1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

While weighing powder drops today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I ran out of 700X so today I made the switch to promo. While checking drops I found my bushing drops a bit more promo than it did 700X. this was expected and since I have a digital scale I thought I would check my 1 ounce drops of good reclaim shot which should be 437.5 grains. I consistent dropped 406 + - grains. I put in #81/2 shot and picked up a few grains to about 411. Just curious if anyone else has checked this. my 1 ounce loads have morphed into 15/16 ounce loads.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Perfectly normal.

Shot bushings are shot size size specific and they usually refer to the weight of chilled shot they drop. Usually high grade magnum shot with a high antimony content will drop lower weight than indicated by the bushing rating due to its slightly lower density as compared to chilled shot. Reclaim shot is not very spherical and that lowers its bulk density as compared to new shot and the incusion of non-lead material lowers the density even further.

If you really want to get a full OZ in your shells you can hog your bushing out a bit and get it to drop the desired weight. If you do modify a bushing, mark it well so that you know exactly how much of what kind of shot it drops.

3. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Your bushings drop by volume...... anytime you change the density of whatever you are dropping, you will drop the same volume each time but the weight will be different...for shot this really changes as composition of the shot changes...this is especially true if your bushing was made for chilled shot and you drop magnum shot, the magnum will be lighter per unit volume.....If you drop shot that is irregular shaped you will have less pellets in the known volume and thus lighter weight. As for powder, it is not unusual to see slight weight variations between lots of the same powder, much less when you change powder types...
    So short answer, yes others see the same thing.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I just wish I hadn't weighed the shot tho. I will now miss targets with that 15/16 ounce that isn't there :)

5. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

My "1 oz" bar drops 0.93 oz of #8 magnum shot. I mark my boxes of reloads with the actual weight of shot. When I use my "7/8 oz" bar to drop #8-1/2 magnum shot, it drops almost the correct weight. Now, I wonder what the bars would drop with #9.... Happy Friday, Ed

6. Lucky1

Lucky1 TS Member

Do a pellet count. Might surprise you due to the mix of of chilled & magnum shot in the reclaimed pellets. Also will have a mix of shot sizes to sizes confuse the issue.

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Rather than hogging out a good bushing, get some decent tape and line the inside of the next size up bushing to get the weight you want. My personal method is to use an ounce and a 16th shot bushing with a corresponding 1 1/8th powder measurement. Might get an ounce load or ounce and 1/8th but generally well within specs. OR, you could do what one shooter I know does and weigh each shot charge:)

Robert

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Tripod you might want to read another thread (link above) that was discussed here some time back. It is interesting reading.

Bob Lawless

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have been using a universal charge bar for years. It saves cost of many bars & bushings. Only way to go. My 1957 Loader had adjustable shot & powder. Mec would like you to buy 40 diff bushings & bars.

Clyde

10. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been carefully checking powder weights in my reloading for over 30 years, but for some strange reason just checked shot weights earlier this year. I found out that I'd been shooting 1 1/16 loads instead of 1 1/8th and 15/16 instead of 1 ounce for all these 30 years. Guess what I'm going to do? Nothing. The loads have worked just fine and saved me a little money on shot.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Tripod.... weight the shot again and then add one lead shot at a time till you get the one ounce. It will only be a few bb's.

12. TC

TC TS Member

Due to the lack of consistent size and shape, reclaim will have more voids ie, will not pack or settle into the bushing as well as new shot. This will result in a lighter weight per volume measurement. I usually get an ounce using a 1 1/8 bushing, sometimes it will run 1 1/16. YMMV!

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am gonna try that Bill. That would put me at ease!