1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Reloaders Seat Primers in GCs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Which reloaders will reliably seat non-Remington (e.g. Cheddite) primers in once-shot Gun Club hulls? I presume these reloaders support the hull from inside the hull when inserting the primer?

WNCRob

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

My 9000 and Mec JR both work well with all primers in GC hulls.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I put Fiocchi primers into GunClubs with My PW375 and PW900 reloaders. It takes a strong push the first time, but they seat flush. I have loaded thousands of them without any issues. Mark

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My Pacific (Hornady) supports the entire base with a seating ram inside which pushes down on the base wad to seat the primer. I load GCs & STSs and have tried --chedites--noble sport--etc. without any issues. Ross Puls

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Stop and think about your question. How do you think the hull is pushed onto the primer with most loaders. Unless you have one where the hull is in a collett while be loaded then the collett supports the hull.

Don

6. paul7177

paul7177 Member

My Ponsness Warren Patriot and Hornady 366 do so with no problems.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

As does my Spoler.

--- Chip King ---

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Why do some reloaders handle these reliably well, and some, esp. the PW 800, won't? Again, I'm referring to the 1st time reloading a GC hull...I have no issues (usually) with subsequent reloads after the primer pocket has been stretched.

WNCRob

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

My PW 800 plus will not load GC's very reliably.

jmac

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A properly set up PW will stuff them into once fired Remington hulls very nicely.

I have a 800C and a 900 ... no problems using either one on once fired Rems!

11. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

My Dillon SL-900 will seat Winchester 209's into once fired Gun Clubs with a stiff push. After that it's a cakewalk. Never tried Cheddites.

Pat

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

WNCRob , My PW Platinum will NOT seat non-Rem primers flush 100% of the time. At least 10% will not be seated flush. There is nothing that can be adjusted to overcome this problem. No others PW will be any different. Nor will a Spolar. A press will have to exert pressure from both sides to squeeze the primer past the plastic at the top of a Remington primer pocket. People who have no trouble are floating in the river denial. This problem has been discussed many times here with users of all presses reporting the same problem. It is impossible to adjust for this. I can only move the handle so much and it bottoms out. If one tries to adjust for a deeper primer set then the normal hulls will be distorted or the primers too deep. I have pressed some Gun Club hull bases so hard they became very distorted and the primer still not seated.

I stopped using Rem hulls years ago because of this but i did recently load 200 STS hulls and had no problem with NS.

13. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I think Johnny has it right!

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Hornady 366 will do a good job. The deprime/resize station is a PITA to use. Get a MEC Sizemaster and use it to deprime and size your steel headed hulls first then load them on the Hornady 366. That way your reloads will be sized to work in any gun just like a new shell.

The P/W loaders support the shell on the rim when the primer is seated. If the primer requires too much force to seat the head of the shell will be caved in because of the lack of support on the inside during primer seating. The steel headed hulls will be hard to insert and remove from the the shell holder unless you size the shell head first with a collet type sizer.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

15. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Jim, what is a PIA?...the PW or the Hornady 366?...very aware of the PW issues. Not too keen on the extra work/time to run all hulls through the Sizemaster, so looking for a machine that is a quality unit and will reliably seat non-Rem primers in GC's. So MEC and 366?
    Thanks.

WNCRob

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Stop and think about your question. How do you think the hull is pushed onto the primer with most loaders. Unless you have one where the hull is in a collett while be loaded then the collett supports the hull."</I></blockquote>Stop and think about your answer. Loaders like the MEC that support the primer pocket from inside with a powder drop tube against the base wad at the primer tunnel do a much better job. A PW supports the hull base only by the sizing die against the outer flange and leaves the center of the base (and the primer tunnel) completely unsupported to deflect upward when the primer is trying to be inserted. A little plastic Lee Load-All will fully seat Rio primers in once-fired Gun Club hulls because of the powder drop tube while my PWs won't come close to doing it.

Keller

17. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Mec 9000H, 650 and 600 do just fine... Larry

18. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

WINCRob, The depriming/sizeing station on the Hornady 366 is a PITA. You have to move the deprimed hull onto the carousel and then place a new hull on the deprime station.

Jim Skeel

19. revbook

revbook Member

No problem with my MEC Grabber.

Don in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.