1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which travels farther

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Last night at the club there was a big debate and a new shooter went home with a sour taste left in his mouth.

This club has a game shoot every other Saturday night. They have a shell restriction policy. They only allow 1 1/8 oz shells and no shot bigger than 7 1/2's. This is due to shot fall issues.

A new guy shows up to shoot and everything was fine. He was made to feel right at home like any new shooter would be. Nothing was mentioned about the shell restrictions as everyone watched him get new Winchester Universal's out of his shooting bag.

After the third game everyone was kinda talking about the new guy and how he can really hit the long birds. Someone, without the shooters permission, rifled through his bag and saw that he was using #6's. Mind you, that these shells are factory 3 dram (1200fps) 1 1/8oz shells.

Then the whole night came to a screatching halt. Shooters started bitching (the guys that normally win, but were shut out because of the new guy) and management made a fuss.

I put my 2 cents worth in that nobody ever explained the shell restrictions to the guy and that those Nitro Sporting and Winchester Super Sporting shells (both of which are 1300fps or faster) carry a lot further than those 3 dram shells he was using.

Instead of offering the new guy a chance to change shells (if he didn't have any I would have gladly given him whatever he needed), they labeled him a cheater and sent him packing refunding his entry money.

My question is, which shell is going to carry the furthest all things being equal. (I really don't want to get into a debate about how the shooter was treated because it won't lead to anything good)

ss

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The "Club Geezers" strike again! Run off the new guy, brilliant. LOL.

-Gary

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gives me an idea; is there some kind of paint that dries quickly, holds up, and doesn't degrade the plastic on a shell? Obviously, I'm in a mood to go fishing this fair am!

Regards,

David

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The real question is which pellets will carry the most energy at point of impact. If they were traveling at the same speed AT POINT OF IMPCT, the # 6 shot would. However that is very difficult to determine. Does the added resistance of #6 shot cause it to slow faster so that it has less energy at point of impact?

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

SS, find out what an individual shot of #6 and a #7-1/2 weight. Then use 1/2MV^2 to find out the energy. Wayne

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The #6 pellet will have far more energy at 50 to 60 yards than a #7.5 pellet even if the #6 starts out 100 fps slower.

Easystreet

7. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Had I been the new guy I would have told the "Club Geezers" to kiss my azz and find somewhere else to shoot.

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

If this story is true, the jacka$$ that went searching through his bag needs his fingers broke.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll second that Squirrel.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Appears that the Club Directors need to suspend the offender for a while. A year off should do the trick!!

Curt

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Sounds like theft of ammo from the shooters bag...charges could be filed.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Assuming a true story, the larger pellets will travel further but I'll not attempt wrestling with the math. RE handling the offender; were there adequate and visible signs posted where the fellow could or should have known the limits for games? Should that issue perhaps be discussed before games begin? Could the fellow be warned of the need for a size limit and asked to ensure he complies in the future? Should he have been handled as if a cheater? Not the first time in my mind......Bob Dodd

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Mr. D:

You're right, and that's exactly what happens constantly at many trap clubs. The young shooters leave and never come back. In my opinion much of the growth of Sporting Clays can be directly attributed to Trap Club Geezers, angry about the deteriorating function of their shooting eye and weiner, running off the young shooters.

Squirrelkiller is right on too. Anybody who puts their hands in another man's shooting bag deserves a punch in the mouth. If the new guy wanted to cheat he could have brought his own illegal reloads like most cheaters.

-Gary

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

No doubt that new shooter could have won with 7 1/2's as well. Your ole farts just ran off a potential new member and source of revenue. He won't be back after that treatment. In my opinion there is a time to thank old timers for their service and patronage but it's time to shut up and just shoot!

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Dave, LOL. Club Geezers can NEVER be silenced. They can't shoot well anymore, their weiners don't work like they used to, and BY GOD -- YOUNG SHOOTERS MUST PAY!!! LOL!

-Gary

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind some clubs could be shut down if shot lands on private property. Some clubs are backed up right against residential areas, and shot fallout is taken very seriously.

17. JTEA

JTEA Member

This also begs the question of when the average shooter should, or may, get involved with another shooter's gear. Dick's sells plenty of Sporting Clays loads > 1300 fps. and I've seen apparent use at meat shoots. How about a registered shoot?

I've noted a number of discussions about reloads on TS.com where shooters discussed loads which exceeded 1250 fps. Is it that uncommon?

Geezers and guys set in their ways seem to abound. Many clubs might have returned the money and declared a re-shoot / plus given the new shooter some free passes to shoot in the future.

Also, having shot a 75 yard pheasant while walking to a goose blind - there's no doubt that speed kills. Smaller shot at too high a speed becomes non-productive, add a little mass with speed and it's lethal. At 50 yards the 7 1/2 load becomes border line for a live pigeon, #6 @ 1200 fps. is deadly. Same for a clay target.

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ss, the 6's will fly eighty feet farther, 787 vs 707 feet.

Neil

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks Neil.

I would have thought that the 7 1/2's would have traveled farther seeing how those Winchesters are rated at 1400 fps and the Nitro Sporting shells are almost as fast (the box says 1300 fps but the chrono shows them to be closer to 1350 fps). So much for what I know.

I'm in no way affiliated with the club in question as I just shoot there occasionally when the weather is good and the mood strikes me.

ss

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What if the club sent the new shooter a written letter of apology?

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how far did two people travel when one travels farther than other