1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mo Bill, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

I shoot a release in my BT 100.I am contemplating buying an XT.
    I am agonizing over a release/pull or a double release...just don't know
    if I would be quick enough for a double release.On the other hand I would
    probably fall on my face trying to pull on the second shot.I am sure
    others have gone through this..any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx
    Mo Bill

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Many of us have done it the hard way, start with a Release/Flinch and end up with Double Release.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey MO... It's a club! I will be trying a Release/Pull this spring... Can you wait for an answer till then? I went for a 90 dubs shooter wiht pulls to a klutz with double releases. Spent a lot of money that ain't comin back either.

Try the release/pull first

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I did it the way miketmx described. Don't repeat my mistake-- go with a double release.

Pat Ireland

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MO... I also tried to go the release/pull route. After a lot of embarrassment, and many missed targets due to not being able to master it, I took the plunge and went to double releases. I should have done that first. I wasted a lot of money, and I was advised to go to double releases right from the start by someone who had also made the same mistake. But, there are those out there that will say they have used a release/pull for years with no problems. Trust me on this one; they are in the minority.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I do a release pull, and it works fine for me.

tony

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I am one of those minority guys also. Release-pull. But I am not a "big dog" so take it from there.

Rick in Mt.

8. ShooterOne

ShooterOne Member

Mo Bill:

Have to agree with the others that advise going to the double release.

Against the advice of an All American shooter/friend I went the release/pull route and after developing a "flinch" on the second shot I had to go with the double release and apologize to my All American friend for not taking his advice in the first place.

Had no problem adjusting to the double release sequence and have never regretted the conversion.

Make the switch and don't look back.

9. brownk80

brownk80 Member

If you want a really, really fast trigger go to a pull-release. Saw a Ljutic BiMatic with one. So fast you could shoot one bird twice with no effort!!

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I spoke with a number of the top shooters in this area and they all wished they had gone to double release from the start. So, I did. The double release works just dandy. Shoot some skeet doubles to get used to it. Bill Malcolm

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Double release all the way, you will like it, if you shot an auto, it would be like a double release.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've been told by more than one top shooter that if you can handle a release-pull, you don't need a release in the first place. In other words, it is unusual for a flincher not to flinch with any pull trigger.

The fastest trigger combination for doubles is a release-pull. Think about the finger movements involved and you'll see why that's true - it's strictly release and pull. Pulls are pull, release, pull and double releases are release, pull, release. For that reason, I know some shooters who shoot pull triggers for singles and handicap but release-pull for doubles.

Double releases aren't tough to learn and shoot quickly. You just set the second trigger as soon as you start toward the second target. Most people who have trouble are simply trying to set that trigger faster than they really need to.

Ed

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I release and set the trigger for the second shot in one motion. I don't even think about it. It's like the set is a rebound from the release. I shoot doubles, skeet and sporting clays this way. I don't know if other shooters do this, but I would hate to have to think about setting the trigger for the second shot.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

dickgtax, I think most shooters with a double release do it the same way as you. I reset the release on my B-303 as soon as I shoot the first bird too. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.