1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which wad for Estate Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RHAT, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

I'm considering loading some Estate Hulls,.....what wad should I use,?? where would I get load data,??

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You'll need wads designed for straight-wall hulls. Ideal choices would be the Federal 12SO wads for 1-ounce and the 12S3 wads for 1-1/8 ounce loads. Clones of these wads are also available from Claybuster and Downrange. For load recipes, just go the powder manufacturer's website and use the data for loading Federal Gold Medal hulls. .....Rick

3. lance howard

lance howard Member

Rhat, I load Estates with several different combos. I got the data from the RCBS shotshell data book. It lists the various brands of shells under the parent company name that manufactures or has manufactured the cases for the brand of shells you are loading. Apparently, several companies made Estate cases over the years, Cheddite and Fiocci are the two I see in the book. I have only loaded the cases with a paper basewad as I have never seen the plastic basewad cases in the lots of ammo that I have purchased. I have had excellant results with 700x and green dot powders with Downrange wads. I would get a copy of the RCBS book and make your choices as to components. I use Noble 209 or Winchester primers with 17.1 700x (that is what my bushing drops and it seems fine) DR copy of Rem Target 12 wad and 1oz shot. My chronograph says average velocity of 1185. I use the same primer and powder with 7/8oz shot and a DRXXL orange wad. Real nice light load for the singles in good weather. Fed 209A primer, 20.4 green dot, DR12s3 clone wad, 1-1/8 shot. Decent load for the handicap, chrongraph says 1215 average speed. Do not get greedy with the number of times you reload these cases. The steel case head loosens up quick in the primer pocket area. I load twice and that is it.
    Hope this helps out. I could not keep throwing thoses cases on the ground at shoots and it made sense to me that they could be reloaded at least once or twice. I am not a high dollar guy and you can get a lot of these cases for nothing at the shoots. Lance Howard

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Estate hull, Downrange Jammer-XL (8-petal), 1 1/8oz shot, 18grains of Promo, Fiochi primer, works pretty good. Load once and toss -- there are to many available to use again after 1 reloading -- just toss'em. This applies to Wal-mart Federals too.............m

5. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Estates, 18.2 to 18.8 700x; Win 209 or Nobelsport 209; CB 2118-12 the sub for the Fed 12S3.

I only fire them three times ---- reload 2x. Do the same with my Fed plastic, paper base wad. I will load 9's in the Estates and 8s in the Feds. That way I can tell what they are when I use tow different loads at a clays station.

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,I've used TGT12 wads,cheddite primers with Green Dot and they've worked fine.Also noticed I can get more reloads out of Etates than winchester universals.

Doug H.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I like the Claybuster Red Eight for one loads in the promo Estate/Fed hulls. Makes a DANDY Sporting load. Also, great for Singles and Dubs.

I load 21.8 gr Solo 1000, Rio primer, the Red Eight, and one ounce of 7 1/2's. Super clean, fast, and easy shooting. Destructive on targets.

The older ones with the plastic base wad were made by Cheddite. The newer ones with paper base wad are identical in performance with the promo Fed hull.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Red 8 or 12SO/12S3 clones. Larger diameter seals better. You will get some blowby from smaller diameter wads made for STS and AA. You won't notice it but if you go retrieve a wad and inspect it you will see the skirt burned by blowby.

Small hull, small wad. Big hull, big wad.

Simple.

HM

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

RHAT:

Mr. Howard is correct. Estates haven't always been made by Federal. Indeed Federal bought Estate Cartridge Co. from Cheddite several years ago.

Cheddite's version had a plastic internal basewad and stars on the head. I'm not sure about published data for the Cheddite product.

The Federal product OTOH, has a rolled paper basewad like Top Guns and Walmart Federals. For purposes of reloading, both of those hulls are the same. And...
    Alliant published data using 12S0 and 12S3 wads and their clones. I've loaded and shot a boat load of both.

I'm inclinded to agree with Merlyn on the number of reloads. Estates and Walmart Federals have steel heads. Each time a hull with a steel head gets deprimed/reprimed the primer pocket gets bigger. Eventually you'll have primers falling out. That statement applies to Gun Clubs as well.

There's such a large supply of Estates, Wally Feds, and Gun Clubs available in my area, I never load any of them more than once.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate cartridge reloading data
estate hull reloading data
estate hulls reloading data
estate shotshell load data

estate shotshell reloading data

reloading estate shotgun hulls

reloading estate shotgun shells

who makes estate shotgun shells