1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Soft Gun Bag for BT-99?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Star4Ever, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I am getting a new to me Browinging BT-99 with a 32 inch barrel.
    I would like to transport this shotgun to the range in a soft gun case.
    So it appears there are two ways to go...

1) A soft case to hold the shotgun in a dis-assembled manner with the stock and barrel separated.

or

2) A longer 50/52" soft bag which would hold the shotgun in a fully assembled fashion.

I have an SUV so it can accommodate either style.

Is there any benefit for one style over the other?

Also, what brands should I be looking at? I know the Boyt line and there is also another
    brand called Timberlake... or something like that.

I would like a nice canvas bag with leather trim in wear areas...

Your thoughts?

Thanks... Art

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cabelas has these break down cases very reasonable. Has the leather trim and a divider in the middle. I used one all the time for my BT 99.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My soft case is made by Browning - here's a few pics of my 34" BT 99 with it. Dense padding, heavy canvas shell, heavy stitching - been carrying it all over for over a year and no damage to gun at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I prefer the full length case, because I can grease the gun before I go to the range and it's ready to go. Also you don't get grease all over the case when you break it down after shooting.

5. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

That Cabelas bag is made by Boyt.

I've already made the mistake of doing that.If you can't find one local go ahead and buy it from Boyt and save some money.

And,I've gone with the W2K zippers and the brass,the brass is the only way to go.

6. creek

creek Member

For my BT99 w/ 34" barrel, with extended choke. I use the Boyt Harness Signature model full case at 55 inches. It is the best made case I've ever come across. It is all hand stitched and has a nice side pocket for chokes, oil, grease, and wrench. I bought it through Gamiliels for $89. You won't be disappointed.

John Radtke

7. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

Google SKB Dry-Tek gun case - mpcsports.com sells them.

8. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I've got a Boyt Signature 52" case for my model 12 trap, and I love it. It costs a little more, but it is well made and guaranteed for life.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I original bought the Boyt "Hunter" case... I like the fact that the zipper is on top, not the bottom. They have since changed that case and placed it in the Bob Allen division. I bought a second after the change - just as nice.

The case as pictured is now known as the BA4400 - $50.

[​IMG]

While it has similar construction, they have replaced the zipper system with body color nylon instead of the former brass and now only has the BA (one year) warranty... BUT the price point is tremendous. Comes in ODG with leather at the tip... XL length will fit a 34" BT, consider it...

best regards,

Jay

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

We guys, thanks so much for the responses and the pros and cons....

The take down case does appear to allow oil and grease from the barrel lugs to transfer to the case lining. Also, if the case has a wool shearling lining, the wool can stick to the junction parts.

Somehow I do feel better about a longer single case. I went last evening to a local gun shop here in CT and saw the Boyt canvas and leather case which has the external pocket for the choke tubes.

It does appear to be very well made. I will get that one.

Again thanks for the information.

Art

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is a good choice. Personally, I would go with the long case. Just the taking down and reassembly causes wear and scratches on the mono-block. The two separate pieces also adds to the possiblility of dropping parts while assembling, Forend, Barrel, Stock. Also, if you care about looks of your gun, open the case completely, lay it on a flat surface, and set the gun on the case, pull the side over your gun and zip up the case. Saves the rib from getting worn edges from the zipper, and won't evetually wear the bluing from the tip of the barrel. Just a thought. I know I am a freak when it comes to condition of my possessions. Jon

12. build4u

build4u Member

Take a look at the Beretta High Performance case. I have about 7 Boyts total, take down and regular. I just Bought two of the Berettas for my Kids and really like all the extra padding,the lining, and the outside has extra thick nylon on the exterior at the reciever, muzzle, and stock. They go in upside down compared to the Boyt. It has a nylon zipper intead of brass which I am always careful not to scratch my guns with the metal zippers. The shoulder strap is on the side instead of the top and has a padded piece for the shoulder. The come 50 inch or the long one is 55 or 56, I forget. Around 90.00 retail, and I found them on ebay for like 56.00. The retriever line is almost exactly the same in green and tan with one less pocket on the outside. As you can probably tell I thought it was a heck of a case especially for the money.

13. butcher

butcher Member

I put mine in a gun sock then put it in a Beretta soft case.

14. RayReys

RayReys Member

+1 to grntitan and the Cabela's takedown bag suggestion -holds my 34" BT just fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 case

browning bt 99 soft case

bt 99 soft case

gun case for bt-99

sof gun case for bt 99