1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Sub gauge full length tubes? briley or Kolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loanman, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loanman

loanman Active Member

just purchased a carrier barrel for my Perazzi and looking into full length tubes. Which is the better set up, Briley or Kolar? I would like to hear pros and cons to each please.

any input that would help me decide, good or bad

thank you in advance for your input

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've had both. Briley does have a better warranty if you should need it but both are excellent and work well.I think cost is about the same if you compare the same type of tubes. I'd pick whichever company could do the work in the time frame I wanted/needed.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

loanman, Yes Briley has the better warranty, and will cover work that Kolar does not. Yes about the same price apples to apples, so to speak. Briley also gives you more chokes for the same cost as well. Give Gary a call at Briley and get-er-done!!! LOL Don't know why I had to do that. May I suggest the Ultimate Utra-lites. These are the ones with the strait rifleing down all 3 sets of tubes. They pattern great. The SKB cases are much lighter than the normal America cases if you don't do much Flying too. If you do fly you still might want both. Those metal cases are just too heavy to carry around every weekend. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Well I have had several of both...

Both shoot well and I can’t tell much difference in longevity nor patterns...I do like Briley's chokes and choke system better.

I will say this...if you have to deal with a man named Rags at Kolar... you will wish you bought Briley's..

I have had problems with both companies and had good service from both. But last set I got from Kolar and had to talk to that Rags man...I made myself a promise to tell everyone I could to never trade with Kolar again. I hear good things on this site about Kolar guns and service but I am just telling you what I experienced. YMMV….

5. high 2

high 2 Member

DITTO

6. TLEE

TLEE TS Member

I can tell you from my experience that Kolar products and service is outstanding, and I can say I have had plenty of experiences with Kolar and "Rags".
    I had to send one of my Kolar Tubes back to Racine just prior to the World Shoot, it was my fault not their product. I asked if they would send the tube to San Antonio so I could use it there. When I got there Rags informed me the tube was there, but they did not know where. This was NOT Kolar's or Rags' fault. However, Rags worked his butt off to find my tube (eventually they found it).
    When my tube could not be found prior to the event where I needed that tube Rags purchased a set of Briley Companion tubes for me to use in my gun so I could shoot the event. I repeat, this was not his fault and yet he bought a set of competitors tubes so I could shoot. I call that "pretty good customer service". I know I will purchase Kolar products from now on.

BTW - They turned my tube around in less than 2 weeks.

7. DickG

DickG TS Member

"Rags" and I used to shoot quite often at the club we both belonged to in Ohio before he joined Kolar. I found him to be engaging, fun to be around, knowledgable, not to mention a very good shot. Never had any business dealings with him, but, based on my experience with him, I would give him the benefit of the doubt in clearing up a problem

Just my experience. YMMV.

8. loanman

loanman Active Member

terrific feedback fellas, thank you. The reason why i was leaning toward Kolar was because their tubes are over bored and long forcing cones where I believe Briley doesn't over bore their tubes.

Is this enough of a benefit to choose one over the other?

I am having these tubes put in a light perazzi barrel that is fix choked MOD/FULL with a bore size of .738. John at Kolar said he is not sure if he can make the 20 gauge tube go all the way to the end of the muzzle with the full barrel until he actually sees the barrel. the full choke mics at .32

I really do not want to open up this barrel up as I plan to use this barrel for both bunker and for my subgauge tubes so I want to leave it fix choked at MOD/FULL. Opening the full barrel to light mod would defeat the other purpose of my barrel.

does anyone of you guys have full length tubes on a fix choked full barrel?

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ok.. Rags does not need me to defend him... BUT.. First.. I must say I have no love of Kolars.. I personally think they are heavy.. and not very dynamic.. BUT.. my dealings with Kolar.. and the factory.. and Rags.. have been nothing but first class.. I'm not sure a Briley set of tubes are any better than a Kolar set.. The money is about the same.. What I would check is which company will refit them to another barrel down the road.. if you ever need it.. That would be the company I would go with..

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well...when I wanted tubes, I called Briley. And got someone who couldn't have cared less about explaining things to me.

So I called Kolar..no one available right then, left a message. And Rags called me back, at 630pm HIS time (live in alaska, so it was easy for him to catch me then at work) and talked with me for about 45 minutes.

I found their service to be outstanding.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've shot Kolar tubes for my entire carrier. Started with them in a Browning Citori, then my old kolar, and now the kolar i'm presently shooting. All my dealings with Rags and Jeff Mainland have been first class all the way. I really can't thank them enough for everything they've all done for me. Every time I even get the itch to start thinking about trying a new gun just for kicks, I start to feel guilty because of all the help they've provided me over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley sub gauge tubes

briley sub gauge tubes pros and cons

carry case for briley sub guage tubes

full sub gauge tubes

kolar companion tubes

kolar rags

kolar sub gauge tubes

kolar vs briley sub gauge tubes