1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whiskey....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the elixir of life, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I'll drink to that!!

Maker's Mark please.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly (Especially the paragraph that begins with "However,")

...make mine Mist over ice!

milt (A Texan who loves Canadians)

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

A bit of Ginger Ale in a tall glass with my Makers Mark please.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just like a State bird , flower or tree , each state should have their own State Whiskey .

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I totally agree with him, some people can handle it and some can't

I tried an experiment a while ago and have started saving a good sum of money, my friends and I always drank Crown Royal, but one time I was at the liquor store and they had some whiskey called James Foxe on sale very cheap, so I bought a couple bottles, I had an empty Crown bottle, and I filled it up with the cheaper stuff, when we all got together, we mixed drinks out of the Crown bottle and all had a few, I asked my friends how they liked the drinks they all said you can't beat Crown

I just let it go for a while then told them all, now they all drink the James Foxe, it runs about $11 for the big bottle compared to about $50+ for Crown, and has the same effect

7. setool

setool Member

Nothing beats a good, stiff, shot (or two) of "Crown Royal", my good fellows !

Mark S.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was in the Air Force, I spent alot of time in Thailand, we would fly out of there to bomb N Vietnam, but you could get an Imperial quart 40 oz of Crown Royal for $2.10, we were only supposed to get 4 qt's per month but if you tipped the Thai national that ran the Class 6 store you could get all you wanted

I tried to drain one everyday, but always left about an inch in the bottom, at one time I had 40 bottles with an inch left on the wall of bungalow

9. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Crown Royal for me, and good mindset.

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

If you want to try a really good Canadian whisky, try Forty Creek.

11. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Best whiskey I've found is "Buffalo trace". I like it way better than crown and it's a little cheaper.
    Jimmy

12. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Try Cocks Spur Reserve Rum from Barbados. Real smooth, really smooth!

Harry Lyga

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Knob Creek, it is 100 proof and smooth

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jefferson's small batch. I just tried it. Great straight or with a little Ginger Ale.

15. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I am and have been a "Tennessee Squire" for more than three decades! And damn proud of it!!

Gentleman Jack, please.

Philip M Santos

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Catpower, you remind me of a similar experiment of mine.

Years back, when I was bartending, nearly every vodka drink customer demanded Absolut Vodka in their mixed drinks. They all claimed that they could taste the difference. One particularly mischievious day, I took an empty Absolut bottle and filled it up with some really bargain shelf vodka. That night all my vodka drinks were poured out of this bottle.

You guessed it--not a single self-proclaimed vodka conneuseur noticed the difference.

17. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

The English taught the Irish to make whiskey because they didn't want the Irish to rule the Earth. Tullamore Dew forever.

18. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Woodford Reserve. Extremely smoooooth bourbon.

19. MOP

MOP Active Member

If this speech was made by Armon M. Sweat, a member of the Texas House of Representatives,it was stolen from the late Noah "Soggy" Sweat, originally from Corinth, Mississippi, and a member of the Mississippi House of Representatives at the time it was made, who later was a Mississippi Circuit Court Judge and Professor of Law at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). He was a friend of mine, and this is his famous "whiskey speech."

20. Loyac

Loyac Member

I was a Scotch drinker before I tasted Irish Whiskey. Jameson forever...!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.