1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Remington 1187/1100 Parts Interchange

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rclick, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rclick

rclick TS Member

I just purchased an 1187 Premier Trap. I was wondering which parts from my 1100 will interchange. Are the triggers the same. Will they take the tTimnet triggers? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks-Rob

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Triggers are exactly the same....Timneys will fit. The only difference in the whole receiver group is the width of the extractor in the bolt...the 1187 one is wider. Remington doesn't stock 1100 bolts anymore.....just 1187 ones. No big deal; if the extractor slot in your 1100 barrel is too narrow for the wider one, just file out the slot to fit....it's just a clearance slot anyway.

Ken

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Very late model 1100's are basically 1187's without a compensating gas system.

4. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

I'd like to hear what is so special about old 1100's. What is bad about a stainless steel magazine? Do the new wide extractors break easier? How is a compensating barrel bad?
    Not trying to be a smartass, I shoot both. The mag tube on the ancient 1100 is getting pretty pitted but still shoots (a wet hunter). The 1187 shoots 1oz to 2oz. I think bad examples of each exist, either can be great guns, 1187's more flexible.

5. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

comments?

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Actually, Duck, IMO there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the two. Except for a couple of very minor differences they are one and the same.

Ken Rucker

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It has been said (but not proven as far as I can tell) that the blued carbon steel mag tubes of the 1100 are less "brittle" than the stainless mag tubes on the 1187.<br>
    <br>
    What this basically claims (and I emphasize "claims") is that on a high volume target shotgun, the blued carbon steel mag tube will not be as apt to break at its junction with the receiver. You'd have to have bonafide accounts of 1187's that have actually fired as many rounds as those 1100's that have broken their mag tubes.<br>
    <br>
    I do know that the stainless mag tubes are less prone to corrosion. I don't see a lot of difference in actual cleanup, but the stainless mag tubes are at least a heckuva lot easier to see fouling on.<br>
    <br>
    For me, it makes no practical difference, but I prefer a stainless mag tube anyway.<br>
    <br>
    1100's will shoot the same loads as an 1187. It's just that the 1100's need a barrel swap to do it (and this assumes they are a 3" magnum receiver in the first place).<br>
    <br>
    Note, though, that some 1187's are set up specifically for very light loads (target guns), and some for very heavy *sustained* loads (turkey and slug/buckshot guns). These barrels do not have the pressure compensating systems. They are closer to an 1100 in operation.<br>
    <br>
    I think the 1187 is more versatile for all around use than the 1100, because for all around general use, like hunting and sporting clays and skeet, you can shoot light to heavy loads in it without the need to switch barrels. Extra barrels cost money. (The stock is another issue, but one with an adjustable comb would make it suitable for a variety of uses.)<br>
    <br>
    If you are talking about a shotgun dedicated to one special purpose, then it doesn't matter. Like a dedicated trap gun. Or a dedicated defense gun. Or a dedicated turkey gun.<br>
    <br>
    The biggest difference is that early guns, be they 1100's or 1187's, are machined and finished better than late guns. The blueing is deeper and more scratch and abrasion resistent on the early guns. (That's a moot point with the camo'd models.) Even the early Special Purpose 1100 and 1187 guns had chrome lined bores, an option that's gone now, since the forcing cones are so rough they cannot effectively be chromed.<br>
    <br>
    The main difference now is that the 1100's are the target shotguns. There are no 1187 target shotguns anymore. In fact, there is only the (relatively) inexpensive Sportsman line of 3" 1187's, and all the camo'd and turkey models have been taken over by the 3-1/2" 1187 Super Mags.<br>
    <br>
    Speaking of which, the 1187 Super Mag would NOT be a good choice as an all around shotgun for purposes OTHER than hunting. They have difficulty cycling target ammunition. In this respect, for a new gun that would cycle lighter loads, you'd be better off with an 1187 Sportsman, a used 1187 3", or an 1100.<br>
    <br>

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

In Jerry Kuhnhausen's book The Remington M870 and M1100/M11-87 Shotguns on page 97 there is a section that shows mechanical differences and parts retrofit between 1100 and 11-87 models. Sorry I do not have the ability to download it here. If you are a Remington owner its a great book to have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 interchange

difference between remington 1100 and 1187

interchangability of barrels between a remington 1100 and an 1187

is 1187 as good as 1100

is extractor parts for 870 and 1187 interchangeable

remington 1100 supermag trap

remington 1100 to 1187 interchange

what parts interchange remington 1100 and 1187