1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whining about the Handicap system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The Handicap system isn't perfect but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm tired of people complaining about it.I too am guilty of whining but for the most part people are looking for instant gratification,if you want to win practice more that's what people in other sports do to win.And there is always those who excell without much effort and there is nothing anyone is going to do keep them from winning,if you don't want to lose your money don't play any options it's just a fact of life.Last but not least don't let new shooters and people who do it for fun hear you bitchin because we are running them off in droves.Jerry

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's only the pilgrims which cannot be competitive that want the rules changed!

They'll end up moving on to skeet and sporting clays for the easy targets and built in excuses.

Never will they embrace the fact that they are just crappy shooters.

Curt

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

jdsfarms

In just three sentences you hit the nail right on the head. Just stop
    complaining and develop your own skills.

4. jdsfarms

I will add another element,I personally have taken yardage reductions I know the prestige is at the back fence but if you refuse them you should never complain about the system.Jerry

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I thread I feel totally at home on....cool.

Yep...if I'm not breaking all my birds, it doesn't much matter what yardage I'm at or what score Leo is busting...I've got problems of my own.

In Alaska, we've grown our state shoot 25% from 2007 to 2009. None of our new shooters complain about the local "big dogs" - ok, little puppies compared to everyone else, LOL - they just know they need to knuckle down and bust some targets and they can win too.

6. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mental discipline is needed to break to break high Singles scores consistently-absolutely. Less than perfect scores are fine with Sporting shooters and not everyone is equiped with the psyche to practice endlessly for perfection. Nor does everyone have the financial ability to purchase a high grade gun and spend an exhorbitant sum for ihe practice needed to achieve that level.

Sporting Clays has experienced some growth while Trapshooting tanks. Maybe that's our problem!!

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

But, our current handicap system will not allow me to shoot a mediocre score and win the event. The system only allows me to win when I shoot a good score.

Pat Ireland

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There's nothing needs be changed with the Handicap event. If more shooters could accumulate thousands of yards without penalty it would even be better!!

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

grnberetcj

Gee Curt very interesting word you are using. No one should be whining about the handicap system.

In my opinion no one should be whining about where the Grand is held or how down the attendance at that shoot is. Of course that doesn't stop you from starting threads that encourage the whiners now does it????

Bob Lawless

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that if you don't whine...you are not a real trap shooter?

12. jdsfarms

Ahab Good observation there is truth in that.Jerry

13. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The way our sport is growing by leaps and bounds, your right! Nothing is wrong. Nothing needs changing. Our shoots are brimming with new shooters who return year after year to swell our ranks. It shouldn't be long until we will have to start limiting the attendance at the Grand by some sort of qualifying system. We will never miss the many shooters who leave our ranks to attend those weanie sporting clays events because they can't compete. GIVE ME A BREAK! Jimmy Borum

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey Lawless...

I posed a question and showed statistics in reference to the Grand's failing attendence...

So far all you've done is "cut and paste"

Your point is? An original thought from you would be nice.

Curt

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

"original", you gotta be kidding!!!

16. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Read what Jimmy said and think about it

17. ivanhoe

grnberetcj what is the problem, you provided what you call statistics in reference to the Grands failing attendance.

Now Curt lets be truthful you provided those statistics in reference to failing attendance at the Grand in SPARTA ILL. there is a difference. I can read to Curt and I also saw failing attendance numbers before the move to Sparta in your Stats. Of course you seem to feel that you are the only one that can read those stats.

BTW Curt you said all I have done is "cut and paste" Ya Copy and Paste is an honest representation of what you and other have said. Because it is just that a copy of what you have written. You and others hate it because it doesn't allow you to hide behind the deceptions you like to play with.

I thought my point was clear you use one thread to rip down what the ATA has tried to promote and then another thread to defend the handicap system. The one that because of a log jam at the 27 yard line. Allows the 27 yd shooters to collect over 50% of all the yardage payout at all the major shoots every season.

Is that original enough for you Curt??? Don't you hold some type of elected position with your state association??? Fine example of ATA support. Sorry if I struck a cord there Curt but after all you are the one that wrote these things.

You have a nice day now.

Bob Lawless

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bob, quit Whining about the Whining thread.

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

From what I can see, the hubbub about the handicap system only affects REGISTERED shooting. "The system" doesn't seem to affect league, game, and club game shooters - they could care less what distance they shoot from, around my area at least.

The main people I see bitching about the handicap system are little dogs and BIG DOGS who feel they're not winning enough money at registered shoots. Little dogs feel the system is rigged against them...BIG DOGS want _something_ changed because they can't win the big paychecks anymore, and would like to see more people at shoots so they can reverse that.

Truth is, people just aren't as interested in expensive, all-day shooting events anymore.

If you hear complaint about the handicap system, you're either hearing a little dog who can't win, or a BIG DOG who can't win _enough_. If the people in the first group would wise up, and stop being fixated on their fascination with handing their money over to the second group - there would only be one group left complaining.

Incidentally, I know a lot of people who shoot sporting clays...but not more than a couple who shoot sporting clays TOURNAMENTS. Seems that sport has the same problem we do.

20. ivanhoe

Setterman I am whining let me see I think you have a short memory way to short.

"Well this "5 year old brat" won't stay in a dump, or drive an hour and a half every day just to go to the Grand. They should have built the place around a population source with some rooms. Poor planning."

"90% of the trap shooters from Ohio, Michigan, and similiar states don't go to the Grand because it's less convenient, and now more costly."

Well from the looks of those statements that you wrote. No one has anything on you in the whining department. You don't even have any first hand knowledge of these gems but it didn't stop you from putting in your WHA WHA WHA's.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.