1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH RELOADER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baber, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have had it with MEC and looking for a change. I am loading a 7/8 oz load that uses a tall wad. Specifically the B&P T2. Have had a lot of Wad guide issues with the 9000H and want something different.

Here are some options...

Dillon--- Although one very knowledgeable friend says its a POS.

RCBS- Grand

PW although another very knowledgeable friend gave up on his 800B because of timing issues. This is the only Company that has a local dealer. If it screws up I can at least throw it into the windshield of his truck.

Spolar however they exorbitant price seems to kill this deal.

Hornady 366 an unknown contender

Anything else out there to be evaluated?

Tom

2. shollz

shollz TS Member

I really like my Dillon SL-900. Have had it for 8 years now. But it loads solely AA hulls 1 1/8 oz. Same components over and over. I am getting ready to try some 1oz and 7/8 oz loads as soon as I buy supplies this weekend.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shollz:

Would be interested how your machine handles that Tall 7/8 Oz wads.

Tom

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

You can't really look for someone to tell you what to get...Everybody seems to think that the reloader they use is the best one out there. I do like my PW 800B, and have only had one problem with it, which was the wad not lining up correctly with the hull and catching as it's pushed down, thus ruining the hull and wad. I was told the problem was simply a wear issue because of the age of the loader. We fixed that problem and it has been smooth sailing since. If you bought a brand new PW 800+, I doubt you would have many problems with it, you can't really compare a new 800+ to a 20 year old 800B. I switched from a MEC to this PW and would never go back to using one, the PW is much higher quality and just has a smoother, better feel to its operation than the MEC loaders do. I've heard people have really good luck with the RCBS, the Dillon and the Hornady. But, I don't have personal experience with them, so I can't speak for them. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Tom,

I use a RCBS Grand to reload my bunker shells. I'm loading mostly STS/Gun Club hulls and do a run of AA's now and then. Another local also use a RCBS Grand for his bunker shells and couldn't be happier with the performance of the press and the shells.

Call Kent Sakamoto at RCBS and ask his advice on your wad - I cannot see why it would be an issue with the RCBS - you can make micro adjustments very easily at every station to get perfect hulls every time.

Best
    Jim

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You'll be many dollars and cents ahead with a 366. Once the learning curve is over, it's a breeze to load 400 shells per hour.

Curt

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

One thing that I want to make sure of is that it will load what I am using. I have reloaded the Cheddite type hulls for years. Once or twice then chuck them. They are so plentiful. Specifically I load a Noble Sport primer with either the B&P T2 or the Noble Sport NSGT24 Wad or more recently the Helacrous VP05. These are all tall wads that they MEC does not handle well. This hull is also a 3 piece design and I want to make sure that its properly supported in the re-priming process so the base wad does not separate.

Anybody doing something similar?

Tom

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Had a Dillon and for the most part was good but I was having trouble with different powder drops at times and about every 50-100 shells had a f up crimp. It had some other quirks I didn't like so I sold it. You cant beat there customer service though.
    I purchased a P/W 800+ fully loaded from Whiz White and have never looked back. Powder and shot drops are always good and so are the crimps. I cant tell you what you will like but I will tell you that I am a P/W fan all the way. Fabulous looking reloads always.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have not had anything but mecs. I have perchased and rehabed many. I have 4 now with 4 different loads. I have had to tinker and adjust to get good crimps with the different componants.

All loaders have a learning curve, the wad guide clearence issue on the Mecs has me a bit confused. I ground down the side/top of wad guide to over come this. Why this is even a problem is beyound me

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Save yourself some money and buy a PW off of EBAY!! If you have any problem's with it simply post them on this site or give whiz a call and your problems are over! Your freind sounds like he or she may have had a LACK of knowledge on how to set the timing on the PW!I load 7/8 oz all the time with mine! Regards PJ

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- You mentioned that you have a local PW dealer. I would visit him. PW makes a fine machine and having a local dealer would be a major plus for me.

Pat Ireland

12. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I have a P&W 800+ and load the T2 into STS's. It works like a charm.

Tony

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I loaded for years on a 366. It is basically a good machine. The spring loaded primer seating option is a must have. The shot and powder shut offs are a definite do not buy. They shave lead and powder even when open.

When I decided to buy another loader I actually tried reloading on two of the PWs, and the Spolar. I was also considering the RCBS Grand. As a former tool and die maker, I appreciate good machining. The Spolar certainly has that. However, it just doesn't make a better shell than any of the others. Plus there are the primer feed issues, and the fact that you are on the hook for all repairs.

I just didn't like the PWs. Not the design, nor the operation. I chose the Grand.

I had an early production model and it had some problems with wad guides and primer dispensing tips. They have been solved. During the way, RCBS insisted on sending me updated parts, even though I told them I wasn't having the problem they were supposed to solve. They said, "take them anyway".

The design of the Grand is very forgiving. There is a learning curve. The Grand comes set up to load Federal components. After a bit of experimenting (OK, a little more than a bit), I arrived at adjustments that would load everything I used without further adjustment.

I've never used the hull you are loading, but it is probably similar to the 7mm basewad Fiocchi hulls I used to use by the thousand. My "standard" adjustment loaded the Rex, Spark and Lightning wads perfectly. If you use the Rex, order the 20 ga. wad ram, just in case. The bevel around the inside of the shot cup just matches the diameter of the 12 ga ram and a suction is formed. This sometimes lifts the wad partially out of the case. If you are using the Lightning, I'd ask for the special short powder drop tube (free). That wad does not like to be compressed much when charging with shot.

I like the Grand. I currently load bunker loads using Gold Medal hulls, Fed 209A primers and a 12S0 wad. For 7/8oz loads I use Gun Club hulls and either DRM pink XXL or 12S0 wads and STS209 primers. For 1oz loads I use STS hulls with W209 or STS209 primers and TGT-12 wads. Same for 1 1/8oz except for Fig-8 or Windjammer wads. All of the recipes are loaded without requiring ANY adjustment other than inserting the correct powder and shot bushings.

I have two friends with Dillon SL-900s and the optional case feeder. I loads way fast. However, both tell me it needs constant attention and fiddling. If I only loaded one recipe, maybe. Since I load more, I'm sticking with the Grand. Good luck with your choice.

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

If your 9000 won't load a particular wad to your satisfaction, you don't know how to adjust it; or its the wrong wad for that hull. Simple as that.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

This will solve your tall-wad problems on any MEC reloader. Courtesy of Curly No-Hair of the SGW Reloading Board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I load mostly Bunker loads with long wads, and relieving the wad guide was the trick for me, as another loader has mentioned.

I also load Eurotrash hulls almost exclusively, as they are so plentiful. I get great performance from them with Solo 1000 and most any primer, Cheddite, Nobel, or my favorite, the Rio.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

ABH, Let me see if I have this right.

You have two Grands,neither of which will feed Wolf primers, but..........You say your Mec reloaders are GARBAGE?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............I must admit, something does smell here.

Hauxfan!

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tom.. I think we load the same shells.. My 800+ has been flawless..

19. furface

furface Member

I love my Dillon. it loads everything, my friends Spolar won't take certain wads. After owning several types the Dillon is the only option in my opinion.
    good luck, Joe

20. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have a P.W. with the electric assist. Because there is no feel, it really punishes the machine. This brings to light the cost cutting P.W. has done in the past little while. The wheel that holds the shell holders has cracked (replaced very quickly by P.W.) as it is made of plastic, the primer feeder piston bent (made of a lead iron alloy and is very soft) not replaced by P.W. and the cross head is almost unusable as any spent primer that fails to drop (and many do) get stuck between the primer feeded and the cross head, cracking off a piece of the cross head. When enough pieces are broken off, I'll have to replace the cross head (not guaranteed and very expensive.)P.W. should design a replaceable collar at that point. These are problems that hand loading reduces in frequency but does not eliminate. I am sorry to say that the construction of the machine has me looking to others when my shoulder heals and I can pull a handle. I have had four P.W.'s but I think this will be my last. Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.