1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Snap Caps and Dry Firing ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pete1955, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete1955

pete1955 TS Member

I am fairly new to trap shooting only 3 months or so and wanted to start practicing at home dry firing some. I wanted to know if the spring loaded ones are better than the filled ones or does it matter? Can you wear out either? I need to buy a set and was looking at the different ones.

pete

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use snap caps to reduce shock loadings on the hammer axle pins that dry firing creates. I broke a pin once by dry firing and it cost me a receiver after the gunsmith discovered it.

I prefer hollow full-length spring loaded brass with adjustable spring pressure (these are 28 ga.):<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

The plastic spring loaded numbers crack and a hull with silicone sealer in the primer hole is like firing into a marshmallow.

MK

3. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

A while back, someone wrote about making their own snap caps. I haven't made any yet. If memory serves, they deprimed a hull, and filled it high quality silicon from an auto parts store. Be sure to mark the homemade snap cap so you don't pick up a live shell by mistake. Maybe someone will respond with more details.

Ted - Beavercreek, OH

4. Unknown1

I don't know where the idea came from but my experience is that silicone offers absolutely no resistance to a firing pin.

MK

5. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

I found the reference to snapcaps with silicone.

"I use snap caps that I make myself and they seem to work very well. I cut about 8 empty shells down so they are a 1/2 an inch or so shorter and look nothing like real shells. I take the primers out of these shells and fill the primer cup full of clear silicone caulking. Use a good quality clear silicone caulking like Permatex brand silicone usually found in little tubes in the auto section of stores like Wal-Mart."

Terry Jordon. Dry firing with his Wall Chart. I have no reason to think he's not being truthful. Based on recommendations from posts on TS.com, I just purchased his wall chart dry firing practice system, will use the snap caps he uses.

Ted - Beavercreek, OH

6. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Sometimes empty shells with silicone can be dangerous, you put a real shell in thinking its a snap cap. Buy the wool ones your gun will love you for it.

7. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I just purchased his wall chart dry firing practice system, will use the snap caps he uses."</I></blockquote>Your gun...your choice.

MK

8. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I always left the silicone sticking out about 1/8 th. of an inch on the snap caps I make and that compresses a lot as you close the gun making them more dense as the pin hits them. I don't think if the silicone was cut off flush with the brass it would give the pin enough resistance.

I don't use the same one for too long but I used those type of snap caps in my MX-3 for 25 years and I never broke a firing pin. I changed several pins as they get worn down a bit where the hammer hits them.

I was fed up with buying snap caps that got a big dent in them after a weeks use so I started making my own. I used motordoc's snap caps a lot too there are some other very good one available on this site that I would recommend.

I have shipped two out with every chart I sell as starter caps. I have had one customer out of 1500 with a cheap $400 Russian O/U tell me he broke a pin. If I had lots of customers telling me they broke pins I would not put them in with a chart or recommend them but I don't hear any complaints.

I used rubber pencil erasers too for awhile. I was never worried about breaking pins the results I got from dry firing was worth the risk of spending a few bucks to fix a pin.

Terry.

Slick Mick thanked this.
  9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I know that I will get some flack, but in the 20 years of owning Target Shotguns I might have used a snap cap a few dozen times and that was in the early years. I dry fire my gun every time its cocked from reassembly after cleaning, before putting it up after shooting, etc. I couldn't begin to estimate how many times I have dry fired without a snap cap but not once have I ever replaced a firing pin from lack of a snap cap. Snap caps may be useful on old guns, before modern metals were used but with a newer gun they dont serve much purpose. Thats just my experience, yours may be different.

10. Unknown1

It isn't the firing pin I'm trying to protect... it's the pin the hammer rides on that I worry about. It's held between 2 lugs in the receiver and it has 1/8" of threads on one end. The threads create a stress riser at the surface of one of the lugs and the pins can snap there leaving one end unsupported. Apparently it's not a common problem but having lost a whole receiver to it I take no chances any more.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.