1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Wad for Federal Paper/27 yds.?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rpg1339, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpg1339

rpg1339 TS Member

I'm a 27 yarder with a 96 hdcp. avg. (having used Nitro 27 and Win. Super Hdcp. factory loads) and am considering going to reloads with Federal paper.

I've been trying the 12C1 wad which was originally made for this paper hull and it seems to be working out quite well. Am loading 3 dr. 1 1/8 7 1/2. However, these wads are getting harder to find (Federal discontinued making them). Also, they don't hit targets as hard, not as much smoke as with the Nitro 27's.

Some shooters have told me to try a different wad from hdcp. for the paper shell. Which wad would work better and make it so I can see smoke again from 27?

Thanks from Bob G.

2. RLSS

RLSS TS Member

Bob,

Can't gaurentee the smoke, but the FED. 12S3 is the alternative to the 12C1, which is obsolete. Before I ran out of Fed. Papers, I switched to the 12S3, and saw little if any performance change.

Devan Harris of Federal recommended the above.

RLSS

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

12S3

Curt

4. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

If this is the Robert Green from Utah, I can vouch for his average. The man can shoot! Bruce

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Whichever wasd you select, it MUST haave a powder cup diameter of 0.718". The tapered wall wads such as Winchester AA only measure 0.702".

You will get large amounts of blow-by using anything smaller that the 0.718".

We've had this discussion several times with Federals; paper and plastics. I have chronographed these using various wads, and it is important to NOT use a wad with the smaller diameter cups. Some will argue, but they are foolish and just don't understand the lost fps due to blow-by.

Whiz

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In the paper hull, I have had great results with 1 1/8 oz in the Claybuster CB 3118-12AR clone of the 12C1. It will rock a target's world from the 27 with a well built handicap load. I use 25 gr Unique in front of a Fed 209A primer. Easy on the body, hard on the bird!

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

MAN! If you carry a 96 from the 27 please tell me what to use! Good shooting!!!

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Wiz - "Whichever wad you select, it MUST haave a powder cup diameter of 0.718"."

Which wads pass that test.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I PM mailed mrsheet410 on this one.

I believe it's the Claybuster CB3118-12AR and the CB2118-12. SOmeone else here will know. Looks like Shooting Coach uses the 12AR, but I think my last bag (which is gone now) was the CB2118-12 (same one I used in FGMP's.

I've not tried the 12SO, CB2100-12 in order to mic the cup.

Seems that any Federal wad will work because Federals are straight-walled cases.

Whiz

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

T Y Wiz.

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I haven't spent too much time working these shells b/c I have plenty of old style AA's and their correct wads and these shells use less powder for same velocity. So here's my question:

Are the Fed papers, Gold Medal all plastics, and the non cheddite Estates all the same shell with regard to the loads?

Would you share your favorite loads for these shells with preferences for the 12S3, 12S0, or clone wads?

The trade off seems to be less recoil with Fed shells even tho they use more or slower powders.

thanks so much.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Fed. 12 S4 !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.