1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which reloader?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by no powder, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no powder

no powder Member

Have been reloading for about five years with a single stage MEC. Am currently shooting about 300 rounds per week and am spending to much time loading and not enough time shooting! Am going to purchase a progressive and can't decide between a MEC 9000 or an RCBS GRAND. Am leaning toward the RCBS but don't know anyone who has any experience with one good or bad. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Am loading 12 GA. GARTH from PA.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have sold and serviced most brands of shotshell presses in my travels.

The Mec 9000 GN is going to be hard to beat.

3. dws

dws TS Member

The Dillon is a good bet. There service is 2'nd to none.

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Buy the brand I use. It must be the best or I wouldn't have bought it.

jim brown

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Mec, P/W, Spolar are the units I see most often listed. Bang for the buck, Mec is pretty hard to beat. I love my P/W 800+, and have never heard a discouraging comment about a Spolar. Price becomes an issue sometimes, and based on that alone, Mec would have to be a odds on favorite. I had a Grabber, and then a couple of 9000 units before getting the P/W. I can't say the Mec ever gave me a concern. It is just a function of your loading enjoyment.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

So, it sounds like a basic progressive that satisfies many without mortgaging the castle is the MEC line - which I happen to agree with. If you're not ready for the 9000 H MEC (hydraulic operated by foot pedal) then the next step(s) down is the 9000 G or the Grabber. The difference between those two is that the Grabber requires the operator to manually turn the shell plate where the 9000 G rotates the shell plate automatically. I have considerable experience with the Grabber and Hydraulic models and would be satisfied with only Grabbers if I had to decide again. I like deciding when to rotate the hull plate myself and I know several acquaintances that have 9000 Gs and disable the automatic rotation feature because they prefer rotating at their timing. If I wanted max. speed and still good quality reloads in the MEC line, I'd go with the 9000H....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I use a Hornady 366. It's freeken bullet proof and in the very rare event that a part is needed, Hornady takes care of you ... no questions asked. I have two, a newer model in 12 GA and a much older first generation model in 20 GA. The big difference between the two is that the newer machine auto ejects out the back and has a swing out wad guide. The older machine returns the finished shell to position one and does not have a swing out guide.

I added two key upgrades to mine, the primer cut off and the universal auto adjusting primer seater. I would not have any other machine, period. It's better than the Dillon, only slightly less slick that the Spolar at a fraction of the cost and it is equal to any PW machine that does not have the hydraulic advance. That's my opinion anyway based on my experimenting and dinking around. Take it for what it cost you.

8. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

MEC 9000 on top of the ATS electric base. An instant success. Push button operation. Puts enjoyment back in the reloading process.

No oil. No mechanical fluid pump. No fluid tubes. No noise. No foot pedal to push banging on the floor. No hyd oil oder. If you like all that crap to fool with, go hyd. Otherwise, ATS.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

RCBS has a super service department. They just keep sending free plastic parts to the boss for his Grand, and boy, he needs a bunch of them. The girl in the RCBS office knows his name and address just by his voice. Good machine. It just has too many breakable cheap plastic parts.

Hard to beat MEC for the money spent.

Me? I've got 2 P/W's and once upon a time, a long time ago, I ordered parts for one of them.

10. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

MEC Grabber is by far the best value for the dollar, and will easily keep up with your needs. You can get more features and pay a LOT more...but IMHO...the Grabber is the real value. I've used mine for 28 yrs. with NO issues other than a few "wear parts" being replaced.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a solid PW fan, but for your first progressive, I would look closely at MEC.

Pat Ireland

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found a 650 for cheap money for my first loader, well first 2. A 12 and 20g for 100.00. If or when I upgrade it will be a 9000. I have learned the mecs. It is the only loaders found locally. I currently have 5 set up and a few more under the bench. I intend to set them up for steel shot. Anyway the 650 works great for me and once you get going with it a 10box/hour is easy to do. If money was not a issue 1st I would just buy shells 2nd I may look into spolar or other models with hull dropers electric drives and such.

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

The Pacific/Hornady 366 is built like a brick.

Not as easy to find parts over the counter as MEC, but the phone support at Hornaday is excellent. It is a little harder to change over as you have to change the bushings (no adjustable bar available) but when I get fine-tuned on a particular load, you can crank out some shells in a real hurry.

They pop-up on auction sites/web boards quite often if your willing to take that chance. They do not wear out, mine is about 30 years old.

SW

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a PW fan. I use a Platinum 2000 and have been completely satisfied with it for 6 years. The only time I needed parts was to add a shell counter which Whiz quickly supplied. Whis White is on here regularly and is a wealth of PW knowledge for anyone in need. The MEC is a very good starter loader but I would bet you will upgrade it someday so do it now

15. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

GRAND !

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I started reloading on the Grabber 15 years ago, I still have it but also have the 9000G and a 9000H. They are all the same other than how they rotate. Most of my reloads are 1oz, so they are done on the 9000H for speed, the 9000G is for my 1 1/8oz loads and I have the old Grabber set up for loading Federal hulls.
    I've had to tweek each unit just slightly over the years but have had zero maintenance on them, only replacements have then the plastic wad finger guides.
    I see now that MEC is offering a 9000E, replaced the hydraulics with an electric motor. Anybody try one of these?
    I don't think you can beat a MEC for the money.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Another vote for the PW and get the case feeder.

I have a Spolar - Hydraulic (set up for Federal hulls), and it is a great machine, but I still wind up using the PW (set up for AA's). Speed is about the same on both machines.

I had very poor results with a MEC9000G and sold it after 6 months. If you go that way, find the biggest cookie sheet you can and place it between the press and the bench when you mount it. It will become obvious why I recommend this after the first couple of hours (or less - in my case).

I have not used the Grand or 366. After my experience with the MEC, I would give the RCBS a try if those were the only two choices. I really hated the MEC - but in all fairness, I am not very patient or talented. Therefore, I need a machine that is both idiot and bullet proof.

Don

18. Redman Bullets

Redman Bullets TS Member

No doubt, the Dillon is the best:) Real easy to use.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon: All you have to do is put a wad in the guide, and pull the handle. Mec is good for the low cost. But, if you want to move up, buy a Dillon. If you want to spend big $$$$, buy a Spolar. You'll get what you pay for. I have a friend that bought a RCBS, about a year ago. I don't think he has ever got the primer feed working. Load's primers by hand....... Lots of broken part's.

20. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Call Whiz, buy a P-W make lots of shells and enjoy it! I spent about two years trying to talk myself into the move from a Grabber to a P-W; the only thing I have enjoyed more than the P-W is a Perazzi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.