1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Trap Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldcop, Aug 4, 2013.

1. oldcop

oldcop Member

Feb 17, 2007

I know this is very subjective, but here goes anyhow. I shot reg'd skeet for some years, but there is nothing close to me here in Northern Colorado where my second home is. However, the local gun club has just reopened the trap field. I have a Super X1 that Ruck sold me several years back that I enjoy shooting, but I shot a Baretta 687EELL skeet gun for years and I'm thinking I want another o/u for trap. So......in the $3000.00 range, let me have your ideas. No fights now! I know Ruck just got one of the new Brownings, but I'm old school and still a little leery of Japanese Brownings although I know a lot of folks shoot them. My prejudice is probably because I have a Belgian Superposed two-barrel set I've owned since 1969, and I don't think the quality compares, although I know the hand-fitting involved made it difficult for Browning to keep the manufacturing in Belgium.

Thanks for helping an old geezer!
  2. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Nov 22, 2009
    In that price range you should be able to buy a new Beretta 682 gold EX as I have seen some discounted prices on them as Beretta is making room for their new model coming out. Don't be leery of the Japanese Browning as they are top quality. I have owned a couple and they are well made and bring good resale. Buy the one that fits you the best.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If I were a collector I would want a Superposed but as a shooter I would take a Citori.
  4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Buckley Washington
    You should have no problem finding a Beretta or a Browning in that price range. Do not under estimate the new Brownings. They are excellent shooters and there are a heck of a lot of them on the trap ranges. I personally know of a young man who two years ago decided to switch from the Citori that he had been shooting to a Beretta. Now this is no reflection what so ever on the gun. But his scores plummeted. Plummeted so bad that, he quit shooting for a year and a half. Two months ago he got the bug again. Dug out his Citori and started shooting again. He needed a pick-up truck to haul his trophies home from the PITA Grand Pacific. Now this was a result of two things. One he is one heck of a shooter and the most important, is gun fit. The Beretta while a top quality firearm. Simply did not fit him as well as the Citori. Go with what fits you best between the two. You cannot go wrong either way.

Jim B.
  5. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I have 4 classic Brownings; 2 FN's, 1 Broadway and Lightning. Reply to this for pics and info.

Paul Bobby
  6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    There is a very nice Beretta 682 up for sale on this forum. I would contact him and see if you can cut a deal. Looks like a great gun! Ed
  7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Since you shoot a 687 I would stick with either a 682 or 687 trap combo used and you will get a great gun in your price range.
  8. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Sedona, Arizona
    Last week at the trap field, the guy next to me had a new Japanese Browning O/U. I don't know if it was a Citori, but it repeatedly would not fire. I have a 1964 Belgian Superposed and am amazed at its Old World craftsmanship. But I mostly shoot a 1964 Ljutic Mono, serial #11.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Used Beretta 682 combo. Lots around for that price.