1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

White Bead or Fiber Optic Front Sight?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by paul7177, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Would like to hear comments from those who have tried or use fiber optic front sights. Thanks.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I use the biggest, fattest fiberoptic sight I could find. Despite what some people think, If you can't see your barrel in your field of vision there is no way you can hit the target.

However, there are people can't use them because the brighter sight draws their eyes away from the target and back to the barrel - or what they call "bead checking." Some do better with no bead at all.
    I find just the opposite, that I never look back at the barrel because the bead is so easily visible.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

In my experience, fiber optics tend to bring your eye back to your beads. Beads are used to line up your barrel and nothing more. If you're looking at your beads you're not looking at the target. JMHO!

Steve

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Your front bead should be a reference point only and if anything at all should be used as a quick check before calling for the target and looking at the target.

Most think a fiber optic sight or some new barrel weight or some other new gadget will improve there score but ... well ... please do not take this the wrong way but you honestly do not need a fiber optic site but if you do I'm working on a new gadget that I will guarantee will increase your score better than a 3 year old shooting a 10ga for trap. ;-)

5. mayfield

mayfield Member

I began using a fiber optic front sight basis suggestion I recieved during an instructional session with Frank Hoppe. I was using tape on one glasses lens to prevent crossfiring. I am right handed with a right dominate eye but on targets going to my left, my left eye would take over. I removed the tape, installed the fiber sight and it did improve my problem. I do not conciously see the sight when shooting but on some level it must be computing.

6. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Uni-Dot on the Kolar Combo.

38-01615

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mayfield ... it improved your problem? I know what you mean but it just sounds funny.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

I have identical guns, one with each type of sight (yeah, I know..). At the end of the day I would have to look at the gun to see which sight I was shooting over. Makes no difference to me.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Fiber Optic Front Sights did not work for me. I found myself looking at the sight rather than the bird. Went back to a white bead and haven't looked at the bead any longer. Might work for hunters a little better in low light conditions.

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You forgot the third choice and that's to black out both beads with erasable magic marker.

It works for me and a number of other people I know. That way your eye has minimal tendency to come back to the bead and you can still check your gun mount before calling for the target.

I tried the fiber optic tubes, dots, etc and it was just horrible but then I tend to be a bead checker on my best days.

I think you need to try out all available methods and see which one works best for you.

jerry Weger

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fiber optic front sight works well for me when shooting skeet. It does not work when shooting trap. HMB

12. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

Fiber optic plus the Meadow Industries Sight-Blinder. I shoot with both eyes open. My left eye only sees the target. My right eye sees the target and the fiber dot.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use the HiViz Comp sights on both my Browning BT & O/U. Since a majority of my shooting is under lights at night, my preference is for the green fluorescent pipes when using a pale/medium yellow lense.

Like many, I use the beads to line up and then shift my focus, but I have found that the lite pipes aid in that during lower light conditions.

For $20 bucks or less for a system, try it.

Jay Spitz

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I like the Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III; this sight has a fiber optic rod and a channel that blocks the off eye from seeing the rod. This has helped me prevent cross firing because of a weak dominate eye. I see 2 barrels while focused on the target, with the VGS III only the correct barrel has the glowing sight. Also, with the bead glowing in front of you there is no need to look for or at the bead, I just focus on target.

Jason

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm opposite eye dominant, so I use a Uni-Dot. My right eye sees the fiberoptic dot, but my left eye is blocked from it. I bring the dot to the target using peripheral vision. And that's the trick - if you look directly at the dot, you'll miss. Keep your eyes on the target.

16. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

Like waverider I have found the vari-brite site III to be the best sight of it's kind. I don't have a dominante eye and it really helped me alot. I used to lose the end of the gun barrel in poor lighting conditions and backgrounds and I would bead check trying to find the end of the gun barrel again. With the vari-brite it is always in my periferal vision so it has actually helped me stop bead checking. I think you have to give these sights a good length of time to get used to them. I mean at least several thousand rounds not just a couple hundred. If you give them time you will be suprised how effective they really are.

Ken Brandt

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My gun came with a changeable front fiber optic system. I use the smallest white light pipe that's made (.090") sanded a bit smaller and paint the face end with a bit if flat gray model paint.

Morgan

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Being left handed, left eye dominant, but shooting right hand, with both eyes open, the HiViz helps me shoot better.

It takes discipline to look at the target and not the beads, regardless of color.

If you are bead checking, trust me. IT IS STILL ON THE GUN! LOL STOP IT ALREADY.

BTW, I generally do not see the HiViz bead on a conscious level once I attain my focal point and Quiet Eye.

19. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have the green hiviz on my gun because I liked the color, reminds me of salmon fishing. The truth of the matter is I never see it. I think I could shoot with a piece of pipe with some wood attached. I just point it and shoot. Maybe later when I get some more experience I'll change it out .

Martin

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bead colors, sizing, etc., are like the Sight-Blinders....just a gimmick. If you're looking at the bead, then you're not hitting the target with any consistancy.

Get away from gimmicks and just shoot the target!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.