1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Ok fellas, I haven't been able to get into much shooting lately, between work, a toddler, and a 4 month old, I've been busy.

But anyway, I've been deer hunting a few places, and have been asked by the landowners to shoot any coyotes I see.

My problem is, a few of the places I hunt now can have some longer shots (300-650 yrds) and I don't trust my old Remington 7400 .308 to be accurate enough out that far, so I'm looking for a new gun.

I'm pondering if I should buy a cheaper rifle (Marlin X7 in .308 or 25-06) and build it up (Boyd's stock, decent scope, bi-pod, etc) or save a bit of money up and buy something like a Remington 700, or Winchester Mod 70.

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys

Smokey

2. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Unless you practice & prove you can make long shots like that on paper your not going to be very successful. Plus if you can't make the shot on a stationary target you have no bussiness shooting at a animal that far. I know you've seen it on tv. but your going to wound alot of game or at least educate them & make them even harder to get close to. It takes alot of practice to be able to make shots that far with confidence. You'll need a really accurate rifle a good quality scope a laser range finder & the ability to judge the wind. Then you have to have the skill to put it all together. The best & most accurate equipment in the world is worthless if you aren't capable of makeing the shot. It can be done but you have to put in the time and practice. Goodluck

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

25-06 would be a good choice. Big enough for deer and flat shooting as well. Don't really know about the ranges you are planning to shoot though.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll second the .25-06 and suggest either a Savage bolt gun or Remington 700. I have several 700s in that caliber and they are all very accurate as long as you keep the bullet weight under 100 grains. The standard rifling twist just doesn't stabilize 100-grain and heavier bullets well enough for consistent sub-MOA groups.

Of course, you could always go with the ultimate long-range rig, a .257 WBY. I have one in a 700 that shoots well with 115-grain Berger VLDs over H1000 powder.

Ed

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I would use what you've got, mount a good scope, and zero it for 250 yards. Use the same high ballistic coefficient bullet for both deer and coyotes such as a boat-tail bullet. Be aware of how much your bullet drops at a given distance. If you have a place to practice long shots, it'll give you experience.

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I'll jump onto the 25-06 wagon. I have shot many a good sized deer and wild hog at 200+ yards with excellent results. I use Federal 115gr ballistic tip ammo and it just flat out knocks them down.

Very accurate caliber, good ballistics, and minimal recoil. By far my favorite rifle (Rem 700CDL) and caliber.

JMHO

Jim C

7. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

.270 Win

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I'll vote for the 25-06 I've shot groundhogs at 450 yards and deer at 400 yards with a bipod and it has always shot well for me.

9. oz

oz Active Member

I don't have one but I'd get a .243 savage and a good 30mm or 35 mm scope.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Look... Just get closer and shoot them with what you have. I have seen 7400's in 308 that shot 1 inch groups. Those guns are a bitch to clean and as such many guys have never removed the copper fouling from them and accuracy degrades. If you have put 200 rounds through it and have never removed the copper that might be a great place to start. Jeff

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Regardless of caliber/bullet and scope, it takes LOTS of long range practice to make humane shots at long range. Merely sighting in a rifle/scope combo to hit the paper is just a beginning.

Even a .308 can be very accurate at longe range if set up properly on the right action. All the calibers mentioned above can be be good long range medicine if set properly. Long range shooting and thoughts should be left to those committed to setting up such rifles and equipment and not the average couple times a year hunter! A decent deer rifle sighted in properly will take coyotes a long ways out if the shooter can muster up the hold.

My Rem. 600 6MM fitted with a 24-1/2 inch Douglas premium air gauged barrel that fits my normal distance deer rifle requirements. I have also touched a few coyotes quite a long ways out with it too, DOAs.

Hap

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

25-06 87 grain bullet, Sako rifle and a good scope with range marks. Mine will kill in the excess of 500 yards. Not cheap but will do the job.

Dave

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.25-06 would be a good choice, and in a rifle/ammo combination that's capable of at least 1 moa accuracy. Even with something that shoots that flat knowing the range is critical out past about 300 yards so a good laser range finder would also be in order.

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Your .308 is adequate for any shot you are comfortable taking, but you MUST practice a lot to be confident in your shot choice. If you shoot off a bench at 100 yards to sight in before hunting season, and your usual shot is 50-150 yards, that is what you should limit your shooting to. If you practice at 300-650 yards, and can confidently hit an area the size of your hand at those ranges, take the shot.

As jeff said above, clean the barrel thoroughly, get rid of the copper and carbon, and see how you do off a bench at longer ranges. A new rifle won't magically make you a better shot, so before you spend the money, spend a little time and effort, and money, of course, on seeing how your rifle can shoot over longer ranges.

15. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

A 7mm-08 in a nice Black AR. Especially if you live in a highly populated coyote/wolf country!!!! 30 round clip a plus, if your a good caller!!

I live in such a area, its called the Pacific Northwest!

17. Trap4

Trap4 Member

25-06 would be the best cartridge for you---

Trap-4

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

6.5 mm bullets are the best for longer range shooting, with good ballistic coefficents.

In a factory rifle I would go Savage in either 260 or 6.5 Creedmore.

We just chewed this same cabbage a month or so ago.

HM

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would consider the 25-06 but for my personal choice it would be a 7mm-08. That's me and probably a caliber that won't be mentioned very often.

My question to you is, how many 350 yard consecutive hits have you made into say a coffee cup saucer? Now I would say most good rifle shots become marginal shooters beyond this range. When you get into 500 yd plus shooting there is considerable info that needs instantly processed to make a hit. Not trying to discourage you just making you aware that it takes a lot of practice, caliber of choice ballistic data, degree of angle to shot, sun position, wind, reading mirages, etc.

Have fun but its a different world out there.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

4x Leupold? You can't use that! It won't work. Jeff

Search tags for this page

243 is it best one rifle for coyotes to whitetail deer

will deer go near cayotes