1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whistle pigs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tanda1, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Par boil the Chuck at least three
    times with onions. Better than rabbit stew. Grandfather hunted them with dogs,shovel, and a wire hook out of Shadyside Ohio. Ate the stew many times as a kid. Ted Cichecki

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Ted I agree with you. I grew up in the 30's and money was not plentiful. We hunted for our meat and found there was a lot of things that was good to eat that people of today wouldn't eat. Who today would eat muskrat but would eat squirrel. If you pan fry them you can't tell the difference. Groundhog and muskrats are both vegetarians. In the month of july young groundhogs weigh about 2 to 3 pounds and you can pan fry them. To me that is the best time to fix them. I miss those days when the State and Federal Government didn't control your every move. Well that is another story.

Dave

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I thought that is what ground chuck was in the grocery store. LOL

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

stl you can never be sure what is in ground chuck today. :)

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Hey Dad, how the heck did you do that? You posted using my screen name. LOL

Maybe I'm really in South Florida and didn't know it. Sure looks like the standard Illinois winter gray out my window.

6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Pots of fresh water,and onions are the key(boiling 3x is right on the money). Take the pieces(when tender),and roll them in flour/salt/pepper. Fry until crispy........enjoy. I lived on them for a couple summers when I was a kid.
    Darn good eating if ya do it right.

D.P.Reynolds

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Ted, I remember hunting groundhogs with dogs, a barrel of water, a hog snare and baseball bats near Brookville, Indiana on my Grandpa's farm. Poured the water down the hole until full, waited for chuck to come up for air, snared them around the neck, then let the dogs at them or us grandkids clubbed them to death. Not very sportsman like, but Grandpa had zero tolerance for a dug up alfalfa field and he didn't have the time or the patience to wait for them to come out to shoot them.

You know clubbing the groundhogs was somewhat barbaric, but you know they taste just just like baby seal. Okay, that last sentence was to get the granola munchers upset and I haven't actually eaten baby seal. But now spotted owl, that tastes just like chicken. . . . :)

John

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same treatment guys give to Sage Hen around here - that stuff isn't edible IMO either!

I'll stick with quail and chukar when it comes to eating small game thank you very much. And yes I am greatful to have the choice.

Man some of you guys are pretty rugged!

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Best recipe for groundhog was browned, then baked in a dutch oven like a roast with all the trimmings in the pot.

My aunt could make this dish to where the meat fell off the bone, and all us cousins fought over it(Almost).

Danny

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What do you mean boiled 3 times? vs boiled a long time?

Cook it once but change water 3 times?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.