1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

which way to ajust an ajustable comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cwc mac, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwc mac

cwc mac TS Member

If your pattern on a patterning board is left of target which way do you move the adjustable comb?

thanks for the help cwc mac
  2. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

Move it to the left. Like the rear sight of a handgun. Mike.
  3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

You have it backwards, you move the comb to the right, if you move it to the left it will shoot farther to the left.

If the sights are lined up for you exactly, Close your eyes mount the gun, open your eyes, are sights aligned, If yes there is a problem w/choke tube not bored correctly, or the choke is bored in-correct or the Bbl is bent.

Your eye is the rear sight you want the center bead to align up with the front sight bead.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dare I say this, longshot is correct. You move the comb and the rear sight in the direction you wish the point of impact to go.
  5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

6. BigM-Perazzi

Cowboy, did you mean 'correct'? lol
  7. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

The guys are correct. You move it in the direction that you want to shoot. Mike.
  8. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

This same question pops up very frequently, but the answers are often not very helpful (in my opinion). So far, only Dr. Longshot has hinted at the correct answer, which is that the shooter may not need to move his comb/eye at all (or, stated a better way, moving the comb might be exactly the wrong thing to do).

Many responders just blindly tell the shooter to move his comb to the right, without first ascertaining the following important details:

1. Is the Original Poster's eye already aligned with the rib's centerline when he shot patterns? If it is, do you really want him to move his eye off the centerline and shoot with his eye misaligned?

2. How far is his pattern striking to the left? And at what distance from the muzzle?

- Tech Writer Jeff
  9. goose2

goose2 Active Member

Always move the comb the same direction you need to move the poi.
  10. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

FORS - Front Opposite, Rear Same when moving sights!

Rear sight to right --> impact to right

Rear sight up --> impact up

Substitute comb for sight on trap gun
  11. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

Tech writer Jeff, that is eactly what my dilemma is: I am patterning! a k80 34" un-single at 27 yards with both bids aligned and the POI is 1" to the left of the POAim. What do in that case? I did move the comb to the right and I did centered my pattewto the POA. The bids are not aligned but who cares, If the gun shoots straight!
  12. steele

steele TS Member

With all due respect, would it not be difficult to determine 1" on the center of a pattern?
  13. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

Agreed . . . muzzleblast has a legitimate question. That's also exactly the question I was going for in my earlier post ("How far is his pattern striking to the left? And at what distance from the muzzle?")

1-inch off at 27 yards???? That's equivalent to about 1.5" off at a full 40 yards. And you're worried about that???? With a shotgun???? And as muzzleblast said, were you actually able to determine the center of a 27-yard pattern to such a precise measurement? Did you shoot more than one pattern? Were they all exactly 1-inch off? (No shotgun I'm familiar with will shoot every pattern within an inch of each other even under perfect conditions).

My recommendation (take it for what it's worth) would be to ignore this slight deviation, and shoot with the beads aligned. A 1-inch deviation (if it really exists, and is consistent) won't really cause any missed targets. However, if you've found a solution that works for you (shooting with the beads misaligned), it's certainly OK with us.

By the way, how far did you move the comb to the right to fix your problem? To fix a 1-inch error at 27 yards only takes about .04-inch of eye movement. Did you move it only that much, or more?
  14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

The above answers are correct it your goal is to shoot to the center of the
    patterning board. If you're talking about breaking targets, shoot at targets-
    particularly straightaways- and see what kind of breaks you're getting.

Nearly every gun shoots left of center at a patterning board when shot by a
    right handed shooter.
  15. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

It was not difficult at all to measure my pattern been 1" to the left. 3 shots at the same distance, measure the distance from the last bb to the left, right, top and bottom divide by 2 and were the two axis meet that's the center of your pattern.
    I also do agree that is not important that my pattern is 1" off at 27-30 yards, as to why is happening. Is it that I am not turning enough into the gun, or I am torqueing the gun as I fire?
  16. BigM-Perazzi

Wooooow...
    Then your pattern is only based on the extreme spreads of 4 pellets??!

I suggest a little bit of pattern evaluation instruction is needed here!

NEIL!!
  17. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

Quote from BigM-Perazzi:

"Wooooow... Then your pattern is only based on the extreme spreads of 4 pellets??!"

Well said, and right on the money!

PSA#33: I hope you realize that if only one of those 4 pellets (out of the several hundred in your shot charge) happened to land just a couple of inches differently . . . then the so-called "center" (as you measure it) of your pattern will be significantly shifted. Due to the random nature of pellets splattered all over a pattern board, your method would result in POI measurements that would be so different from each other for every shot as to be virtually meaningless. Translation: you have not really proven that your POI is 1-inch to the left, nor whether it's far-enough off-center to be causing missed targets.

Did you shoot the gun at real clay targets before you went to the patterning board? If so, was your score commensurate with your current skill level? If yes, my advice is to step away from the pattern board and just go shoot. Your Horizontal POI is probably OK right now, and always was.

- Tech Writer Jeff
  18. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

I do micro-tune my POI both vertical and horizontal, I do use calipers when I adjust my rib, and I do put my trust on Tom W. to have consistent pellet spread.
  19. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

Quote from PSA #33:

"I do micro-tune my POI both vertical and horizontal, I do use calipers when I adjust my rib, and I do put my trust on Tom W. to have consistent pellet spread".

Ooooookkkaaaayyyy. So you're telling us that Tom W (presumably Wilkinson) can control each and every .09-inch lead spheroid hurled through the atmosphere with such consistency that every pattern is so totally symmetrical as to enable you to "micro-tune" your POI by analyzing the pattern sheet practically down to the molecular level??

I have just one question: are you simply yankin' our crank to see what kind of reaction you'll get from us, or do you actually believe what you're telling us?

By the way, here's a direct quote from my latest book (Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting). As it turns out, I must have written this with you in mind:

"You’ve heard the saying that somebody "measures with a micrometer, but cuts with an axe"? With POI, we've long been guilty of the opposite – hacking away at a patterning board with what is essentially an imprecise axe, and then acting as if it’s possible (or meaningful) to measure the ragged, pellet-blasted pattern sheet with a micrometer."
  20. BigM-Perazzi

I'd like to see you explain this to T.W, Neil Winston, or Bruce Buck.........
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.