Trapshooters Forum banner

which way to go for all around coyote/deer rifle

18K views 117 replies 87 participants last post by  CalvinMD 
#1 ·
Ok fellas, I haven't been able to get into much shooting lately, between work, a toddler, and a 4 month old, I've been busy.

But anyway, I've been deer hunting a few places, and have been asked by the landowners to shoot any coyotes I see.

My problem is, a few of the places I hunt now can have some longer shots (300-650 yrds) and I don't trust my old Remington 7400 .308 to be accurate enough out that far, so I'm looking for a new gun.

I'm pondering if I should buy a cheaper rifle (Marlin X7 in .308 or 25-06) and build it up (Boyd's stock, decent scope, bi-pod, etc) or save a bit of money up and buy something like a Remington 700, or Winchester Mod 70.

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys

Smokey

#2 ·
Unless you practice & prove you can make long shots like that on paper your not going to be very successful. Plus if you can't make the shot on a stationary target you have no bussiness shooting at a animal that far. I know you've seen it on tv. but your going to wound alot of game or at least educate them & make them even harder to get close to. It takes alot of practice to be able to make shots that far with confidence. You'll need a really accurate rifle a good quality scope a laser range finder & the ability to judge the wind. Then you have to have the skill to put it all together. The best & most accurate equipment in the world is worthless if you aren't capable of makeing the shot. It can be done but you have to put in the time and practice. Goodluck

#4 ·
I'll second the .25-06 and suggest either a Savage bolt gun or Remington 700. I have several 700s in that caliber and they are all very accurate as long as you keep the bullet weight under 100 grains. The standard rifling twist just doesn't stabilize 100-grain and heavier bullets well enough for consistent sub-MOA groups.

Of course, you could always go with the ultimate long-range rig, a .257 WBY. I have one in a 700 that shoots well with 115-grain Berger VLDs over H1000 powder.

Ed

#5 ·
I would use what you've got, mount a good scope, and zero it for 250 yards. Use the same high ballistic coefficient bullet for both deer and coyotes such as a boat-tail bullet. Be aware of how much your bullet drops at a given distance. If you have a place to practice long shots, it'll give you experience.

#6 ·
I'll jump onto the 25-06 wagon. I have shot many a good sized deer and wild hog at 200+ yards with excellent results. I use Federal 115gr ballistic tip ammo and it just flat out knocks them down.

Very accurate caliber, good ballistics, and minimal recoil. By far my favorite rifle (Rem 700CDL) and caliber.

JMHO

Jim C

#10 ·
Look... Just get closer and shoot them with what you have. I have seen 7400's in 308 that shot 1 inch groups. Those guns are a bitch to clean and as such many guys have never removed the copper fouling from them and accuracy degrades. If you have put 200 rounds through it and have never removed the copper that might be a great place to start. Jeff

#11 ·
Regardless of caliber/bullet and scope, it takes LOTS of long range practice to make humane shots at long range. Merely sighting in a rifle/scope combo to hit the paper is just a beginning.

Even a .308 can be very accurate at longe range if set up properly on the right action. All the calibers mentioned above can be be good long range medicine if set properly. Long range shooting and thoughts should be left to those committed to setting up such rifles and equipment and not the average couple times a year hunter! A decent deer rifle sighted in properly will take coyotes a long ways out if the shooter can muster up the hold.

My Rem. 600 6MM fitted with a 24-1/2 inch Douglas premium air gauged barrel that fits my normal distance deer rifle requirements. I have also touched a few coyotes quite a long ways out with it too, DOAs.

Hap

#14 ·
Your .308 is adequate for any shot you are comfortable taking, but you MUST practice a lot to be confident in your shot choice. If you shoot off a bench at 100 yards to sight in before hunting season, and your usual shot is 50-150 yards, that is what you should limit your shooting to. If you practice at 300-650 yards, and can confidently hit an area the size of your hand at those ranges, take the shot.

As jeff said above, clean the barrel thoroughly, get rid of the copper and carbon, and see how you do off a bench at longer ranges. A new rifle won't magically make you a better shot, so before you spend the money, spend a little time and effort, and money, of course, on seeing how your rifle can shoot over longer ranges.

#19 ·
I would consider the 25-06 but for my personal choice it would be a 7mm-08. That's me and probably a caliber that won't be mentioned very often.

My question to you is, how many 350 yard consecutive hits have you made into say a coffee cup saucer? Now I would say most good rifle shots become marginal shooters beyond this range. When you get into 500 yd plus shooting there is considerable info that needs instantly processed to make a hit. Not trying to discourage you just making you aware that it takes a lot of practice, caliber of choice ballistic data, degree of angle to shot, sun position, wind, reading mirages, etc.

Have fun but its a different world out there.

#22 ·
This is some great info here. Now to answer the folks asking if I'm confident enough to shoot that far. I just started hunting at these places, I do not plan to buy a rifle, shoot it a few times, then start slinging lead way out there. I understand it takes lots of time/practice to get comfortable with those distances, but you have to start somewhere right? And it's mainly the coyotes that'll be the farther shots.

Thanks for the info so far guys

Smokey

#23 ·
It can be done. You are rite that we all started sometime & your not going to learn any younger. Your 308 or any of the other calibers mentioned will work. I shoot out to 1100 yards on steel. It's pretty awesome to hear that thing ring. We use pop bottles & milk jugs for hunting practice we set them out around the field and we walk around and use our shooting sticks and bipods to make it a realistic hunting scenario. Practice doping the wind. That's the hardest part of long range shooting.

#24 ·
Smokey;

You say you don't trust your 7400 anymore and I have to ask why? My go to rifle out of all I own is a older model Rem. 760 in .270. After a-lot of careful handloading I found a load that will stay under an inch at 100 yard's. I have never had a problem shooting coyote out to 400 yard's with this combo.

Unless you just feel the need for a new gun, which is totally cool with me lol,why not just work up a load for your .308. It is still one of the finest long range cartridge's ever made. Just ask the marine sniper's.

Ken

#25 ·
If you are mainly looking at it as a deer rifle that you will terminate the coyotes on occastion and not interested in saving fur, and are looking to be effecting at taking longer shots, 300 to 600 yards as indicated I presume at the coyotes???

A bolt action will probably be able to provide better accuracy.

I guess first you could try out your existing gun at those ranges and see how it does.

If it does not perform to your expectations, then I would go with a savage or Rem 700 bolt gun. 25-06 would be a nice choice. 100 grain nosler ballistic tips will kill deer, and will stomp a coyote, and should be reasonable flat shooting.

then you only have on load to deal with.

#26 ·
Smokey - I agree with Ken. Your .308 will do anything you need, unless the accuracy has deteriorated so much that you just can't shoot it accurately at any range anymore. If this is the case, you have to ask yourself why?

Is the barrel fouled? Carbon or copper? Or has it just had too many hot rounds through it, and is shot out?

Is your ammunition to blame, and why? Factory or handloads?

What has changed in your shooting style? Have you gained/lost a bunch of weight?

Any of the above reasons can be fixed, but maybe you just want a new rifle. To my mind, the best out-of-the-box rifle available today, purely for accuracy, is Savage. Factor in price, available calibers and features, and I don't think any other manufacturer can touch it. You say you will be shooting out to perhaps 650 yards. In that case, I would go with a .280-.30 caliber round, for retained energy at range, as well as ease of shooting (light recoil).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.