1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Reloader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by McHale1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. McHale1

McHale1 TS Member

Which shotshell reloading press do you use and would you recommend it to others? I started back to trapshooting roughly a year ago, but haven't started back reloading yet. If I'm going to shoot 15-20,000 targets a year reloading would probably provide significant savings even at today's component prices.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

McHale1,

That is really subjective, and each of us have strong opinions on the right loader. Much is it is based on your ability to spend on it.

If price does not scare you, Spolar hands down is the best. Either hydraulic or electric drive from PW and you will have a world class machine. Small window of lag time to order a new one. I have one of each of those, and are fabulous.

I also bought just last year a Mec 9000E Auto mate unit. Sole purpose in life was to load top gun, estate or gun club hulls with the steel base. Basically throw away shells, load one and let fly out of my auto.

Both of the above will make a great load. I enjoy both of them, and obviously the Spolar units are like driving a finely tuned race car. Mec kind of like flying through traffic in a VW. However, both get it done, so as I said, depends on what you are willing to invest vs. the reward and pleasure of loading.

3. Lewes

Lewes Member

I have 2 MEC 9000 one in 28 gauge the other in 12. I got them used for a good price. They work fine, are easy to use and parts are readily available. I load mostly 1 oz in 12 gauge for sporting clay shooting. Irv

4. John55

John55 Active Member

I had several MECs over the years and all did the job. Bought an RCBS 'Grand" a few years back and love it. Much higher quality, smoother to operate and parts are free for life. Doesn't load a bit better shell than the MEC but for me it is much easier to use. IF I were to ever buy another machine I'd probably buy a Dillon, just to get the case feed and do away with all the bushings!

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I have 4 PW's for sale. 12,20,28, and 410. Pm me if interested.

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I like my PW800+.

7. Zu Brechen

Zu Brechen Member

I vote for the Hornady 366. Any problems, call Hornady, they stand behind their product. Invest in the large hoppers for volume and efficiency.

JL

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn how to reload shotgun shells on a Mec single stage press. When you get good at it graduate to a Mec progressive press. HMB

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pacific/Hornady 366

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lwRDYFOVnZI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

You say you haven't started back to reloading yet, so what did you use before? Any reason you wouldn't go back to whatever you used to have? That might be a place to start, what did you like and what didn't you like about that one? Other than that, Didreckson is right, you'll find as many opinions as responders to your question and they are all essentially correct. Most loaders are more machine than we really need. Speed, quality, reliability are there in them all. Personally I have a MEC 9000H and a Spolar. I prefer the Spolar.

Greg

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You didn't say what your budget was. I'd start with a used Grabber and the work from there. 15-20K a year will require something durable and sorta quick as well.

Depending on your age, an automated something-or-other will be a smart choice. 15-20K of cycling a press by hand tends to take it's toll on older joints and tendons. Your call. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you plan to load 20,000 per year you will need some sort of power loader unless you enjoy the pain of arthritis. I believe investing in a good power loader is a better than shoulder socket replacement.

The Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus with an Auto-Drive will remanufacture those 20,000 shells without destroying your shoulder or back.

Send me your shipping address for a quote including the shipping.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

"I believe investing in a good power loader is a better than shoulder socket replacement. "

Jim, my steel shoulder gives no pain after 200 rounds - much better than the bone shoulder that was replaced :/) And I don't think reloading (MEC 600 for 12 ga and 650 for 16 ga)contributed to my arthritis. But I wouldn't mind a quote as well.

Jack Scullion

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

As mentioned the Spolar and the PW are both considered top of the line loaders. Kind of a Ford-Chevy thing as to which you prefer. Jim Skeel is a PW distributor, and here is a link to the Spolar website.

I don't have any experience on a PW, but can certify that the buying from Carter and Dixsie Spolar, along with post purchase customer support is top notch! With the recent change in primer ram, the Spolar has been 100% free of tipped primers. Any time I have needed a bushing, or a smooth pre-crimp, it has been in the mail the same day I called. They are good people.

I still pull the handle but if you bought the hydraulic or one of the other power assist devices, your reloading would be a magical experience:)

15. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Mec 9000

Mec Sizemaster

RCBS

Hornady 366

Mec 9000 Hydraulic

All work well. Personally I like and use the RCBS the most, only for ease of operation. Seems it'e easier to push the handle down rather than pull the handle on the Mecs.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I load about the same as you are going to load a year. I use a PW800+ with electric drive for my primary shells. And a Dillon 900SL for my secondary shells and everything I want to make up in between. Everything is easy to change on the Dillon, not so on the PW. The PW will make 500+ shells an hour. And the Dillon will make a lot more then 500 shells an hour, but you have to pull the handle. You can by both for the price of a Spolar. And they are both great machines.

17. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Mec Sizemaster for some reloads or a Mec 9000G for lots of reloads.Had mine for years and very few issues.Great machines.On a 1 to 10 i`ll give mine a 10.

18. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Game Warden, I believe the PW800+ will do what you are looking for.

19. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Spolar, you purchase the different gauge, and swap them out. I haven't done it but most say the swap takes 10-20 minutes. The different gauages are a bit expensibe, but cheaper than buying multiple presses.

20. Wass

Wass Member

I loaded on a MEC grabber for 25 years. About 15 months ago I decided to take the plunge and by the best there is. Spolar seemed to have almost a cult like following on this forum, so I decided to purchase a new unit from them.

I got the Spolar with their hydraulic unit and absolutely love it. 1st class service on a machine that is pure magic to behold.

I used to dread having to reload on my old grabber and considered it a chore.

After 15 months of reloading on my "still new to me" Spolar, I can honestly say that I look forward to reloading and actually enjoy it. It helps that everything goes so fast too, so I don't need to spend an entire Saturday getting my reloading done.

My only regret is that I didn't purchase it earlier in my reloading career.

Wasss