1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Wad Is Best

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Which wad holds the tightest pattern in 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads ?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Federal 12S0 (1 oz.) and 12S3 (1-1/8 oz.).

Of course this is just my opinion as I reload Federal hulls (Gold Medal, Top Gun, Estates and Walmart Federal multi-purpose).

I am a believer that when using a specific hull then use that manufacturers components.

Curt

3. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I like Downrange Figure 8's and their Windjammers too.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's like asking which car do you like.............Everyone performs and looks different.

5. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I get the best handicap (27) patterns in my guns with the Downrange WJ clone and International Clays in a Remington hull. The Wright's chokes are also part of the equation.

Lots of variables but I am happy with my results at the patterning board and on the targets as well.

Buckeye

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lage Uniwads which are no longer made were in my opinion the best universal wad ever made. I shot them for years until they went out of business. The younger shooters on here probably never heard of them. I used them for all loads in all hulls from 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gualandi Trap Commander from Ballistic Products. Best pattern I have found with 1 oz load.

Jim Skeel

8. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have used Winchester AA, Remington figuire 8, Windjammer and Duster wads. I have patterned all of them. If you were to put all the pattern boards together you would not tell a difference. I buy Blue Dusters because there low priced.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd (Corrected later in this thread - it was Dan Thome, not Bob Dodd.) did get an interesting difference a recent pattern test but my results (above) , even when I did a comparison with "guaranteed" results, came to no difference at all, just as 90T predicts. I shoot "factory" wads, mostly, but when I don't, nothing seems to change, no matter what load, what powder, what primer, or what wad.

Neil

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Lage Uni-wad I wished they still made them, I also used them and remember them well. Have been trying to get DOWNRANGE Mfgr a wad to the same dimensions as the Remington SP-12 wad, thay could shorten the legs on their Win AA-12 wad.
    The early Winchester Yellow wads had shorter legs and worked well with bulky powders and also 1 1/4 oz loads. The SP-12 works well for me, but won't pay the $125 + cost for them, I wished they made a clone for the Fed 12S4 wad.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Unfortunately, there is no one answer. You simply have to find which wad works best for you based on what your particular shotgun likes, what components (hull, powder, primer) you use, and what distance you are shooting at. Everyone has their favorite, often based on ease of loading, price, etc and have never patterned to really know. But with modern wads, there often is little actual difference from one wad to another. So you pays your money, and takes your choice.

Jim R

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm unsure what Sir Neil is referring to regarding any patterning I have done - a very rare occurrence - and I tend to agree with 90T and Neil's points as well....Bob Dodd

13. Neil Winston

Sorry, Bob. I thought it was you who got different results with (as I remember) Uniwads and something else. Pellet counts and all. I can't find a trace now and wonder if I imagined it. You should be partially comforted by the fact that I only mentioned it because I thought you had done it, and so we should pay attention to it.

Neil

14. Neil Winston

Found it, Bob. It was Dan Thome. And Versalite. Otherwise . . .

I think it's important to cite other's results when they pass my pellet-count test, even if they differ from mine.

Neil

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No offense taken, Neil but I did have to do some pondering about what sort of fib I might have postulated upon. Dan's a buddy too and I can imagine that he just might exceed my analosity to some teensy degree <;-)....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what wads should u ues with federal mutli purpo loads