm and the machine and required constant cleaning to have consistent targets.As far as storing them they haven't caused any more problems than the regular targets and we store them in an unheated storage shed.Jerry

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Opinions were overwhelmingly negative?!... there were a few negative opinions, kicked off by Skeeter's negative post...

As Scott Calhoun has clearly mentioned, our Club has over 10 years of hands-on experience working with Phil and his White Flyer team. We are experts in using the White Flyer Bio Target. We get all facets of weather and our traphouses get seeping groundwater, but NEVER have we had the problems other clubs encounter...

Yet... we manage to keep our targets dry both in the storage building and in the traphouses. Our machines stay dry and relatively clean with nothing more than a brush... Since we started using the Bio, I can estimate we've thrown well over 2MM targets during the past decade at our 2-1/2 trap (#3 gets nominal usage) facility and we don't get the unsightly piles of target debris we'd get with pitch birds... or incur expense to remove them.

Our target fall zone is adjacent to water and subject to runoff - our pond water and test wells are tested regularly... no adverse issues with sulfuric acid, no pH changes, we don't "lime"...

Now some clubs do have cosmetic issues - especially the Skeet Clubs where target debris can and does fall at shooters' feet at positions 1, 7 and 8... as a trap only club, we do not have that same issue.

As far as breakage, shooting steel ammo at Bio Targets, we shouldn't be able to break any birds - according to the "naysayers"... but we manage to run "straights" and break scores in the mid-high 90s, as do other Clubs. I will add that our incidental breakage is very low - we don't waste many birds...

If you want real feedback, send a PM to us... Scott and I have extensive real-world experience throwing bio targets over a substantial period of time...

Respectfully offered

Jay Spitz

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They turn to dust if you hit them squarely with 7.5's. But, I've seen them hit and completely change direction with no break. I think they are much harder or dense than regular targets. We quit using them because of this issue.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

We tried them a few years ago. Turned the club white and barren as they killed the grass. They also took the soil Ph in the wrong direction for our lead abatement program. They are sulfur based and with a little moisture you get sulfuric acid which corrodes the machines. Good idea but poorly excited. They may say 'Biodegradable" but in my opinion they do more environmental damage than pitch targets. Avoid if you can.

Tom

13. oleolliedawg

Grass doesn't grow very well on mounds of pitch targets either. Of course, you can always bring in a front end loader, dump truck and scrape down to bare soil, plant grass, then re-cover with pitch targets. Something here doesn't make much sense!!

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ft. Bragg GC used them early on and it destroyed the vegetation. Buncombe County GC currently uses them and they seem to be working well for them..

FRedmon

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Spitter- On the original post, excluding my posts, I count 6 for, 15 against, and 4 that were either neutral or didn't directly address the issue. So yes, I would call that overwhelmingly against.

On this thread this far its 6 for, 4 against, and 2 other.

16. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I shot them once at the Cedar Hill Club in Kansas. Didn't understand what happened to the 'puff of black' until a squad member said they were bio's! Don't know if they were harder or easier to break or no difference, personally I didn't like them!

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

The attached photo shows the club when we were using Bio. Please note the white dead area.

T
    tbaber_2008_03033.jpg

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Personally I am wondering how everyone will react when the state you live in makes them mandatory.

It is coming in the near future so I suggest everyone try to get their minds wrapped around it.

Bob Lawless

19. oleolliedawg

Maybe it's best to poll shooters who regularly break 97 or 98+ averages and ask them if they actually showed a reduction in their scoring. I'd say if you polled 20 shooters you might find around 2 who ever broke 100.

That said, it reminds me of a lady shooter who complained bitterly about green targets at our club and only broke 11/25. The following week we threw orange and she only broke 7/25. Our statistics show twice as many straights (25's) broken with green than orange under similar conditions. Yet, we fielded tons of complaints when throwing green.

Our club in PA was one of the first to make the conversion from white dome to all-orange targets in the 70's. The old timers complained plenty about their inability to see all-orange targets.

I guess what I'm sayin' is most trapshooters like to complain-except the real good ones!!

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

Bob Lawless....

Lest hope that the Target manufactures actually manufacture a Bio Target. What is being offered now is worse that the pitch target. It really does environmental damage.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
biodegradable clay targets acidic runoff

biodegradable skeet

biodegradable trap targets

do biodegradable bbs kill grass

white flyer bio targets reviews

white flyer biodegradable clay targets

white flyer biodegradable problems

white flyer biodegradable targets