1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Rem 870 TB or TC?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WindyOneNW, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I am wanting to buy an older Remington 870 trap gun. My question is which model should I be looking for if I wanted to find one of the rarer ones that Remington put so much time in to the barrels? I cannot remember what model and what range of years and serial numbers got those special barrels. Thanks for any info.

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

You do not see many Rem. TC's, Better look for 870 D , 870 F or just an 870 All American. Going back to the 50's & 60's.
    Today at a Trap Shoot you donot even see an 870 on the line.
    Fred Etchen stock or an Anton Stock ,Those were the days.
    Remember when they stood in line at the Grand American(Vandalia) to have those Anton Stocks installed. Mainly 870's,1100, & M 12

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

I have a TC. Shoots great, just a thumper. Is there some rarity to a TC?

4. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

How about a TA?
    They are mentioned in the catalogs, but I haven't seen one yet.

5. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The 870 Competition has one of the best barrels ever made by Remington, big bores of about .738-.742 and constrictions of about .038, made in about 1980-1986, single shot with recoil device in the mag tube. Very soft shooters with phenomenal patterns. Bob

6. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Bob- You may have described what I am after. There are a few 870 guys on here from time to time that will hopefully chime in.

7. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Like Joe said "look for 870 D , 870 F or just an 870 All American". They are HARD to find. A 870 F Grade could set you back close to $5,000. A 870 D may be a little cheaper at $3,500. An All American in nice shape is going to be around $1,000

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Here in the lower 48 it shouldn't be all that hard to find a good used 870 TB,
    as There have been several for sale on this site from time to time.

ed

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

WindyOneNW:
    I was an 870 collector for a good # of years. In fact I still shoot a TB. I will give you some info, if you need more just PM me. Something you may or might not know about the old 870's. The nicer the wood, the smaller the pistol grip. The 870 TA, is not marked TA on the receiver, the TB says TB, and the TC says TC. The nicest wood was from the 60's with an orange tint, called "Old orange crate wood".

The barrels from the 50's and 60's have a solid rib in the beginning section of the barrel. These barrels the choke was hand honed, and the choke was longer. These barrels shoot slightly higher then the newer barrels.

I presently have three 870's that I am saving until my grandchildren are old enough to shoot. One is a TC from 1964 with beautiful wood with a few rounds shot through it. Another is a D grade with the box with beautiful wood, and the other a 870 all American grade that is new in the box never assembled that I purchased from hall of fame shooter Ruby Jenner from Wisconsin. She won this gun and never shot it.

Some of the best barrels they ever made that are worth some money are barrels marked Modified Trap, Improved mod trap, which I have only seen one of, and ljuticsscentennialpro is correct about the TC barrels made from 1980 to 1986. You want the early barrels without choke tubes. These are smoke poles, in fact I just purchased one of these barrels that I gave my nephew that I wrote about on another thread. I have owned every trap model except the F grade.

PM me if you have any other questions.
    Steve Balistreri

10. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Thanks Steve-

I remember reading that other thread about the barrel you gave away.

11. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

Hello Guys,
    I posted on the "Everything Remington" thread several weeks ago listing an 870TD that I have for sale. The gun was built in 1950 according to the barrel code. There is only normal(minor)wear on the gun considering it is 60 years old, but it will not cost you $3500.00! It has very nice wood, the "D" grade engraving on the receiver and barrel which have the same serial number, an "untouched" 30" vent rib barrel choked full, and the original "Vari-Weight" magazine plug.. I have not shot this gun in nearly 10 years, so it is a "closet queen", which is a shame. It comes with a newer edition Remington hard case. The only non-factory features are the jewelled bolt and shell lifter, and a new recoil pad. Not perfect, but really nice and smokes targets! Pictures available. $1200.00 shipped.
    Regards, Jim B.

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jim:
    Sounds like a real nice gun.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington vari weight

remington vari-weight plug system

wanttobuyremington 870tctrap