1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Reloader?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joey S., Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Which reloader would you consider to be the fastest, most efficient, safest
    and most reliable? What excessories, if any, would you get for it? How long
    does it take to safely load 100 shells?
    Thanks, Joe S.

2. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I have a PW size-o-matic 800 with no accesories I can load 100 in ten minutes pretty easy. If you are really going maybe 6 or 7.

Very safe since the powder does not drop in the same stage as the primer seating.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The one that fits your particular need and pocket book the most. Mec is the low price leader, and makes a fine unit. I use a P/W 800+ with the shell feeder, oversized punch, shell counter, Spolar hydraulic unit. I load for joy of the hobby and custom loads that fit my shooting needs. A Spolar reloader is a work of art, and rarely hear of any issues with them. At around $1500 you would expect that, and they deliver.

My suggestion is look them all over, find a buddy that will let you check it out personally, and load for enjoyment and forget the speed. Trying to go at a break neck speed I believe will just lead to frustration with the finished product.

4. sicsemper

sicsemper TS Member

Another vote for the Ponsness Warren 800+! I just upgraded to it from a MEC 9000 a couple months ago and could not be happier with it. Much more consistent loads, better crimps, cranks out just as fast as I did with the MEC Hydraulic unit. Worth every penny!

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

800+ with a shell feeder is very fast. Two flats an hour with no heroics. 700 shells per hour if you want to work at it.

I also have the Spolar with hydraulic - not as fast with it.

Mec's do not like me. I gave up on a 9000G

SL900 is not as fast as the 800+ and the hull feeder capacity is ridiculously low. Crimps are not as good as I get with the PW or Spolar.

Don

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

A P/W will load a shell in 2-3 seconds.

It is slower with the hydro because the hydro's speed is slower, probably for safety's sake. If you get the hydro or electric drive and the hull feeder you also need a wall-mount for your TV. Lots of time to think - ha!

The electric drive may be a bit faster. I have one here in the box that I've not installed yet.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

7. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Is there a large increase in speed with the hull feeder? I assume that hulls
    get oriented one way when placing them in the hopper, you can't just dump them in - correct?

8. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I HAVE USED A p-w 800B SINCE 1971 , I bought it used in 1971 for $150.00 Last year I switched to a P-W 2000 and like it even better than the old 800-B

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have sold and serviced most brands of shotshell presses. I prefer the MEC 9000GN. I routinely load a flat in slightly over 20 minutes, and do not rush the press.

Easy to service and set, parts are cheap if needed, and they load about anything and any load.

10. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

In the event that it matters to you, Dillon does not offer a .410 conversion (at least at the moment) and RCBS offers neither .410 nor 28 gauge.

Both are lovely companies to deal with, and while I have no experience with their shotshell loaders, their metallic stuff is truly excellent and I own both. For shotshells, I've always used P-W (375, 600, 800+) and probably shouldn't try to comment on any others.

But I love my 800+'s and will have them as long as I can shoot. When I can't shoot any more, toss some dirt on me.

Tony

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I just added an electric drive to my PW 800B. Had a MEC 9000, and this is a far better machine. Call Jim Cunningham and pick up one of his refurbished machines. You can't go wrong with a PW. .....mike

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon, I've never had a shell drop from the feeder anyway, but correctly. I've loaded over 50K on my first dillon, and 20k on the 2nd one I bought. You can put 85-90 empties in the hopper at a time with out any problem.

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

PW all the way!!You can get one off EBAY at a very affordable price and they reload fast once you learn how to "drive"them.Also "WHIZ" is on this site to take care of any problem you may have with the unit.PJ

14. ansvel

ansvel Member

Just do not use PW on grey 7/8 wads it's disaster..Because this wad is longer then 1 or 1-1/8 and PW's ram smashed the wad’s petals into the shells no mater what I did. I use PW 800+.

15. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I have a MEC 9000 hydralic unit, it is the BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP, I have ever seen. There should be a class action suit against Mec for making those things. I had carpal tunnel, could not pull a lever any more, sold my Horandy 366 to get this turd, the old loader is 10 times the loader this thing is. DO NOT BUY A MEC.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

levi391, it just happens to be my weak for turds, I'd buy yours at a "turd" price? Hap

17. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I don't believe anyone answered Santajo123 question above.

With the P/W shell feeder, you just dump in a small ocean of shells (I think it is rated at 500, never really checked, but it holds a lot of them).

I routinely dump STS and Nitro hulls both, and fill both with 1 oz of 8's and 17 grains of 700X, Win primer. I inspect and box the colors separately after my 5 gallon bucket fills up under the bench, which does not take long.

The shell feeder feels faster, but the real savings is ease of loading. One less thing to worry about. I simply have a hand full of wads and my right foot moves back and forth. Just watch the shell roll through the pvc pipe into the bucket. I honestly watch the primer feed and station 1 to make sure the hull feed correctly.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I will reccomend the 366 Hornady. I can load 100 rounds in 10 minutes on mine, but a comfortable sustained pace would be more like 400 rounds per hour. It is an easy machine to adjust to get those shells looking perfect. I also have an 800B PW and it makes shells faster but it is more difficult to make minor adjustments with. The PW seems to be the better built of the two but it is quite a bit more complex.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is another vote for the Hornady 366. I have to disagree with the speed ratings mentioned above. The P/W requires stopping at each end of the stroke - the bottom to add the wad and the top to add the hull. On the Hornady 366 you add both the wad and the hull at the bottom of the stroke. Which one do you think is faster? I have both loaders and the Hornady 366 will out produce the P/W 900.

Jim Skeel

20. dws

dws TS Member

Another vote for Dillon SL 900. Great Quality, no bushings AND Dillon's service is Top Shelf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.