1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Wads for 7/8oz loads in STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Hello all, I'd like to shoot some 7/8oz loads, which wads have you guys had the best luck with in 12ga STS hulls? Thanks Joe

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kinda depends on the powder you're going to use (bulky or dense) but the Winchester gray WAA12L, Downrange XXL pink, and the Federal 12S0 all work well.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've never tried to hide my fondness of the Win. AA wads or their clones from any company you would like to buy them from. I believe its the most copied wad in the world for a good reason. Break-em all. Jeff

4. twopipe

twopipe Member

Gray wads, Claybuster or Winchester, both work great !

5. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I use 700x so I don't know if this is considered bulky. Will this power make a difference in wad selection? Joe

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

DRXXL pink

7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Another vote for Donw Range DRXXL pink

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I tried the DRXXL pink using Clays...but found they filled up the case a lot; got some crimps that started to open up. In the Keep It Simple Stupid idea of not having to stock 2 different wads, I began using DRXL-1 yellow 1 oz. wads for both 7/8ths and 1 oz. loads...the Hodgdon book shows loads for both (they see the DRXL-l as a direct replacement for Winchester SL wads). So now I only have to keep the one wad on hand and it works great for both loads... Best Regards, Ed

9. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

OldGoat -- My 1oz load is with TGT12 CB clones but when I loaded a box of 7/8oz my crimps pushed in and opened up. I decided it best to find a new wad instead of changing power. Looks like the DRXXL pink might work good for me. I use a #28 bushing for 17gr 700x. Joe

10. folothru

folothru Member

use 16.9 gr. e3 cb4100 wad 8`s if you want all smoke 7.5 if you want insurance on a break keep your head down

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

dr xxl. it's not like any other wad. it's super slick, super tough and very clean shooting. you'll like it. good luck with it

12. cafowler

cafowler Member

I use the DR Jammer XL1, they're all shown at the website link above. I use 21.5 Gn of International powder for 1,290 fps, they crimp up nice and tight. Most look just like new. I bought 2 cases for a great price, have been happy with them.

The grey AA replacements load up nice also. I've used a handful of those and one friend swears by them.

13. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Just like Joe I use for 7/8's 16.5 700X CB grey or Winchester Grey and use the same load when using 1oz, 700X is really an excellent 12ga power, very clean have use this load in skeet & trap no reason to change although I use#27 bushing

Kevin

14. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

#34 Bushing for MEC which with my setup gives me about 18 grains of Clays. I use a TGT-12 replacement wad and a win 209 in a AA hull for a perfect crimp and about 1250 fps. The STS hull works but the crimp is not as nice due to the extra length of the hull. I use 7 1/2's and have sold several of my friends on this load. Smashes the targets without smashing me. Same setup with 8 1/2's and a gray AA wad for a nice 3/4 ounce load for shooting dragonflies in the summer! Or for shooting some skeet with my voice release when no witnesses are around.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

With STS hulls, 700X or any other dense powder, and loads under 1220fps, you cannot do better than the Fed 12S0 wad (or an exact clone). Faster than that, the extra powder will cause slightly bulked crimps. For loads faster than 1250fps, the DRM XXL pink works. Personally, I do not care for any Winchester style wad. Stick with the 12S0 or maybe the CB2100-12. You won't be disappointed.

16. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I picked up a small bag of gray wads(all they had) at my local shop and you guys are right they made perfect crimps. I shoot my 1oz 17gr 700x load in a semi-auto but I think I'll try copperjohn's load since I'm shooting the 7/8oz in a Citori. So many wads to try! Thanks all Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.