1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which station to start?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by david636, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david636

david636 TS Member

Last weekend I started on station 5 by choice for both singles and handicap, and I really suck at station 5. My thinking was I’d like to get the hardest station out of the way.

I am just curious, but if you had any station in which to start, what station would you select? Why? Is there something I should know, but don't about station selection?

Thanks in advance.

David

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Post 5 is ok Station 5 sucks I keep thinking the squad is waiting to move(5th shot) ive shot a lot of 20's missing the last shot on each post. I like 1, don't have to walk as far and nobody is waiting on me. It's all mental, but its real.

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

If you let the fear of any post get into your head you are doomed to miss there. My attitude has always been that if you don't like a post then shoot five shots (sometimes 10) and change it. Do not stand on the inside edge of posts one and five, another way of telling your sub-conscious you are afraid of the angles. Stand in the center of all posts and shoot with confidence not fear.

Remember this game is mostly mental. And stop thinking between shots, let your mind relax and then bring your pre-shot consentration into play just as the shooter to your left begins his gun mount, mount your gun, look hard for the target and shoot, then relax again. Watch every target softly not intenstly, so you will be ready for anything that just happened. If you are thinking you can or can't -- your right.

Above all enjoy the game, it's fun.

Tom Strunk

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I like station 3, gives me a chance to see a few more & to loosen up, before I have turn my old arthric joints loose on station 5.

Phil Berkowitz

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to start on station 2 or 3, this gives me a chance to practice reading the trap. By the time I get to stations 1 and 5, I pretty much have it figured out. It's nice to get 5 straight aways on those end stations. HMB

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like 1.

When you get to 5, you're done...

7. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I prefer to start on 5 and I don't even have an answer as to why that is haha.

J.F.

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

It's very rare that I get that luxury I just get to fill holes where ever that there is one.

9. JOND

JOND TS Member

I shoot doubles rarely,but have heard many shooters state they like to start on post 5. They say they get to see their targets four times before they have to pull the trigger. JOND

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If I start on post one then I know I'll have a good squad leader. Other than that factor, it really doesn't matter to me.

John C. Saubak

11. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Here's how I analyze it. Ultimately, the choice I make depends on which of these factors seems important to me at the time. Your mileage may differ.

Station 1 - the only station where I don't have to shoot both corners one right after the other. And I'm in the driver's seat, a little.

Station 3 - nice place to limber up (first round of the day), see how they rise, no hard angles. Good place to start with a gun I haven't shot recently.

Station 4 - nice place to start if it's near the end of the day and I'm feeling a little tired, since my last five shots will be at station 3, where everything seems a little easier.

Station 5 - gets the tough ones out of the way in a hurry. Very useful if I'm feeling "hot".

Station 2 - second choice if I can't get Station 3.

But ultimately, as someone said above, ya gotta shoot 'em all sooner or later.

Ted K.

12. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Like 635 G I prefer to "see a few" before I shoot my first bird in each round.I usually try to atart at post 4 or 5 for that reason, even though these tend to be my worst performance posts. Unlike hmb, I don't try to "read" the trap. That causes me to anticipate the direction of the bird when released and causes all kinds of problems for me.

13. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Honestly it should not matter but I prefer to start on 4 but I will start anywhere.My reasoning is similar to the above posts whereas I get to see how the targets are flying.If I start on 1 then I won't get to see them first or have a chance to mentally settle in and will be the lead off for each position.On 2 you get the move,change call before the last target on each position.3 is fine.On 5 I'm last and some shooters seem to like to walk around or fidget getting ready to move.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer to start on post 1. I somehow just got into the habit of doing it when I first started shooting. I'm left handed, and the hard left angles are my easiest target to shoot so I feel very comfortable there. I also enjoy setting the rhythm for the squad and kind of keeping track of things. I have found that, over the years, very few squad leaders are familiar with the rule book and how it pertains to certain situations, so, being the squad leader gives me some control over what happens in that regard. I will start anywhere, but, if I have my choice, I'll take Post 1..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

1, if you know the responsibility with squad leader.

WW

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I like pad 6 with an iced down dram of French Oak finish Glenlivet ! Jeff

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Turtle,
    You should give reading the trap a try. With the new failure to fire rule you are allowed 8 mistakes per 100. It makes getting those 10 straight aways on posts 1 & 5 a lot easier. HMB

18. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am a sit down shooter and for that reason I like 1 so I don't slow up or hit others with my chair going from 5 back to one. I would like some one to tell me the responsibility of the squad leader or were to find them.
    Pete

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with Jeff, love post 6. And while I do like his scotch of choice, I prefer Glenrothe

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like post one in practice, but on some early morning ATA shoots I don't mind post 2 or 3 to get my eyes working. ( missed the first bird out on post 1 too many times to be funny.}

But I will take any post to fill a good squad, or shoot off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.