1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which way to go- o/u

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoot619, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I've been thinking I need a o/u just to have one

even though I don't shoot registered trap. Just practice rounds.

I can shoot in the 20's but not every time.

Which way to go , have a chance to get a Rem Peerless with chokes

I won't be shooting the hell out of it. Are they good enough?

Already have a

Rem Competition and a Rem TB A Win 12 field and a Rem Model 10 which all shoot

nice. The Rem Mod 10 sure shoots nice,I just found a article on how to load it

correctly for trap . My shell was jamming at times. My thinking is go for it

just to see if I like one. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud. any comments?

ALSO if my spelling is not correct or syntax or what the hell ever is not

up to your standards-- I don't give a DAMN !! Ken U

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Based on the experience of a friend of mine, I would not buy a Peerless. Bill Malcolm

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Ken,

If you want a true trap gun, it will be a gun with a comb that is parallel with the barrel axis. That means that you would not be able to slide your cheek forward or backward to position your eye at the level that you prefer, (which would be slightly above the level of the rib). That makes a gun shoot slightly higher than its point of aim to avoid having to cover trap's rising targets with the muzzle to provide the forward lead that is necessary to break them. It would be something to check before buying any particular over/under. Snug cheek pressure on the comb should allow your eye to look slightly down-onto the surface of the rib.

Your scores MAY be at the current level because of your inexperience; or, because the gun mount, stance, body/head/neckposture (shooting form) that you use. The dimensions of a gun's stock significantly affect the shooting form shooters are able to use.

For those reasons, it would be a good idea to learn the shooting form that coaches recommend, then see if an o/u that interests you allows you to use a good form.

If you are not close to 5' 9" and 160 pounds, the guns you are shooting probably fit you poorly.

Rollin

4. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

buy a used browning they work and you can allways get most of your money back see if you can test drive any o/u you can stay away from the peerless and the russian cheepos, o/u's can cost you a bunch just trying to find the right one have fun ted

5. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Ken, You have a pm.
    Chris

6. Nutso

Nutso Member

Follow Rollins advice.

There are lots of great guns out there for sale, and there is a seemingly endless supply of good deals, work on the fundamental, there are lots of different guns, then fine tune it with a gun that is proper for you, and make sure it fits you.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Browning Citori

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find a used trap O/U, one that you can shoot before you decide to buy it. A Remington 3200 could be a good choice. HMB

9. hoot619

hoot619 Member

TrapshooterAA27AA PM sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.