1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Silicone for Add-On Ribs???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've read that silicone is used to attach add-on ribs to existing ribs. I'm toying around with a home-made rib that I want to add-on to my existing rib but want to be able to remove it later without damage to the existing rib. So what kind of silicone should I use and where do I get it?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Keen Sights sends a sealant used on RV's. When I was fooling with wooden temporary ribs I used black electrical tape. On and off easy with nothing to clean up. Then I gave my measurements to Vicki at Keen and they give you a nice finished product. Good luck, Bob

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Use Goop

Don Verna

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have installed many add-on ribs. BY FAR the best thing to use is 3M double sided molding tape you get at the auto parts store. It must be the kind with the "RED" backing on it. Your rib will stay on...it is easy to remove if you want...and it does not make a mess like silicone base products do. Oh, and you can use you gun instantly after you use the tape.

Mark

5. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I've used RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) silicone with much success. Holds very well, does not damage rib or attachment, does not set up immediately which allows some time for you to move things to get the exact alignment, removes easily and cleanly, and does not break the bank when purchasing. I've had it holding a balsa rib to my Perazzi for three or more years now. I've bought it at hardware and auto parts stores. Comes in a tube and is useful for many other things. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Go to an auto body repair store & ask for double sided auto body molding tape.
    Get the width you need & use pieces of that spaced along the rib. Clean with lacquer thinner or denatured alchohol. I use it to stick on recoil pads. This stuff is very tough so use only the minimal length you need. It will be very hard to pull the rib off so carefully cut partially thru with a new single edge razor blade or Stanley knife. Again,lacquer thinner is the best for clean up & won't harm a metal finish. I have done this for decades & it always worked well.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Included with my Keensights rib was black Permatex silicone adhesive sealant. Apply a bead of silicone the lenght of the rib and press the new rib on. Start at one end and press every inch or so the whole length to squeeze out the excess. No need for clamps. It will never fall off. Keensights.com shows how it's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.