1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which shoot will be bigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ok boys and girls....I for one am tired of the pro trapshooter's & the 2 & 3 hole stuff (as we all know the EC won't do anything), so let's move to something that is on alot of shooter's minds and which will garner alot of attention in the upcoming days......

Which upcoming scheduled shoot will have the greater attendence: The Grand or the Cardinal Classic?

Curt
    [​IMG]

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

I for one am tired of this type of thread. What good does this do for our sport

J. Park

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

How about a day by day comparison of temperature / humidity rates ( felt temperature) between Columbus and Sparta?

JT

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

A 5 day tournament versus a 12 day tournament? Are you wanting to compare the busiest day or what? How about the day with the most out of state shooters? Or totals, minus Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania? Or the day with the most shooters over 200 pounds? I'm sure there's some criteria that would make this thread fun. I love looking at data.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The Grand will still be bigger, at least for this year. The $100K is going to be a nice draw for some but not realistic for the average shooter to even think about winning it. Sure, every dog has his day and maybe yours is that day but the odds are certainly not in your favor. And........... All those 5 year camping leases leases are up this year. I know of three folks personally that were forced to enter into those lease agreements in order to get a spot that that they no longer want to use. Kind of like going to a restaurant you've never eaten at before and having to pay for 5 meals before you've tried the food. What if you don't like it?? Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what happens next year. Human nature makes us want to get get our monies worth so people are getting what they paid for and once those leases are up, and a bunch of folks don't renew, along with some of the vendors, (and a lot won't) The Classic is going to be the hot summer ticket and people are going to tell Sparta to......

Jeff
    [​IMG]

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Grand in Sparta has been on the decline and many blame the economy for this yet the shoots at Cardinal Center get bigger all the time so the people who shoot there obviously don't know or have never been told about the recession ... Sparta will continue on a downword spiral and Cardinal will continue to grow, thats just the way it is, get used to it ...

Build it and they will come, Yeah right ... Thats been proven to be a false statement ... It just wasn't mean't to be, in Sparta ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

FWIW, It'll be cool, 60's with low humidity at the Alaska SS today ;>)

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the ATA was a business and depended on it showing or making a profit rather than being supported by the membership and all of the little shoots across the country it would of been belly up a long time ago ... If it was not for the daily fees being paid by the members the EC would not have anything to watch over and the ATA would dry up and blow away, but they don't believe that ...
    Cardinal Center is obviously being operated as a business, making a profit and in doing so providing for its customers which make everyone happy and it shows ... I'm not convinced the $100,000 shoot out will be as much of a draw as a lot of people might think it will be because most people are more realitic and know the odds of winning when under the pressure that there will be increases ten fold ... There is little doubt that new business's take time to develope and mature which is something the ATA and Grand American has not done in Sparta, Illinois much like the city of Sparta itself based on the State of Ilinois records ... If the EC truly had to answer to the membership and be held responsible, they would all be gone a long time ago for lacking performance ... It is what it is, that just the way it is ...

What was once the Grand American is now nothing but the Grand by name only and not a close second to what it once was ... Check the numbers and see for yourself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

missed some,

Nothing to do with the time of the year, keep doing the same thing over and over and you can pretty much expect the same results ... Sparta has never been what it was supposed to be or presented to be, nothing can change that except change ... The city of Sparta has changed very little since the last time I was there with the exception of the WSRC from what I have been told and to be honest I don't care enough to come and find out for myself ... I find that Sparta has a lot in common with my Ex wife, I don't care to waste my time to see either of them again though it was good while it lasted ... The Grand American is only a name and could be attached to any shoot, any place, at any time if thats what they wanted to do with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

WPT I agree.

The EC and directors were only active to get IN OFFICE and then became the GOOD OLE BOY. Just like some politicians. Buttering their own bread.

Instead of feeding the multitudes of shooters that elected them.

We need to step back in time with the RULE BOOK OF OLD.

The early Grand Slams were EARNED not gimmes like the 2 hole target of taday w shells going 1250+fps.

I have stated before about the distinction of the EARLY GRAND SLAMS BEING PLATINUM, the new slams are Bronze Slams as far as I am concerned.

It was an accomplishment but with a lot lesser degree of difficulty.

The numbers of Grand Slams is PROOF IN THE PUDDING since 1982.

The Cardinal Classic will still be growing when they shut down the WSRC.

The Cardinal Center will keep a light ON for you.

We need an applicable day for comparasion purposes. You cannot possibly compare a 5 day shoot to a 12 day shoot.

It took somebody beside the EC to offer a $100,000.00 dollar payout.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread but here I go. WPT earned a good living in Illinois and keeps knocking it. I know he doesn't like the politics, but there are a lot of good people there that don't like them either. I have shot in several states, not as many as a lot of people but gun laws are bad in a lot of places. You take Chicago out of the picture and Illinois isn't that bad.

I shot in Illinois a lot and have seen people like Brad Dysinger and several others shoot here and not think it was that bad at that time. The only reason I put Brads name there is because a lot of people here can relate to him. I highly respect him and his accomplishments. I have shot with him a couple of times in Illinois a long time ago. We shot together at Mathers club in Springfield for a fall silver dollar shoot and then went to a car shoot at a town I think was Mowieka. The car part didn't pan out but we had fun shooting for a fairly nice purse that I think he won part of. Things have not changed that much since then. They now have something against Illinois and say they will never shoot there again.

The good people of southern Illinois went to Ohio while the grand was still there to see how it was run and were treated like second class citizens. They would never treat anyone from ohio like that. They were just trying to make the southern half of the state better. It was not their fault that the airport was kicking the ATA out.

I have not been to the Cardinal center but would not say I would never go. I am sure it is one of the premier places to shoot in the country. There is probably lot of rooom for improvement in both places, and hope both can prosper.

I hope to soon be back to shooting and will try to shoot the Cardinal Center and hope I would be treated with the respect that I would want for all shooters shooting at the grand at Sparta.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gary,

The only way anyone can justify their cause is to compare a 5 day shoot to a 12 day shoot or the offset would be overwhelming and have to spark some new thoughts by reasonable people with a little bit of logic applied ... The numbers do not lie when its all said and done ...

I like your idea about the Grand Slams being qualified under the old and new rules accordingly, it will never effect me anyway because I only shoot handicap ...

I fully intend to make it to Cardinal Center one of these days, but have no desire to see the falling of the empire what was once the Grand American in Sparta,Illinois ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Trapshooter1,

I have many friends as well as family in the State of Illinois, I happen to love all of them and many other people from Illinois ... I detest the Politics of the State for good reason and never debated that Illinois was a good place to make a living ... I also have shot all over the State and had a provebial ball in doing so as well as met a multitude of great people from all over the State of Illinois ... You still have to call a spade a spade when all is said and done ... There are many things that I personally miss about being in Illinois but not enough to want to move back there, so I deal with it ... There are times I don't know what I am thinking so it would be impossible for you to know until I type it and you can read it but do not read into it please ... I feel what I say and say what I feel, I am consistant with what I say and feel unless given a reason to change it ... I have always said, "don't ask me if you don't want to know, because I will tell you" which some people appreciate and probably as many might not ... Your paint brush is to cover the State of Illinois, mine is aimed at Sparta, Illinois for the sake of this discussion ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I didn't read anything into what you said. All I said was you made a good living there, and that you despised the politics. You have put that information on here a lot. I apoligize for anything else that you took out of it. I just can't understand how you can keep knocking the Grand being held there when you have not been there during the Grand. You are entitled to your opnion as I am mine. I feel if I am going to knock something, I need to first go there and see for myself. I never take what someone else has said about anything. I have been to the grand at Sparta. It may very well die, but the facality is a good place for a lot of shooting sports. They built it and I for one hope they will come.

Dan Woods

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Same old Bullshit just a different day.

Don

16. shootman

shootman TS Member

I have been to every shoot since the cardinal center openedand the two things I have noticed is the people at the card. center ALL go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable, and the osta runs a very organized shoot. They make it a pleasure to shoot there. The vendors are more and more each year, and the biggest thing is they located it closer to the bulk of the shooters . I am a retired construction worker. I live on a pension and social security so I am going where my money gets me the most and I have a good time. Seems to me that location and convenience is a lot of the problem with the grand. I have not made it there yet but hope to when I can afford it. Seems to me the ATA should start listening to the majority of their members and not so much to the directers . BOB

17. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Does anyone know just where the center of where the majority of registered shooters would be. Would it be in Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, or even Pensylvania or somewhere else? I really dont know. There are a lot of shooters in California, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, and Nevada. Just where would the center be.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It doesn't make any difference which is bigger as long as the numbers are skewed by how the two shoots are scheduled. The ATA wins, Cardinal wins and so does the rest of the registered shooters in North America.

Good luck to all..............and above all be safe and have fun.

19. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

or "even Pennsylvania ?"...PA is probably one of the biggest shooting states there is. They know how to do it, and they do it well! puablo/Jeff Philipbar

20. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Read the post Jeff, the whole post: I know Pensylvania has big shoots. Is it the center of the majority of registered shooters though. I was asking where the center of the majority of registered shooters would be. Do we count PITA shooters as registered shooters? They would take their adverage if someone had only shot PITA targets and then wanted to shoot ATA. A lot of western shooters shoot both and enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.