1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which small SUV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by leftex, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Looking to get a small SUV . The wife's short list includes the Ford Escape, Chevrolet Equinox and Hyundai Santa Fe. Any thoughts as to which is a better deal?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My daughter just bought a Hundai Tucson. It is fully equiped, great warranty and easy to drive. I think Hundai is forward thinking and trying to make the business work. Priced right for fully equiped.
    JON

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I'll stay away from the likely ensuing discussion re: American made vs foreign made. My wife and I looked at Ford, Chevy, GM, Cadillac, and Buick before purchasing a Hyundai Vera Cruz last year. Perhaps bigger that what you are looking for - but extended warranty, workmanship, price, and features led me to select the Hyundai over the other manufacturers.

5. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Wayne, We have a 08 Ponitiac Torrent (orphan) which is same as equinox and we have towed for probably 25k miles and 55k miles on odometer. It is the v6 with auto trans that allows for flat towing. Mileage is okay, performance is great and only work done is replaced battery after 3 years. jim w

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Depends what 'small' means. I saw a Toyota Scion today - the one that seats 4. Has fold down rear seats and can store a lot of stuff - it's shaped like a box.

The guy I met said he had just driven from Wyoming and averaged over 30 miles per gallon and was towing his Harley too. For $18k, it seems a nice driver.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Several friends & coworkers rave about their Escapes.

-Gary

8. witdog2020

witdog2020 TS Member

Ive tested 4x4 SUVs for several years until a recent plant shutdown. Ive tested Cadillac to a Rexton (Korea) I worked R&D, We also tested our competitors Transfer Cases. We started leasing vehicles because some would not handle the testing we put them through. I have never tested an Equinox, some family friends have one......they wish they would have bought the AWD model. We made parts for the Santa Fe, in the 2004/2005 models we replaced a motor in each after 50k.....now granted this is not normal everyday driving, but we had many vehicles that did stand the test of time. To be honest the best SUVs I tested in the small was by far the 2006-up Ford Explorer with the V-8 4.6L.......It consistently got 23mpg on the hwy, and 20 during short tests, had plenty of power and was very quiet. I also tested the 4.0 V6 model, it was very noisy, couldnt get out of its own way. The Larger SUV models we tested were the Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, Hummer H1, and H2..... The H2 5cyl engine killed it, it was very noisy. The put 4/56 gearing just to get the RPM's up high enough to pass emissions. The H1 had a 6.0 motor plenty of power 13.5 mpg, weak front end parts for that size of tires. constantly re-aligning after a big bump. The Tahoe, Yukon were standouts, very good trucks, and ride......Sorry about the rant....Good Luck!

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Ford Escape..

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We chose the 2011 Honda CR-V with AWD. We liked the way it drives. It has real time AWD and a very smooth 5 speed transmission. The 4 cylinder engine is made in the USA but the 5 speed automatic transmission is made in Japan. It averages 24 mpg and will do 28 to 30 mpg on a trip. It has electric power assisted rack and pinion steering.

We liked the Ford Escape but it had a terrible ride.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Very happy with my 09 4x4 (all wheel drive) Ford Escape.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

equinox all wheel drive. love it. 24 miles per gallon--all around driving and about 27 on the highway. ride fantastic and no service in 18000 miles. towable 4 down if you like. I have the 4 cylinder and went from an ss trailblazer to this. Yes a bit underpowered in small areas but overall i would get anotherone.. motordoc

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

DODGE JOURNEY WITH THE 3.6 PENTASTAR. MADE WARDS 10 BEST ENGINES LIST

15. Borg

Borg Member

Wait to see the 2013 Ford Escape. We are waiting to test drive it before we bite the bullet. There really is not a bad one in the bunch that you have mentioned. Things are changing fast in this market. 2013 Escape will be the latest. Might as well have a look before you leap.
    Peter

16. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Wifes 07 CRV has been outstanding, terrific on snow and ice, 30mpg on the road, fairly quiet. She would buy another one.

17. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

My Better Half is really happy with her AWD GMC Terrain. Bill Malcolm

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Leftex, My wife just went through the same delemma and ended up with a Kia Sportage. Lots of bang and great warrantee for the buck. She got the 2 liter turbo and it goes like a bat out of hell! Sure wouldn't say it is the best, it is a very competitive market. Let her get what she wants and everyone will be happy! Mike

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I hate to say it but the Toyota RAV.

20. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

We had really good luck with our 07 Hyundai Santa Fe. It rode well, had very good power (we had the larger v6), and was very comfortable and reliable. I needed a pick up is the only reason we do not still have the Hyundai. We had the Hyundai for 3 1/2 years. I would buy another one.

Tom Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

price for fully equiped hundai tucson