1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which way do you face your window fan?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

do you face it to draw fresh air into the room or to push hot air out of the room? also, do you place the fan directly by the open window or do you place it across the room, facing the open window? thanks

2. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

Pointed in from outside when the cool nights are here but across the room when its hot out to have some semblance of a breeze over me while sleeping.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

out in the early morning. Fans located strategically to be complemented by the breeze.

The house is cool within a half hour.

Then the blinds get pulled and fan speeds reduced.

My Dad would put a fan in front of the heat register to pull cool air up from the basement.

HM

4. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Away when I pee in it! Seriously, blowing out an upstairs window and drawing the cool evening air from a downstairs window and cellar. Timer runs 7-7 and I sometimes need a cover except for the muggiest nights in Blitzburgh!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The tree pollen is so bad this year I'm keeping the windows closed. HMB

6. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

7. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

What he said.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just the thought of my wife living without A/C makes me laugh.

-Gary

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Nothing like a ceiling fan.

10. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I use A/C just because of the damn bugs. Nothing like waking up to a house full of flying bastards!

But, when I had to run fans, I run two fans pulling in air in the back bedroom, then two fans pulling air from the living room outside. Just like a cattle barn, always best to have equal pushing and pulling fans. Creates great cross-ventilation.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Point the fan the direction you want the air to go. Intake or exhaust depends on wheter you want outside air in or inside air our. Just remeber, in either case there will be new air brough into the house.

A/C is great if you got alot of cash to spare. Evaporative coolers work well out here in the dry climates, and not at all in humid areas. Attic ventilation is a big money saver.

12. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Attic Fan sucks out the stale air in the house and attic and expells it out the roof, and cools the entire house, gotta leave a window open on the North (shady) side of the house...cool as A/C (well, considering I am in San Diego), not too much need of A/C here!...and haven't seen or heard a mosquito in years!

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Attic fan cools the upstairs, I leave a window open on the shady side to pull in air. At night, I put box fans in the window and turn on the ceiling fan. The high desert gets smok'n hot in July and August. I have AC but man is it expensive and it doesn't adequately cool the upstairs bedrooms.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Whichever way you face the fan, one should be aware that you also need to open another window elsewhere to permit flow-through.

I fight with my wife about this all the time at bedtime. If she wants fresh air, in order for outside air to come in, you have to kick out some air elsewhere.

FWIW.

WW

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

My Dad was a master at air flow we installed a huge attic fan belt driven with louvers cut in the side of the house that blew open. If it was hot out he would close all the windows except the cellar windows the air would be pulled in to the cool basement and drawn up threw the house cooling the whole house at night. If it was cooler out he would just open the bedroom windows and draw the air directly in you needed a blanket. This was in the 1950's we did air condition the house ourselves in time my Dad never called anyone for service he always did it himself a breed of men that are hard to find today I wish I could do half of what he did and a great father . Buddy

16. 100straight

100straight Member

Usually in, except when the wife and I eat Cabbage for dinner, and then I definately set it to blow out!

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In a house I used to live in I installed a large Chelsea fan in the gable end of the attic--it blew out & in con junction with it there was a powered louver mounted in the ceiling of the second floor it would draw air thru the first floor windows-@ times the drapery would be pulled away from the windows. By exhausting hot air from the attic & drawing cool air in we almost never used our a/c. This was in the NJ hills.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

face fan in or out window

should i face window fan in or out upstairs

which way should fan face in window

which way to face window fan