1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

White clay targets use

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

When I shot off in an event in the 2004 Grand they used white clay targets. It was great. Even in the rain.

This year at the Grand they used the orange ones from the day. WHY? At Dusk they were impossible to see. It was pure luck to hit one. As well as to score a chip off of one. (I did not shoot off for anything this year)

Just think white would be a improvment. Any one else???????????
    mike t.

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I agree , white is better to see at night under the lights but the transition period at twilight they look light green or light blue to me . We also use a differnt color bird on the turrent for money birds -- usually the green ones but we also have 2 cases of white that we alternate on different days whenever we have that on the program . NTSD we throw one different colored bird every full squad for a free round if it`s hit .

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

We tried white, green and all orange in alternating stacks under our lights. The overwhelming favorite was the all orange. They also show up way better in a snow storm at night. Bill Malcolm

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- I can't imagine why anyone would care what target shows up best in a snow storm at night. Getting hit by a snow flake can be dangerous. Any temperature below 50 degrees is not fit for humans or dogs. I have a completely closed mind on that subject.

Pat Ireland

5. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

mike T

I was in a shootoff in the Clay Target Championship. Shot at approx. 10:30 pm. We shot at solid orange targets that stood out great under the lights.

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Some of us have to live in the land of snow and ice, Pat. You know, the ones you see wearing t-shirts and shorts in January and February in Florida. The right clothes, friends and heating fluids (afterwords) makes it just fine.

I hope to shoot with you in the sunny south some day. Bill Malcolm

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We used to shoot "white at night", but trying to balance an order of pallets was always a challenge, so we went to "all orange" and have not looked back. Under lights, all orange glows!

Sorry to slam a few folks, but real men and women shoot in all weather and it doesn't begin to get really interesting unless the thermometer gets negative or the snow blows sideways. We throw a few logs in the fireplace, fire up the coffee or hot chocolate... Oh and put on a light windshirt!

Regards all,

Jay

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have to agree with Jay (Spitter), we shoot and don't care how bad the weather gets unless of course its get to hot as in the summer time ... Today its only 114 in the shade, but its a dry heat ... Dry heat like a hair dryer type heat and when the breeze hits you its like stand in front of a blast furnace ... But the winters are to die for, ask all of them "Snowbirds" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.