1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Shotgun for Raffle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

The club that I belong to is purchasing raffle items for the annual gun show. One of these will be a shotgun in the less than $1000 price range. I'd like to hear some ideas on what would be the most desirable shotgun for this purpose.

Thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A good all purpose gun like the Remington 870 is always good. Get the field model. We have raffled off several over the years. We always offer a cash prize offer to the winner as well just in case they don't want the gun. Just my 2 cents

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

WE never raffled anything off but the BT 99 would probably be the gun choice of our club .

4. DBSkeet

DBSkeet Member

If you are in an area that has a lot of deer hunting and is shotgun only a 20 gauge semi auto with a slug barrel would be desirable. Otherwise maybe an 11-87 sportsman in 20 or 12 gauge.

5. wlc

wlc Member

The club has trap, skeet, and 5 stand. One of each. Most of the shotgun shooters do not shoot competitively. Probably a field gun would have more general appeal. I haven't been active in that market for a long time and things have changed a lot. 30 years ago I would have picked an 870 or 1100. The new express versions look pretty cheap though. Is the Wingmaster pretty much the same as it has always been? I thought about a Beretta auto also, there are a lot of variations of them also.

Thanks for the suggestions

6. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I would look at a combo model. Remingto 870 with field barrel and slug or a Mossberg 500 or 930 combo field/ slug.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Remington Combo.....or if they had a bit more money(?), how about the Winchester Sx-3??

8. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I think a Beretta auto would be ideal.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

No Expresses, Mossbergs, Novas. Get a nice gun and raffle it off. Be prepared to raffle off a second nice gun. Experience!

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I saw a raffle for a very nice Ithaca M37 Featherlight pump gun. This one happened to be a 20ga with custom lettering for the organization.

-Gary

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As a club which offers multiple clay disciplines, I would suggest offering a "sporting" gun... hybrid rib/stock for hunting and clays and can be used by all disciplines recreationally...

In that price range a semi-auto will dictate...

As our club is only trap - our top prize is always a trap gun OR we offer a merchandise gift certificate and/or a cash alternative (both subsequently lower $$)

Our second prize might be a trap pump or other firearm with a our 3rd/4th prizes cash only...

My $0.02,

Jay

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Dave P has it right... get a nice gun... or a set like a shotgun and pistol Etc when they win they win both... but you have to stress that they win both. Not just a choice of one or the other.. Easy to sell tickets. Also we only had a limited number to sell so they could tell the odds of winning...and tell what our income would be.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

870...wingmaster or combo or 1100. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.